Tuesday, March 26, 2019

[Top Ten Tuesday] Pairing Music With Books




Photo Credit : Malte Wingen
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about ten songs that remind me of specific songs! This is a blog topic I have been thinking about for a while so I was really excited to see that we had an audio freebie as this week's post! There will probably be spoilers for each of these books but I will try to be as vague as possible so it makes as little sense as possible to someone who hasn't read them! But read with caution.

So let's jump into the songs!


Art by Charlie Bowater
Book: Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas
Song: You Should See Me In A Crown by Billie Eillish
[Verse 1]
Bite my tongue, bide my time
Wearing a warning sign
Wait 'til the world is mine
Visions I vandalize
Cold in my kingdom size
Fell for these ocean eyes.

[Chorus]
You should see me in a crown
I'm going to run this nothing town
Watch me make 'em bow
One by, one by one
One by, one by one
You should see me in a crown
Your silence is my favorite sound
Watch me make 'em bow
One by, one by one 
One by, one by one 

[Bridge]
 You say 'Come over baby
I think you're pretty'
I'm okay, I'm not your baby
If you think I'm pretty

Aelin Galathynius, our main character, is this badass queen on her way to take back the crown of her land, and this song has reminded me of her ever since it was released! Granted, it's obviously never going to be an exact match. We all know Aelin is the worst at "biting her tongue" but it's the overall vibe of the song that reminds me so much of her and her chosen court. I didn't share all the lyrics, but I did link them above along with the music video on YouTube. Warning for the music video: spiders, lots of spiders. 

 
Art by Jo Painter
Book: Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh 
[Verse 1]
I drive a new path so I won't have to pass
The place where you first held my hand
And I'm trying to get back to normal
Not too stiff too formal
What do I do with my hands

[Pre-Chorus] 
Now I' m drifting through our regular store
Pretending I'm not wishing you behind every door
And I can't remember what my words were good for
Now I don't get to say I love you anymore

[Chorus] 
 I'm swimming back to shore
Just trying to keep your 
Memory from washing over me
And oh, I'm sure
I'll find my voice once more
But what are words good for
If I don't get to say I love you anymore

[Verse 2] 
I try not to be distracted by the absence of your coat thrown on my floor
But every part of me can't help but see
The places you should be
The spaces in-between our words 

[Bridge] 
Rain soaked cobblestones
The streets you walked me home
Your pictures on my phone
(And I don't get to say I love you anymore)

Storm swept in your name
And covered me with rain
Now nothing feels the same
And I don't get to say I love you anymore 

The Reign of the Fallen has a lot of themes, but one of the biggest ones is grief, something our main character Odessa deals with for the majority of the book and even the series as a whole. This is a fantasy story, so the phone reference doesn't match up but like many of the ones on this list the vibe of this song reminds me of Odessa. It's heartbreaking and filled with loneliness. Odessa is always seeing the loved one she lost everywhere she goes, and that is something portrayed heavily in the song. 


 tw (both book & lyrics): sexual assault
Book: Sadie by Courtney Summers
[Verse 1]
I am so sick and tired of this world
And all these women with their dreams shattered
From some man's sweaty, desperate touch
God damn it, I've had enough
When did you come to think refusal was sexy?
Can't you see the tear in her eyes?
How did you ever think you had the right to
Put your entitled hands up her thighs?
[Chorus]
You are the problem here
You are the problem here
No one made you do anything
 You are the problem here
You are the problem here
No one made you do anything 

[Post-Chorus]
And I 
And I hope you fucking suffer

[Verse 2]
Do you really expect anyone to feel sorry
That you ruined your own life?
You did it when you thought you had the right to
Put your entitled hands up her thighs
And we don't need to be diminished 
To sisters or daughters or mothers 
I am a human being, that is how you relate to me

Sadie is about a young girl who goes missing after her sister is murdered because she is tracking down the man who killed her sister.  It's an incredibly dark story but I feel like this song not only fits the book but would be the choice song for the trailer if it was ever made into a movie. 

Art by Pinoyshot95 on Etsy
Book: My Hero Academia manga by Kohei Horikoshi
Song: Polaroid by Imagine Dragons
[Verse 1]
I'm a reckless mistake
I'm a cold night's intake
I'm a one night too long
I'm a come on too strong

[Chorus] 
All my life, I've been living in the fast lane
Can't slow down, I'm a rolling freight train
One more time, gotta start all over
Can't slow down, I'm a lone red rover

[Verse 2]
I'm a hold my card close
I'm a wreck what I love most
I'm a first class letdown
I'm a "shut up, sit down"

[Pre-Chorus 1]
I am a head case
I am the color of boom
That's never arriving 
And you are the pay raise
Always a tough out of view
And I am the color of boom

Katsuki Bakugou, one of the prominent characters in My Hero Academia, is this arrogant, aggressive teenage boy who is incredibly over confident. Although I am not far in the manga, I have reached season 3 of the show and I think Bakugou isn't as confident and self assured as he pretends to be. I think in his lowest moments, this is a song that he would probably relate to.


Photo Credit
Book: Legend by Marie Lu
Song: Bulletproof Heart by My Chemical Romance 
[Chorus]
Gravity
Don't mean too much to me
I'm who I've got to be
These pigs are after me, after you
Run away, like it was yesterday
And we could run away, if we could run away
Run away from me

[Verse 1]
I got a bulletproof heart
You got a hollow-point smile
Me and your runaway scars
Got a photograph dream on the getaway mile
Let's blow a hole in this town
And do our talking with a laser beam
Gunning out of this place in a bullet's embrace
Then we'll do it again

[Pre-Chorus 1]
How can they say
"Jenny, could you come back home?"
'Cause everybody knows you don't
Ever want to come back 
Let me be the one to save you
[Verse 2] 
I'm shooting out of this room
Because I sure don't like the company
Stop your preaching right there
'Cause I really don't care
And I'll do it again
So get me out of my head
Because it's getting kind of cramped, you know
Coming ready or not
When the motor gets hot
We can do it again
I am not sure why, but often when I read I see character and settings in a anime-style picture versus real people. But with Legend, it's like heightened even more and I think it would be such a cool anime. June and Day are running from the Republic's military. I see this in June's POV because in the beginning of the story she is a prodigy of the military (bullet proof heart) and Day is this unknown criminal they're trying to catch (hollow-point smile). I think their team up against the military reminds me a lot of this song. 

Art by DaeKazu
Book: The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
Song: Gun by CHVRCHES
[Verse 1]
You had better run from me
With everything you own
'Cause I am gonna come for you 
With all that I have
I am gonna break you down
To tiny, tiny parts
I never believed, but I see it now
I'm learning your lesson, I'm learning your lesson

[Pre-Chorus 1]
Did it make you feel so clever?
Did you wear it on your sleeve?
Did you see another picture
Where I was not a part so for entwined?
There's no other way, never run far
Take a good swing at me and everything is even 
So finally, we agree: no place for promises here
You better run,  you better run so

[Chorus]
Hide, hide, I have burned your bridges
I will be a gun and it's you I'll come for
Hide, hide, now it's all easy
I will be a gun and it's you I'll come for
 
This song reminds me of Katniss because throughout the story she doesn't seem to buy the whole Mockingjay thing, but she does take in the lead role. When I listen to this song I see her talking to Snow, Coin, and the Capitol as a whole. You could also see her saying it to the other kids in the Hunger Games in both the first and second books. 

Art by AppyDoodles
Book: Small Town Hearts by Lillie Vale
Song: Crush by Tessa Violet
 [Verse 1]
I can't focus on what needs to be done
I'm on notice hoping that you don't run, ah
You think I'm tepid but I'm misdiagnosed
Cause I'm a stalked I seen all of your posts

[Pre-Chorus] 
And I'm just tryna play it cool now
But that's not what I wanna do now
And I'm not tryna be with you now, you now
[Chorus]
But  I could be your crush, like, throw you for a rush, like
Hoping you'd text me so I could tell you
I been thinking 'bout your touch like
Touch, touch, touch, touch, touch
I could be your crush, crush, crush, crush, crush
I got a fascination with your presentation
Making me feel like you're on my island
You're my permanent vacation
Touch, touch, touch, touch, touch
I could be your crush, crush, crush, crush, crush
[Verse 2]
You make it difficult to not overthink
And when I'm with you I turn all shades of pink, ah
I wanna touch you but don't wanna be weird
It's such a rush, I'm thinking "wish you were here"

[Verse 3]
I fill my calendar with stuff I can do
Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you
And I'm pretending you ain't been on my mind
But I took an interest in the things that you like

Babe and Levi are crushing on each other, it's the start of their relationship. While I was reading Small Town Hearts it reminded me of this song so much. This song's vibe is super cutesy and sweet which is exactly what Small Town Hearts is too! 

Art by emmj_art
Book: Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
Song: Here by Alessia Cara
[Verse 1]
I'm sorry if I seem uninterested
Or I'm not listenin', or I'm indifferent
Truly I aint got no business here
But since my friends are here, I just came to kick it
But really I would rather be at home all by myself
Not in this room
With people who don't even care about my well being
I don't dance, don't ask, I don't need a boyfriend
So you can, go back, please enjoy your party
I'll be here
Somewhere in the corner
Under clouds of marijuana
With this boy who's hollering
I can hardly hear
Over this music I don't listen to
And I don't wanna get with you
So tell my friends that I'll be over here

[Chorus]
Oh-oh-oh here, oh-oh-oh here
Oh I ask myself, what am I doing here?
Oh-oh-oh here, oh-oh-oh here
And I can't wait 'til we can break up out of here

[Verse 2]
Excue me if I seem a little unimpressed with this
An anti-social pessimist, but usually I don't mess with this
And I know you mean only the best
And your intentions aren't to bother me
But honestly I'd rather be
Somewhere with my people
We can kick it and just listen to
Some music with a message like we usually do
And we'll discuss our big dreams 
How we plan to take over the planet
So pardon my manners
I hope you'll understand that I'll be here
Not in the kitchen
With the girl who's always gossiping about her friends
So tell them I'll be here
Right next to the boy who's throwin' up
Cause he can't take what's in his cup no more
Oh God, why am I here?

[Bridge]
Hours later congregatin' next to the refrigerator 
Some girl talkin' 'bout her haters, she aint got none
How did it come to this? I shoulda never come to this
So holla at me, I'll be in the car when you're done
I'm stand-offish, don't want what you're offering'
And I'm done talkin' awfully sad it had to be that way
So tell my people when they're ready that  I'm ready
And  I'm standing by the TV with my beanie low
Yo I'll be over here

Leah is incredibly sarcastic and stand-offish at times. She has a great group of friends who seem to be a bit more outgoing and loud. I think for me Leah has always been a person who prefers smaller scenes with her friends only than big parties. If you've read the book you also know the students are often talking about their after-high school plans and their big dreams which comes up in the song too. The vibe overall reminds me of Leah. 

Art by Melanie Bourgeois (Left is Marcella)
Book: Vengefulby V.E. Schwab
Song: Catch Me If You Can by Kelsey Karter
 [Verse 1]
I ran away with only ten bucks in my pocket
And a twenty thousand ransom for my head
My baby said I didn't take it like you wanted
So I kissed him on the neck and shot him dead
He's such an artist how he'd paint a broken promise
Now he's laying on the floor covered in red
And if I'm honest, you're the man to keep him modest
Yeah, he broke me so I had to get revenge 

[Chorus]
When they come for me, oh, I'll be gone for miles baby
And I'll think of you and sway to your favorite song
When they find me  I'll be riding high in style, baby
And I'll look down and I'll say

[Post-Chorus]
Catch me if you can 
Ooh, aahh, mmm
Catch me if you can
[Verse 2] 
Oh, he had a face so pretty
Typa smile that makes you dizzy
Uh, it almost took me down, hey
And when it hit me, yeah, he started acting fishy
Bet he wishes he was nicer to me now
Such a composer, how we wrote the story for us
Bet you didn't see this coming, did you now?
And  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't crying 
But be broke me so hard I had to take him out
[Bridge] 
It's over now
But I'll see you in another life
Can't catch me now
It's over now
But I'll wait for you up in the sky
It's over now 
If you know Marcella's story I feel like its pretty obvious why this song connects with her story. It's the vibe of the story I think works so well. Marcella is this badass woman who won't let anyone get in her way after what she's been through. 

Art by Vikrotia Ridzel
Song: Unsteady by X Ambassadors 
[Intro]
Hold, hold on, hold on to me
'Cause I'm a little unsteady, a little unsteady
Hold, hold on, hold on to me
Cause I'm a little unsteady, a little unsteady

[Verse 1]
Mama, come here
Approach, appear
Dad, I'm alone
'Cause this house don't feel like home
[Pre-Chorus]
If you love me, don't let go, woah
If you love me, don't let go
[Chorus]
Hold, hold on, hold on to me
'Cause I'm a little unsteady, a little unsteady
Hold, hold on, hold on to me
Cause I'm a little unsteady, a little unsteady
[Verse 2]
Mother, I know
That you're tired of being alone
Dad, I know you're trying
To fight when you feel like flying

 This song has always reminded me of George, after the Battle of Hogwarts. He's grieving Fred's death with his parents who are also grieving. It makes my heart hurt but I think the pain comes through the song so well. Sorry if this one broke your heart, but I think it fits perfectly. It could also maybe be in Teddy Lupin's POV, possibly thinking of his late parents.

Obviously, I recommend checking out each of these songs on their own because they're all great, but especially if you've read the books I have paired with the songs. Tell me if you agree with any of my pairings! I'd love to know some songs you immediately think of when it comes to pairing books and music!

Thanks for reading!

18 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm so glad that Reign of the Fallen was chosen and totally agree about First Aid Kit.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reign of the Fallen is a favorite of mine, and thank you!! I thought of the song the moment I started compiling the list!

      Delete
  2. I love what you've done with the post! Very creative. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The throne of glass song is so perfect!

    Lotte | www.lottelauv.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Castle by Halsey is another one I thought fit the Throne of Glass series nicely! :)

      Delete
  4. I love this post! IT's such a cool idea and I love the song/ character /art combos you've put together. 😊
    My Audiobook Wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cool thing to do for this week's post!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/03/26/top-ten-tuesday-204/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh you have some good songs here! I love finding songs that suit books, and I used that as my topic this week too!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love it too it's so much fun! I cannot wait to read yours!

      Delete
  7. I love the song you picked out for Sadie. Nice job.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE your take on the theme this week! And I appreciate you adding the lyrics as well. <3

    This is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like how you included the lyrics, since I'm not familiar with all the songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I also linked the music videos along with where I got the lyrics if you're interested! :)

      Delete