Wednesday, June 12, 2019

[Book Review] The Near Witch & The Ash-Born Boy by V.E. Schwab





The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

There are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger, a boy who seems to fade like smoke, appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.


* * * 
tw for The Ash-Born Boy: parental abuse towards child 

I am so happy for V.E. Schwab. She had me crying during the freaking introduction. I don't know her personally, but I'm so proud of her and I only want happiness for her. The fact that this book was her first, and it was taken off the shelves and now so many years (and so many published books) later it's back on the shelves with a gorgeous new cover. I am so happy for her! The introduction was so heartwarming. 

"They are closer to nature than any human, because it is apart of them. But most people think witches are cursed."

Schwab is so great at writing girl characters. They're always so determined, quick witted, independent, and self assured in their decisions. They push past the expectations that are put upon them and they do what needs to be done to do the right thing. I love her characters,  but especially her girl ones and Lexi isn't an exception. It was easy to root for Lexi. She's incredibly confident in her instincts and stands up for what she believes in despite the consequences. I liked Cole, but I think I liked him even more after reading the short story after the book The Ash-Born Boy. I don't think we get to know him very much in The Near Witch, but from what we did get to know I liked. I do think that the relationship between both Cole and Lexi moved a bit quickly, but I wouldn't say it was insta-love, mostly because they acted like they were still just getting to know each other, which is why I was so surprised they were kissing so often for two people who just met. I didn't feel like they were ride or die for each other in the name of love, but because it was the right thing to do. Lexi knew that Cole didn't deserve to be accused and punished for something he didn't do, and Cole wanted to keep Lexi safe because she was often risking her life to protect him. It made sense, and didn't feel out of place for me. I think because of this, their romance didn't bother me too much. Especially since it's not a huge portion of the story. 

I genuinely hated Otto, Bo, and Tyler so much but all for different reasons. I hated Otto less, which is surprising because he's the biggest character of the three and pissed me off the most. But I at least could partially understand where he was coming from. He made a promise to his late brother that he'd take care of his nieces,  Lexi and her little sister Wren. It made sense why he was so overprotective and strict. It wasn't right, and he could have done it way better, but I could at least see where he was coming from. Tyler drove me insane because he had this weird obsession and possessive nature about Lexi like he owned her. I loved when she stood up for herself against him. And I really didn't like Bo because he was like Otto, but worse because he was cruel. He could actually kill, if he needed to, where Otto mostly threatened for show and didn't follow through.

"Fear is a strange thing. It has the power to make people close their eyes, turn away. Nothing good grows out of fear." 

I think Lexi's love for her father was written beautifully. For a character who has died before the events of the story, I feel like we got to know who he was and the kind of person and father he prided himself to be. I loved seeing who he was not only through the eyes of Lexi but also through the eyes of the witches and the townspeople. I think it was obvious that he was a compassionate, smart, and just man and I think it was obvious that he was well loved by many. 

Magda and Dreska are two characters I felt most drawn to and would have loved more page time with them! The town of Near has basically banished them and the judge and criticize everyone who visits them. But because Lexi's father trusts them, Lexi does too. I really loved the witches because they are handled with a lot of respect by Schwab. They are great mentors to Lexi, and despite being ridiculed by the town both Magda and Dreska take care of the townspeople. They are shown that they are unwelcome by many of the townsfolk but still the witches take time and care in protecting the townspeople and their children. It made me love them even more. 

"My father used to say that change is like a garden. It doesn't come up overnight, unless you are a witch. Things have to be planted and tended, and most of all, the ground has to be right."

This book definitely explores that not everything is so black and white. It honestly gave me some ParaNorman vibes, which is one of my favorite movies. Without giving anything away of both The Near Witch and ParaNorman, I'll be vague: but even if both stories are incredibly different, there is this underlying message of everything not being as black and white as it seems and being compassionate and thinking before jumping to conclusions. Another thing that is similar between the two is that they both have specific atmospheres, which I love. 

The Near Witch's atmosphere is very fairy-tale feeling in the best way. I am trash for all Schwab's stories, and it's because she spins the best tales. However, it's her writing that is my favorite thing about all her books. And I am in awe that her writing in The Near Witch, although maybe less rich as her writing style is now because of all her practice and experience, is still amazing. I had chills throughout reading The Near Witch and that is because of the atmospheric writing Schwab is known for, at least for me. 

 "Sometimes people need something - someone - to blame. It gives them peace until they can find the real answers."

My only real complaint is the mystery behind the missing children and who is taking them. It was fairly easy to figure out not only for the reader but even for Lexi. She figures it out quickly and there wasn't any sort of twist or surprise. I don't think that is necessarily an awful thing but it did make the ending a little anticlimactic. I also would have liked to have more page time with The Near Witch. The conflict with her seemed to start and end so quickly, and although I do see that the real villains was the mob mentality started by The Council, it would have been nice to get more closure with The Near Witch. 

On the short story at the end of the book, The Ash-Born Boy, I really loved this short story. I think getting an in depth story of Cole's past made me understand him a lot more and I think it's important to read it after finishing The Near Witch. You really feel sympathy for Cole and what he's been through, and it honestly made me sad. It's a dark story and incredibly heartbreaking to read. I don't want to say too much so I don't give anything away, but I think that if you read The Near Witch you certainly need to read this short story afterwards. I gave it four stars on Goodreads. 

"Long, long ago, the Near Witch lived in a small house on the farthest edge of the village, and she used to sing the hills to sleep."

I want to also point out the time and craftsmanship put into making the new editions of this story. I got the standard hardcover edition off Amazon (I preferred this one over the other editions you can find in Barnes and Noble) and it's absolutely beautiful. The cover art is gorgeous, it comes with a ribbon bookmark which is one of my favorite things that very few books do, and the under the dust jacket the hardcover book has a gorgeous gold art engraved in the middle of this rich beautiful brown binding. I am so glad I bought my copy versus borrowing it from the library because it's stunning.



Overall, I absolutely loved this story. This is the kind of book I would have loved to read at nighttime. I would have stayed up all night reading under my covers with a flashlight. The atmosphere alone is chilling and magnetic and I would have easily gotten in trouble the next morning for staying up too late. The writing and lure of the tale grabs hold of you and doesn't let go until you get to the ending.

I highly recommend this book, and I am again so impressed that this was Schwab's first book. No wonder she has become the amazing writer she is today. She's so talented and reading The Near Witch has just cemented my love for her stories.




Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Amazing review! I loved this one so much. Schwab's portrayal of the witches was honestly my favorite part. There's a line that says something like, "They take care of Near even when Near doesn't take care of them" - that's not the exact wording but the gist of it literally made me burst into tears because it was just so beautiful and sad. <3 I'm so glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL & HEARTBREAKING!! How can this be her FIRST book? After reading so many of her works I am not exactly surprised, she's obviously a writing magician, but I am so impressed!! <3

      Delete