Wednesday, August 8, 2018

[Graphic Novel Review] Nimona by Noelle Stevenson




The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.


5 STARS

I feel like I am going to forever love everything Noelle Stevenson puts out. I have read this before but it had been so long that I really needed a refresher. And I am so excited I picked it up! 

Nimona is one of my favorite characters, especially in graphic novels. She's confident, hilarious, outspoken, and powerful. She doesn't let many people get close to her but once she starts letting  Blackheart get to know her she grows so much as a character! It made me want novels and novels of Nimona's back story and even what she does after this story. Blackheart was a great mentor and friend to Nimona. He is the more responsible one and typically has to keep Nimona focused on whatever schemes they're planning because of how distracted and excited she can get. I really liked his relationship with Goldenloin and I wish we could get more of their backstory. I think we get enough information from everyone's backstories for this story in particular but I am so interested and want more. It is also heavily implied that Blackheart and Goldeloin are romantically interested in each other but it isn't outright said. However, I really like what we got of their relationship and I wish the epilogue would have given us a little more of them. Goldenloin isn't as developed as the other two because for a good part of the story he is their "nemesis" but I did enjoy his character. Both Blackheart and Goldenloin gave me Harry/Draco (Harry Potter) vibes or Simon/Baz (Carry On) vibes. 

The plot is super engaging and addicting.  The witty humor and beautiful art pull you in but then you're hooked because you need to know what will happen next. I really loved Nimona's shapeshifting powers and the way Stevenson drew Nimona's transitions from human to creature. I liked that Nimona had so much unknown power and that she was a threat to the Institution. I am a sucker for a badass powerful girl character who is an obvious threat to her enemies. When it came to the plot/writing, I did find that the explanations and the ending were a bit rushed and hard to fully understand that had happened. I am not sure if that was just me or if it was something other readers experienced also. I think Nimona's backstory could have been cleared up a bit more by the end. 

I love the witty dialogue between the characters. Nimona is easy to love despite her destructive nature and despite Blackheart's efforts he isn't immune to her charms. They become an amazing team and I loved their dynamic, especially their bickering. I think the writing and story are really well done other than the ending and I liked how much personality is presented not only in the art but the dialogue and writing. I also love that Nimona is a fat character. She has curves and is fat but that does not affect her job or stop her from doing what she wants to do. It also is not brought up once, which is amazing. What I really like is that she is able to change her appearance at will and the body she decides to live in as "Nimona" is a fat one. It made my heart really happy. 

Overall, I highly recommend this graphic novel. It's one of the best and I cannot read more by Stevenson and of course watch her new She-Ra remake once it's released! I think this is a great book to pick up if you are not super experienced in graphic novels but also it's a great one to read if you are. Like I said earlier, it's hard not to love Nimona because she's so charming. So if you're interested you'll probably love it! 


Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this one so much! I need to buy a copy one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! And yessss!! They aren't too pricy on Amazon!! I think that is where I got mine. :D <3

      Delete