Wednesday, March 27, 2019

[Comic Book Review] Goldie Vance Vol 1 by Hope Larson & Brittany Williams




GOLDIE VANCE IS ON THE CASE

Sixteen-year-old Marigold "Goldie" Vance has an insatiable curiosity. She lives at a Florida resort with her dad, who manages the place, and it's her dream to one day be the hotel's in-house detective. When Walter, the current detective, encounters a case he can't crack, together they utilize her smarts, skills, and connections to solve the mystery...even if it means getting into a drag race, solving puzzles, or chasing a helicopter to do it!

* * *

This was one of the cutest comic books  I've ever read. It makes so incredibly happy and I am so excited to continue with this series! Of course, because comic book volumes this review may be shorter than my others.

I love Goldie so much as a character. She's a badass detective who volunteers at the detective agency that is connected to the Florida resort she works at and lives in with her father. She has a passion, that can sometimes be annoying towards the head detective of the agency, to become an amazing detective and help anyone who needs it. I love her passion and desire to help everyone she can. I think her crushing on Diane is so cute and  I really loved their friendship.

The mystery was a little bit out there but it was so much dang fun! I have to admit that I was less interest in the mystery and more interested in the characters and Goldie's methods of solving the mystery.

The art is gorgeous and the colors used were so pretty. It's got this faded 50-60's vibe and I think the art portrays that perfectly. Besides the f/f representation with Goldie and Diane, there is a lot of diversity within the story. There are multiple POC characters, including Goldie who is biracial and her friend Cheryl (who I'd like to see more of) who is black. It's so good to see POC characters in comic books!

Overall, if you're in the mood for a super cute diverse comic book and better version of  Nancy Drew this is the one to pick!



Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment