Friday, November 22, 2019

[Graphic Novel Review] Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks





Deja and Josiah are seasonal best friends.

Every autumn, all through high school, they’ve worked together at the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world. (Not many people know that the best pumpkin patch in the whole wide world is in Omaha, Nebraska, but it definitely is.) They say good-bye every Halloween, and they’re reunited every September 1.

But this Halloween is different—Josiah and Deja are finally seniors, and this is their last season at the pumpkin patch. Their last shift together. Their last good-bye.

Josiah’s ready to spend the whole night feeling melancholy about it. Deja isn’t ready to let him. She’s got a plan: What if—instead of moping and the usual slinging lima beans down at the Succotash Hut—they went out with a bang? They could see all the sights! Taste all the snacks! And Josiah could finally talk to that cute girl he’s been mooning over for three years . . .

What if their last shift was an adventure?


* * *

Although I picked up Pumpkinheads a little later in the year than I wanted to, I am so happy I still picked it up because this graphic novel is so adorable. If where you live is either still experiencing the cool colorful autumn this is a great graphic novel to pick up! And if you're like me, where colorful autumn is over and has been replaced with basically winter and you miss it, this is a great way to keep denying that winter is around the corner. 

The characters in Pumpkinheads are so incredibly cute. Deja is so determined to help her friend, Josiah, finally talk to this girl he's been crushing on every autumn for years. I really loved her enthusiasm and overall over the top personality. She's so witty and a little bossy but with absolute good intentions. I also really loved Josiah, who is less adventurous than Deja and often seems to be roped in her grand schemes but he never seems all that upset about it. I love reading about timid or even cautious boy characters, I don't think we see them as much as I'd like. Especially teens or older. Although the story is predictable, the characters are so charming that  I didn't care. I really love their friendship. I think Deja and Josiah have a great dynamic and it comes through so well through the page because of the art and writing. 

The pumpkin patch both Deja and Josiah have been working at together for the last few autumns is basically a character on it's own. The art of each of the food stands, and activities available at the pumpkin patch were all perfectly drawn and colored. It made me incredibly jealous that I wasn't able to just melt into the book and enjoy all the fun autumnal goodies available. On top of the art, the food descriptions made me hungry for all of the different food Deja wanted to try. This year, she decided she's try all the foods she never got the chance to try because how busy she was when working. Each food made me wanted to reach into the art and try it myself. It's almost torture. 

I have always enjoyed Rainbow Rowell's writing style, and often enjoy her books, and this is no exception. Often her characters are really sweet and charming which makes it easy to love them. Especially if it's a cute love story, which is typically what she writes. Also, Faith Erin Hicks' art is gorgeous. I read her graphic novel The Adventures of Superhero Girl and I loved it, so I definitely need to look up more of her work! 

Overall, I highly recommend this book! I wish I could have read it earlier to give it a really good recommendation when everyone was still in the autumn-y spirit but if you haven't let go of autumn yet, this is one to pick up! I know some locations are still lucky enough to enjoy autumn, so if you're in the mood I think Pumpkinheads is a perfect read.



Thanks for reading!


2 comments: