Tuesday, August 21, 2018

[Top Ten Tuesday] How To Get Back Into Reading After A Slump



Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about ways I pull myself out of a reading slump. I don't feel super comfortable only recommending specific books because different readers have different tastes. Plus, I think being in a reading slump is different for each reader. Instead while recommending a few books I am also recommending methods that work for me, so I hope they can work for you!

Let's jump right into it!

How To Defeat A Reading Slump 


Re-Read An Absolute Favorite Book or Series

For me, that's Harry Potter. I always go back to Hogwarts when I am losing my interest in reading. It wraps me up in warmth and I am incredibly content and happy. It reminds me of my Nan, which makes me feel nostalgic but it also reminds me of why I love to read and why I love books. I am always re-reading Harry Potter because his story is my light during the darker times.

If you have a book or series like this, whether it's Harry Potter or not, I recommend picking up that book. It'll help ease the pressure to read because all you're doing is going home.

Read A Middle Grade Book or Series 

Whether it's a book you've read before or not, middle grade is a great way to get back into reading. If it's your kind of thing. If not a novella or book of poetry could work too. The general idea is to pick up something short and easy to fly through. It'll make you feel accomplished but also you're reading something fun. I go to middle grade specifically because they can be more whimsical than  YA or Adult  Fiction. Plus because it's middle grade, and I'm in my late twenties, it's a quick read.

Recommendations:  
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
The Cavendish Home For Boys & Girls by Claire Legrand
The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce
George by Alex Gino
Rapunzel & The Lost  Lagoon by Leila Howland 

Read A Genre You Don't Pick Up Often 

This one is something  I need to do more of when I am in a slump. Sometimes slumps can happen if you've read too much of the same genre in a row and it's all meshing together. It's no secret that each genre has it's own set of tropes and constant themes and sometimes it can get repetitive if you've read a lot of of the same stuff. Branch out, read a different genre. It could spark your interest. 

Read A Recent Obsession

Re-reading a book you've read in the last year and loved and have been itching to re-read is a great way to get out of a slump. You could also maybe continue a series where you loved the first book but never continued on because you got distracted by all the other books on your TBR. I know branching away from the TBR can be daunting but sometimes that is what you need to get back in to reading.

A few books that tick off this box for me: 
Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh
Children of  Blood & Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
Heartless by Marissa Meyer
Undead Girl Gang by Lily Collins
Every Heart A Doorway (& the rest of this series) by Seanan McGuire 

Read A Friend's Favorite 

Ask a friend what their favorite book is of the moment, or maybe their favorite recent read. Maybe read the book they've been pushing you to read for forever and you just haven't gotten around to it yet. Now is the time. If you don't have many friends who read you could go to a family member or even go on BookTube and Book Blogs and see what people have been raving about.

Browse BookTube & Book Blogs 

Just reading about how much someone loved a book or maybe even just a book discussion or list like this one can spark some excitement about reading  again. I watch BookTube videos pretty frequently and even hearing someone talk about a book they loved, even if it's one I have no interest in reading, can make me want to read. Happiness and excitement like that is contagious. At least it is for me. Also book bloggers do a great job at hyping up books as well. Just being a part of the bookish community can help you want to read.

Pick Up The Book You've Been Casting Aside 

There has got to be a book that comes to mind when you think of books that have been nagging  you in the back of your mind and you've been ignoring. Pick it up, maybe it's time. I know I have a few that I am really excited to read but I haven't picked it up for whatever reason. But there is a reason why you're thinking about it after all this time.

I have had Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke on my list for far too long. It's size has me so intimidated despite hearing nothing but amazing things about it.

 Listen To An Audiobook 

Audiobooks are my go to when  I am feeling like I am in a slump. What I do is that I listen to a book on audio while reading along, if the book is available to me. It keeps me focused (my mind likes to wander) and I really take in the entire story. I tend to speed read, so audiobooks are a good way to slow me down and let me absorb everything. Audiobooks are great because they're convenient (you can listen while driving, working out, cleaning, relaxing, etc) and the narrators are often fun. I love ones with full casts!

I actually have a post with a lot of audiobooks I recommend, which I will link here.

Comic Books, Manga, & Graphic Novels 

I love both comics and graphic novels. I love being able to appreciate the art and enjoy the quick story. They go by pretty quick while reading, so you feel accomplished, but also often both comics and graphic novels are really witty and humorous. If you're in the mood to enjoy some beautiful artwork and have a high probability of laughing a lot comics and graphic novels are the way to go.

Recommendations: 
Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
LumberJanes by Noelle Stevenson
Zita the Space Girl by Ben Hatke
Faith comics by Jodi Houser (Valiant Comics)
Orange Volume 1 & Volume 2 by Ichigo Takano

Don't Give Up, But You Can Take Breaks

Unfortunately, some slumps are stronger than others. This could mean that you may need to try out a few books to find the one that pulls you out of the slump. Other times books aren't going to be the ones to do it for you. Maybe it's time to stop pushing yourself to read and it's time to binge watch a television show, watch a movie, or even start a video game. It's okay to take reading breaks. I don't think this is encouraged enough when it comes to the book community and I think that is why so many people burn out. Your books and reading itself isn't going anywhere. You're allowed to take a break and refresh.

Thanks for reading!


 

18 comments:

  1. Great way to put together today's topic! I love that you made a list of ideas vs. books. Booktube is pretty addictive! I've been watching Peruse Project's videos lately and really enjoy her blend of content. Of course book blogs are always my favorite since that's where I began. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Peruse Project is a BookTuber I follow too!! And yeah :) I tend to enjoy book bloggers more too but both are super fun :D

      Delete
  2. HP Book1. My copy is a battered mess because of all the times that I have re-visited it. Never gets old.

    I've read Coraline by Neil Gaiman. It's the only Gaiman book that I have read so far. Another middle-grade that is super easy to read is Wonder by R.J. Palacio.

    This is such a genius take to this week's TTT prompt. I admit that I do not explore my reading tastes as often enough so I am taking away some of your recs here.

    I also love how you pointed out that we are allowed to take reading breaks because sometimes we get so hard on ourselves or we feel guilty when we are in a reading slump. :)

    Jennilyn @ Rurouni Jenni Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Potter is my go to when I am in a slump. So I totally get that.

      Coraline is one of my absolute favorite books ever and I am so protective over it! Wonder is also a great one.

      Thank you!! I am the same, sometimes it's hard to branch out when you're comfortable. I am hoping to practice it more in the future.

      Yes!! It is so important to take breaks and I think it's seen as failure or betrayal to books and reading but I think it's important. :D

      <3

      Delete
  3. Harry Potter is definitely a go to for me, to get out of a slump! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the perfect go to book for slumps!! :D I'll check out yours now. <3

      Delete
  4. Some really good tips!
    My TTT: https://thebookdutchesses.com/2018/08/21/ttt-41-books-to-pull-you-out-of-a-reading-slump/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips for getting out of reading slumps!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/08/21/top-ten-tuesday-173/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! I also adore middle grade and children's chapter books! Rick Riordan always helps me break out of a slump! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I need to just binge watch all of his books sometime!! I read some years and years ago but I need to just start all over :D Maybe that is what I will do when I am in my next slump, thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  7. Great tips! Rereading a favorite or picking up a bunch of short books usually helps me.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Re-reading favorites is something I love to do anyway but especially during reading slumps! <3

      Delete
  8. I have a friend who is always telling me Seanan McGuire for slump times. I better get to it one of these days :)
    Dani @ The Restricted Section

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO GOOD and so easy to fly right through them because of their short page lengths and addictive plots!!

      Delete
  9. Fantastic list! These are all things that have worked for me at some point in another with breaking reading slumps, so I love this list haha. <3

    ReplyDelete