Saturday, September 1, 2018

[Book Review] City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab




Cassidy Blake's parents are The Inspectres, a (somewhat inept) ghost-hunting team. But Cass herself can REALLY see ghosts. In fact, her best friend, Jacob, just happens to be one.

When The Inspectres head to ultra-haunted Edinburgh, Scotland, for their new TV show, Cass—and Jacob—come along. In Scotland, Cass is surrounded by ghosts, not all of them friendly. Then she meets Lara, a girl who can also see the dead. But Lara tells Cassidy that as an In-betweener, their job is to send ghosts permanently beyond the Veil. Cass isn't sure about her new mission, but she does know the sinister Red Raven haunting the city doesn't belong in her world. Cassidy's powers will draw her into an epic fight that stretches through the worlds of the living and the dead, in order to save herself.


5 STARS 

By now  I am coming to the conclusion that Victoria Schwab can only write amazing stories. I feel like each time I read something by her I fall in love. I think that is why I am always nervous about picking up a new book by her. I am always so impressed and blown away, and it's like, how does she keep doing it? I am forever on the Victoria Schwab bandwagon and plan on buying everything she writes. 

I have read some reviews saying that they "know Schwab can do better than this" or they expected more. Or even that it was too juvenile. Honestly I think that is a bit insulting, because Schwab did an amazing job. I assume a lot of those reviewers maybe don't read a lot of middle grade but love Victoria Schwab so they picked it up. But this is such a great middle grade story. Definitely one of the best ones I've read. I also saw some criticisms about the Harry Potter references but I also found it to be super endearing. I liked Cassidy's love for Harry Potter and I think kids that are in the middle grade age probably do also, especially since Harry Potter fans are having kids and passing the story down. I think people are being weirdly knit-picky about this book, which is fine, everyone's opinion is their own, it just feels odd to me.

So, onto City of Ghosts. 

The characters were great. Cassidy was a fantastic main character and I really enjoyed her personality. I found her friendship with her ghost friend, Jacob, to be super sweet and I think they made a really good team. I also really loved her relationship with her parents, the Inspecters who write books about ghosts, history, and legends. I definitely got some Danny Phantom vibes and I was loving it. I didn't realize how protective I had become over Jacob until there was a moment where I was worried he was in danger because  Lara has a certain way she handles the dead, and I was worried she'd do something to him. He's so sweet and I love that despite being a ghost he's scared of anything spooky. I feel like I'd be that kind of ghost, so I relate. Lara is a character I grew to like as I keep reading, but definitely felt a bit annoyed towards at first. I am interested to see if we get more of her in the next book because I definitely found her interesting. 


This story is one of the most perfect spooky middle grade books I've ever read. I am a huge fan of Coraline by Neil Gaiman, and this definitely gave me Coraline vibes. Not at all in content but in the spooky atmosphere that doesn't hold punches. They're spooky, but tipping more the lighter side. There are spooky moments but it's also a bit of a mystery story also. One thing I love about both these books, but specifically City of Ghosts because that is what this review is about, is that Schwab never talks down or belittles her younger audience. It's obviously middle grade in the fact that the main character is too young to be young adult but that seems to be about it. It's spooky and dark, and there are some really chilling moments. But it stays respectful to it's audience not to cross any lines. It's not cheesy or over the top and I loved every minute of it. I think it would make a fantastic adaptation and I cannot wait for book two.

The writing, as always with Victoria Schwab, was super atmospheric and beautiful. I love when her writing gets dark and spooky because I think she writes it so well. I honestly felt myself spooked while reading and I even had little spurts of my adrenaline rushing. This story is just saturated with magic and color. Even when we are through the Veil where things are more faded and grey the image and colors in my mind were vibrant. I can easily see this book becoming a yearly read for me every Autumn. I love these kinds of stories the most, the ones about ghosts, myths, magic. It's my favorite kind of Halloween read, similar to Coraline. 

Honestly, the only thing that is negative that I can say about the story is that I hope we get more Grimm in the future. He is on the cover but we don't get as much of him as I thought we would. I am a sucker for a main character with an animal sidekick. Other than that, I loved all of this. 

I know I've said this in another review of a Schwab book, probably one of the Shades of Magic books, but I think she is going to one day be a classic author. Years and years in the future I wouldn't be surprised if her books were being used in college classics about myths or fantasy books or supernatural stories. Her characters are all so well rounded and her stories are always so fleshed out and atmospheric. It's obviously in City of Bones that she loves the Edinburgh with how she writes about it. The visuals of the city, the people, and the food (I need authentic fish and chips stat) is evidence alone that she loves Edinburgh so much. It made me want to go back and visit it again, and that's coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of traveling. 

Overall, I cannot recommend this book enough. It's perfect for Autumn, which is getting closer and closer each day. I think if you're into middle grade, spooky middle grade, spooky books, ghosts, sassy cats, and an amazing story I say pick it up. 


Thanks for reading!





8 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on this, City of Ghosts is amazing and Schwab is an incredible author! She is one of my auto buy authors and I just love everything I have read that she has written

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is SO good!! I am always blown away by her. I am happy you loved City of Ghosts too!!

      Delete
  2. I really need to start reading Schwab's books! I love the sound of the good friendships and parent-child relationships in this one. Atmospheric writing is also one of my faves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! There is a cute parent/child relationship in this and if you're in the mood for something spooky and want to start off your Halloween season right this is the ONE to read!! <3

      Delete
  3. Wahoo!! I can't wait to get to this one!

    ReplyDelete