Thursday, January 2, 2020

End of the Year Survey 2019



Photo Credit

The End of the Year Survey was created by Jamie @ The Perpetual Page Turner. It's a fantastic survey to highlight what you read throughout the year and a good way to wrap up how you felt about the reading progress you've made. I love this survey, and I highly recommend checking out her blog where you can read all of her answers too!

Note: The survey is for books you read throughout the year, no matter when they were published, and is not limited to just books that were released in 2019!

Let's jump into the questions!

**2019 READING STATS**


Number Of Books Read: 76
Number Of Re-Reads: 15
Genre You Read The Most From: Young Adult, but also surprisingly manga/comics/graphic novels

BEST IN BOOKS 

1. Best book you read in 2019? 

(If you have to cheat, you can break it down by genre if you want or 2019 release vs. backlist)

Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn Marsh 
 

2. Book you were excited about & thought you were going to love but didn't? 


A Question of Holmes by Brittany Cavallaro 

3. Most surprising (in a good or bad way) book you read? 


The UnHoneymooners by Christina Lauren

4. Book you "pushed" the most people to read (and they did)? 


I don't know if anyone read any of the books I recommend haha. I hope they do. I think my most recommended book has been Reign of the Fallen/Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn Marsh. 

5. Best series you started in 2019? Best sequel of 2019? Best series ender of 2019? 


Best New Series: My Hero Academia Manga
Best Sequel: Vengeful by V.E. Schwab
Best Series Ender:  I finished very little series (I guess I found a new goal for 2020) and the ones I did finished were disappointing, so I don't have an answer.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2019? 


Tamsyn Muir, Casey McQuiston, & Jessica Townsend.

7. Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone? 


The Miracles of the Namiya General Store by Keigo Higashino.

8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? 


Beyond A Darkened Shoreby Jessica Leake 

9.  Book you read in 2019 that you would be MOST likely to re-read next year? 


Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir 

10. Favorite cover of book you read in 2019? 


Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks 

11. Most memorable character of 2019? 


Gideon Nav from Gideon the  Ninth 

12.Most beautifully written book in 2019? 


Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake 

13. Most though-provoking/life changing book of 2019? 


Red, White, & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston. I am not sure how to explain why this book means so much to me, but I think it's the feeling of hope it gives to the readers. I love it so much. 

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2019 to finally read?


The Near Witch by V.E. Schwab 

15. Favorite passage/Quote from a book you read in 2019? 


 "Maybe we are broken. But we put ourselves back together. We survived. That's what makes us so powerful. And as for family - well, blood is always family, but family doesn't always have to be blood." - Vengeful by V.E. Schwab

16. Shortest & Longest book you read in 2019? 


Shortest: Fence Volume One by C.S. Pacat
Longest: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (re-read) or Wundersmith by Jessica Townsend 

17. Book that shocked you the most? 


It is actually a web-comic, Killing Stalking by Koogi. 

18. OTP of the year (you will go down with this ship!)


 Odessa & Meredy (Song of the Dead) or Gideon & Harrow (Gideon the Ninth)

19. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year. 


Cassidy and Jacob from the City of  Ghosts sequel, Tunnel of Bones by Victoria Schwab 

20. Favorite book you read in 2019 from an author you've read previously. 


Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn Marsh 

21. Best book you read in 2019 that you picked up based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure/bookstagram/etc. 


Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2019? 


Gideon Nav 

23. Best 2019 debut you read? 


Gideon the Ninth 

24. Best world building/most  vivid setting you read this year? 


My Hero Academia manga series or Beyond A Darkened Shore by Jessica Leake 

25. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most fun to read? 


Goldie Vance by Hope Larson 

26. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2019? 


I want to preface this by saying I am a big baby and I cry at 90% of the books I read. But the books that made me the most emotional: Girl Made of Stars, My Hero Academia Vol. 11, Red White & Royal Blue, & Gideon the Ninth.

27. Hidden gem of the year? 


The Miracles of the Namiya General Store by Keigo Higashino.

28. Book that crushed your soul? 


Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

29. Most unique book you read in 2019? 


Check Please! Book One: #Hockey by Ngozi Ukazu 

30. Book that made you the most mad (doesn't necessarily mean you didn't like it)? 


Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell 


YOUR BLOGGING/BOOKISH LIFE


1. New favorite book blog/bookstagram/Youtube channel you discovered in 2019? 


A good friend of mine, Destiny @ Howling Libraries recently started a BookTube channel! I love this human so much and she deserves the world so go check out her channel! I'll link her social medias below.

Twitter

Destiny's blog was my answer for last year, so if you haven't checked her out yet you have a new chance to right your wrongs and check out not only her blog but her BookTube channel! 

2. Favorite post you wrote in 2019?


Paring Music With Books 

This was so much fun to put together and I'd love to keep going and do more. It's something I am constantly thinking about while listening to music.

3. Favorite bookish related photo you took in 2019? 


 

4. Best bookish event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, etc).


I don't go to many book events, so I don't have anything for this. However, one of my absolute favorite authors and a good friend of mine, Sarah Glenn Marsh, attended my wedding and honestly it meant the absolute world to me. 

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2019? 



Seeing my name, Heather Cilley, in the acknowledgements of Song of the Dead. I never expected for Sarah to do something so kind, I just loved helping out an incredibly talented and deserving friend.

6. Most challenging thing about your blogging or reading life this year? 


Blogging and reading not only while planning my wedding, but trying to blog or read after the wedding. Not only did I get very sick, but I had such a wedding hangover. I feel like the second half of 2019 I was in such a long slump that I felt like I was crawling out of it and then I'd just drop right back into it. 

7. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be by comments or views)? 


I believe it was my review for Black AF: America's Sweetheart by Kwanza Osajyefo,  Jennifer Johnson, and Sho Murase. I think one of the creators of this comic commented on my tweet promoted the review, and it must have gotten a lot of traction that way. It has the most views any review has gotten, especially since book reviews are the least popular posts I make. Which is unfortunate, because it's my favorite kind of post to write.

8. Post you with got a little more love? 


Honestly, maybe Pairing Music With Books. I had so much fun with it and I would have love for more to see it! But in the end, I post on my blog for me so I am okay with any views I get. 

9.  Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc)?


Thanks to my fantastic Matron of Honor (Erica @ Erica Robyn Reads) I now have so many favorite bookstores because she brought us to so many bookstores for Matt and my bachelor/bachelorette parties! 

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 


I read a lot of books I own, which felt great and I dented my list pretty well until we were gifted so many bookstore gift cards for the wedding and now I am drowning in new books again (woe is me right? ha). Other than that, I think this year I just focused on reading the books I wanted to read, despite the popularity, and I think it felt really good. 


LOOKING AHEAD



1. One book you didn't get to in 2019 but will be your number 1 priority in 2019? 


I am currently waiting on my library request of Little Women to arrive, so once that shows up I plan on reading it asap, since I haven't read it before. Other than that, I have no idea what my first book will be of 2019. I have so many new books to get through.

2. Book you are most anticipating for in 2020 (non-debut)? 


Harrow the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir and the paperback of Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn Marsh because it'll have extra content! 

3. 2020 debut you are most anticipating? 


It would have to be A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown or I Kissed Alice by Anna Birch. 

4. Series ending/a sequel you are most anticipating in 2020? 


Since I already said Harrow the Ninth, I'll say The Invisible Life of Addie Larue by V.E. Schwab. It's expected to release in October 2020 and I am dying for it. 

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2020? 


I am hoping to continue reading the books I own, finish some series I have started, and stick to my bullet journal. I was doing so well with my bullet journal in 2019 until October-ish and then I just got too busy. 


Thanks for reading!


If you end up doing this survey please link it to me so I can read your answers and of course make sure you credit the creator!


No comments:

Post a Comment