Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Nope Book Tag




The Nope Book Tag was created by Farrah @ The BookTube Book. I recommend checking out her BookTube channel! It's a negative book tag but in a fun way and it is not supposed to be seen as an attack towards any readers who may like the books I talk about in this book. If I end up ragging on your book understand that it isn't a direct attack and you are of course welcome to disagree with me. I prefer loving a book versus hating it, and so although I disliked some of these books, that is a bummer to me because I pick up books to love them. So I am happy to hear you liked it. This is just supposed to be some harmless venting fun.

So, let's be civil and jump into the questions and my answers.

Heads up: Question 15 talks about character deaths, and so there will be spoilers for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling and Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh. Please skip that question if you do not want to be spoiled!

1. A NOPE Ending: This is a book that made you go "Nope" either denial, rage, or simply because the ending was crappy.
Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia.  I loved the book all the way till the ending, and then one of the characters did something so problematic and out of character, and I absolutely hated it. I gave the book 4 stars and I ignored how mad I was at the ending so it was easy to love the book. However, as I keep thinking about how much I hated the ending it makes me feel a lot of negativity towards the book as a whole.

2. A NOPE Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy. 
Androma Racella from Zenith by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings. I think she's one of the worst character's I've ever read. I disliked basically everything about her. She lacks personality and individuality. She's basically a water downed Celaena Sardothian.

3. A NOPE Series: A series that turned out to be a huge pile of nope after you've invested all that time and energy on it. Or a series you gave up on because it wasn't worth it anymore. 
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. I really enjoyed the first book, Red Queen, but the second book was a hot mess. Glass Sword was one of the hardest books to get through and I genuinely struggled. If I had allowed myself to DNF books back then when I read it, I probably would have. I hear the series gets better, so I may one day give it a shot. But for now I am putting that series on hold because I'd have to re-read both books to remember everything.

4. A NOPE Popular Canon: A ship that you don't support. 
I am having an issue fully thinking of a response for this one. I used to say Aelin and Rowan from the Throne of Glass series because I love Chaol (one of the only good characters in the series. Fight me.) but now I think both of them are trash people who deserve each other. My only other response would probaby be Zélie and Inan from Children and Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi.. I am not sure how I feel about this romance, I still either need to re-read the book or form my opinions once the second one is released but I am still iffy on their romance.

5. A NOPE Plot Twist: A plot twist that you didn't see coming or didn't like.
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas. So I read this book right after reading A Court of Mist and Fury by the same author. And the plot twists/endings are basically exactly the same. They came out like a handful of months apart from each other but I read them back to back and I was kind of pissed. I haven't read a Throne of Glass book since. I may re-start the series because the last book is coming out in October and I own all of the ones that are already out. I am interested in how the series will end, I just don't have high expectations.

6. A NOPE Protagonist's Action/Decision:  A character's decision that made you shake your head nope. 
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Cath's decisions in her writing class were incredibly childish and immature. She drove me nuts when it came to her class. College is expensive as heck and she is there to learn to be a better writer, but she didn't want to step out of her fanfiction bubble and it bugged me.

7. A NOPE Genre: A genre you will never read or rarely read.
There are a few genres I can't see myself getting into. Erotica (I am okay with a little smut in romance, but full on erotica is not my thing), Westerns, War themed books, etc. I realized I don't love a lot of mystery/thrillers and a lot of the time I find them to be repetitive and boring/formulaic. But I am not against giving more of them a try.

8. A NOPE Book Format: A book format that you hate and refuse to buy until it comes out in a different edition.
I love all book formats. Physical, E-Book, Audiobook, Hardcover, Paperback. However, one thing I don't love is deckled edges. They're the worst. But if a book I really want has them and it doesn't seem to have another edition I'll buy it and suck it up.

9. A NOPE Trope: A trope that makes you go "Nope".
Girl on girl hate is my biggest NOPE trope. I absolutely hate seeing girls hate each other for no reason. Especially when it's something super cliched like nerd against cheerleader or something. 0r fighting over a guy. Super nope.

10. A NOPE Recommendation: A recommendation that is constantly hyped/pushed at you that you refuse to read.
I hear absolutely amazing things about The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang. However, with all of the intense and heavy trigger warnings that seem to come with the book I am worried it's too much for me. Another recommendation I cannot see myself reading is anything else by Colleen Hoover, ever. I have been pretty vocal on my distaste for Hoover's poor writing skills and problematic plots, and I have gotten quiet a few "this one is way better" and I respect that everyone has different opinions but I have spoiled myself on a lot of her stories and most of them are definitely not my thing.

11. A NOPE Cliche or Pet Peeve: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.
I hate when parents are not ever in the stories when it comes to young adult especially. I find it so weird that these teenagers or even younger are going on all these adventures and being put in these dangerous situations and their parents aren't involved in the decision making for anything. Plus having family themed stories makes everything better.

12. A NOPE Love Interest: A love interest that is not worthy of being one. A character you do not think should be a viable love interest.
If I was answering this a handful of years ago I'd say Dorian from Thrones of Glass because he is the most boring character in that series and he had no chemistry with Celaena. Answering the question now is hard because the books I've been reading lately don't typically have love triangles. But one of the most known love triangles in young adult literature is in the Hunger Games, and for that I'd have to say Gale. Who had zero chemistry with Katniss and was such a bore of a character. 

13. A  NOPE Book: A book that shouldn't have existed that made you say NOPE. 
The Cursed Child. The whole thing was a mess. The dialogue was cringey and uncomfortable, it was inconsistent with the original series, and the ending (honestly, the entire plot) was straight out of a shitty fanfiction. If I knew it was going to be so bad, I wouldn't have bought the book and I certainly wouldn't have been so excited.

14. A NOPE Villain: A scary villain or antagonist that you wouldn't want to cross and make you go running in the opposite direction.
I think the Commander from An Ember in the Ashes is absolutely terrifying. I definitely wouldn't want to piss her off. I need to read the second book because I am more excited than I should be to experience the demise of a character. Which I am hoping happens soon but probably won't happen till the end of the story. We shall see.

15. A NOPE Death: A character death that still haunts you. 
Once again, like  I said at the top of this blog, SPOILERS HERE. Please keep that in mind while reading my answer to this question. Just skip to the next book if you are worried about the spoilers.

Okay, jumping into my answer now. From the Harry Potter series, I am affected by so many of the deaths in this series, but the biggest ones for me is Sirius, because I know how awful that was for poor Harry, and Fred because I know how awful it was for George. For Reign of the Fire, it's Evander. That absolutely broke my heart and I will never get over it.

16. A NOPE Author: An author you've had a bad experience with and decided to quit.
Okay, besides Colleen Hoover, the other author I can't see myself continuing is Daniel Handler/Lemony Snicket. With the weird allegations and evidence against him showing how problematic of a person he can be towards people I feel uncomfortable supporting him.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment