Sunday, September 2, 2018

August Wrap-Up




This is my monthly post where I talk about how the month went for me when it came to reading and some events that maybe sparked me to read more (or stopped me from reading as much as I wanted to). I also link all the reviews I did in the month, update any reading challenges I've signed up for, discuss my plans for the following month, non-book things I've enjoyed, and give updates of my life. This year I have decided that I am not making a big deal on how many books I read or letting myself feel any guilt for the amount I didn't read. I am just going to read what sounds good in the moment without any guilt or pressure. I hope everyone has had a fantastic reading month and that next month goes even better!  Let's jump into how August went for me!

* = favorites of the month.

Book Reviews

Orange: Future by Ichigo Takano
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Interview With the Vampire by Anne Rice
[ARC] Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn Marsh *
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson *
[ARC] Sadie by Courtney Summers *
[ARC] Toil and Trouble: 15 Stories of Women & Witchcraft edited by Tess Sharpe
Puddin' by Julie Murphy *
Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas *
To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han
A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab *
A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab *
A Conjuring of  Light by V.E. Schwab *
Sailor Moon: Volume  One by Naoko Takeuchi
City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab *

My Other Posts

Mashing Together Books to Make A  More Epic Story
BookTube-A-Thon Wrap-Up
Favorite Book Blogs & Bookstagram Accounts
The NOPE Book Tag 
How To Get Back Into Reading After A Slump
The Hopeful Book Tag
Books That Should Be Available In Schools

Movies/TV Shows (Finished)

Interview With The Vampire *
This movie, despite it's cringey moments, is one of my favorites. I really enjoy the Anne Rice vampire books and although the movies are really weird adaptations, I find them entertaining.

To All the Boys I've Loved  Before *
This was SO CUTE! I think I actually liked it more than the book. I do want to read the next two but I may wait until the release of the next movie. Especially since it's been announced. I love Lara Jean so much in this movie. Lana Condor does a perfect job with portraying Lara. I know everyone is talking about Noah Centineo as Peter Kavinsky, who seems perfect as Peter. But I think Lana needs more hype also because she was great. I watched it twice and I already want to re-watch it. Maybe I can get my fiancé to watch it!

I Kill Giants *
I have to admit I went into this movie not sure if I'd like it. But I ended up absolutely loving it. It is this mix of Bridge to Terabithia, A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Lilo & Stitch (the sister relationships are SO similar).  I think it is a movie that's honestly being slept on and more people need to watch it!

Avengers: Infinity War *
So this came out this month on DVD so we of course had to watch it again. Neither of us had seen it since we watched it in theaters. It of course, broke my heart.

Princess Diaries *
This movie (and it's sequel, which we will be watching next month) is a classic and I love it forever. I had noticed that Netflix had both of them available to stream so I immediately made plans for us to sneak it into our schedules. It did not disappoint, as expected.

Currently Watching

Bachelor in Paradise
Although I do not think this is the strongest Paradise season, I am enjoying it and I am excited to see not only where it goes but who becomes the Bachelor of the following season.

The Good Place (Season One & Two) *
I loved re-watching season one, and season two has been just as good if not better. If you have not gotten the chance to watch this show I highly recommend it. It's available to stream on Netflix. I think it's one of the funniest shows on TV right now.

Sailor Moon *
We are still trudging through this amazing show. We have passed where I remember so it all seems new to me. Which has been so much fun. This has easily become a favorite of mine again.

Sabrina the Teenage Witch 
Like I said in other wrap ups. I am not loving this show and at this point I am just watching it for a few reasons. 1. my fiancé enjoys it. 2. I want to have watched as much as I can before the new show, which looks amazing. 3. I am kind of hate watching it by now. Like I feel like hate is too strong a word, but also I can't think of one that suits my feelings better. A great dislike perhaps?

Movie Trailers I'm Excited About

Bad Reputation - I have always been such a huge fan of Joan Jett and I am so excited to watch this documentary!
There has to be more trailers that came out this month, but I forgot to keep track of them and now I cannot remember any of them.

Favorite Blogs in the Bookish World

T10T: Blog/Social Media Shout-Outs! 

Destiny|Howling Libraries 
 Destiny does a fantastic job at combining a lot of amazing bloggers in one post. She was kind enough to put me with these bloggers! Which I am incredibly grateful for. If she looks familiar, I put her in my post about my favorite book blogs & Instagram accounts. I highly recommend checking out her post and subscribing to her blog!

Online Shop Spotlight: Literary Book Gifts 

Erica|Erica Robyn Reads   
 Erica is an amazing blogger, and she is so inventive with her posts. I know we are around 3/4 months away from Christmas, but it's never too early to start planning and putting away gifts when you can. There are so many great options in her blog about Literary Book Gifts so I highly recommend checking out her post and blog! She even has a great 20% code!

I can only imagine how many amazing posts I've missed this month. I fell down the reading hole and barely came up for air! So these are the only two I saved (I have a folder where I save all the movies, books, shows, posts, etc). I promise to do better in the future!

Writing & Life Updates

I have unfortunately done little writing this month. I know November for NaNoWriMo is going to be very writing heavy so I am giving myself some slack since I've been doing so well with reading. Plus I read very little in November, so I feel like it evens out. I have also been very distracted with wedding planning. We are currently ordering a bunch of stuff now while we have the money so in a year when we are in crunch time we aren't as stressed. Trying to save future Heather & Matt stress is my main goal. We are just so excited to keep planning. We have about a year and a month to keep planning so we have a lot of time. I am just so enthusiastic and full of anticipation to see everything come together. I want to get married now. I have never had much talent for patience. If my being engaged is new information to you if you're interested I'll link my Engagement Photos post here because I am incredibly proud of it.

September Plans

I have kind of a ambitious TBR for this month, mostly because I have been on a roll when it comes to knocking books off my TBR. So I plan on to continue doing that. I am hoping to read Our Dark Duet, re-read Vicious, and Vengeful (once it's published) by Victoria/V.E. Schwab. I also plan on binge reading the rest of the Throne of Glass Series, a few library books, and it would be really cool to read Now I Rise & Bright We Burn because And I Darken is still a book I keep thinking about. Honestly, that is about twelve books, which is a lot, so I am going to do as much as I can. I read sixteen books in August, a lot of them being actual novels. So I feel like I can do that again if I put my mind to it.

Thanks for reading! 




2 comments: