Monday, October 1, 2018

September Wrap-Up





This is my monthly post where I talk about how the month went for me when it came to reading and some events that maybe sparked me to read more (or stopped me from reading as much as I wanted to). I also link all the reviews I did in the month, update any reading challenges I've signed up for, discuss my plans for the following month, non-book things I've enjoyed, and give updates of my life. This year I have decided that I am not making a big deal on how many books I read or letting myself feel any guilt for the amount I didn't read. I am just going to read what sounds good in the moment without any guilt or pressure. I hope everyone has had a fantastic reading month and that next month goes even better!  Let's jump into how September went for me!

* = favorites of the month

Book Reviews

Moonstruck Vol. 1: Magic to Brew by Grace Ellis 
Vicious by V.E. Schwab  *
Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young *
Goosebumps: Say Cheese & Die by R.L. Stine
Goosebumps: Be Careful What You Wish For by R.L. Stine
The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas *


Other Posts

Bingeworthy TV Shows
Hidden Gems: Underrated Books That Need More Love
SpookTober TBR
Autumn TBR
My Favorite BookTubers (Pt. 1)
Books By Favorite Authors That I Still Need To Read

Movies/TV Shows (Finished)

Princess Diaries 2 - Of course after watching the first one last month we had to watch the next one. We were inspired to watch them because there was some rumors that they were making another one, which I am so here for. I still prefer the first one, but the second one is fun. Plus my favorite Chris (Chris Pine) is in it! 4 Stars

27 Dresses - Wow, this movie is a hot mess. Honestly, most Katherine Heigl movies are messes. However, James Marsden is adorable and it is one of the better Heigl movies I've seen. 2 Stars

Bride Wars *- I enjoyed this movie, and although I am not a fan of the weird competitiveness and girl on girl hate that happens, I think it's entertaining. I remember watching this movie with my mom a lot when it came out so it's got weird nostalgic factors for me. 4 Stars

Set It Up *- This was such a cute movie. I have a huge crush on Zoey Deutch and I will mostly watch her in anything. Her comedic timing is great and I think she's a fantastic actress. I was really excited to see Glen Powell (Chad from Scream Queens) as the romantic interest! I think this is definitely one of the best romantic comedies made. 4.5 Stars

The Ugly Truth - Man this movie is just terrible. I remember liking it in high school but it does not age well at all. All the sexist, misogynistic, and awful morals it encourages are pretty terrible. Gerard Butler is super attractive and charming, and even with all his charm I wanted to punch him. I really disliked this movie. 1.5 Stars

P.S. I Love You * - Here we go, a Gerard Butler movie where I don't want to punch him. I really love this movie, and I think it's super bittersweet. I was worried for this one not to age well either but despite maybe one or two things (mostly with Harry Connick Jr.'s character, who I hated) I think it held up pretty well. It's definitely one of my favorite romance movies. 4 Stars

Another Cinderella Story - Selena Gomez is SO young in this. Once again, here is another movie where I crushed on the main female actress. Selena is adorable in this movie. I really liked this movie and I think it's fun. Jane Lynch is so hilarious. However, the love interest was a bit..dull? 3.5 Stars
 
How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days - This is a super funny movie. I think it is another romantic comedy that ages well and holds up now as a whole. Granted, like a lot of early to mid 2000's romantic comedies (or really, movies in general) can have pretty cringe-y moments, this one was at least really funny. 3.5 Stars

Meet the Parents - This was cute, but boy was it cringe-y. There are good moments but as a whole it isn't a movie I could watch more than once every handful of years. I am interested in maybe continuing the series though, since my fiancé hasn't watched the rest. 2.5 Stars

The Good Place (Season 2) -  I loved this season of The Good Place, but I don't think I loved it as much as I loved the first season. However, it was still amazing and I cannot wait for the third season.
Bachelor in Paradise - This season was  hot mess, but I am so happy for Joe and Kendall. In the end they were the only couple I was rooting for and I think they're adorable. 4 Stars


Note: If you're wondering why we watched so many romantic movies it's because I knew we'd be watching a lot of scary/spooky movies in  October so September was a lighter month when it came to movies.

Currently Watching

Adventure Time - We decided to start Adventure Time from the beginning as our morning tv show before Matt has to go to work. Since we only have an hour or so for him to watch something while getting ready to help him wake up. I am excited to get to the newer episodes because I hear the ending is amazing.

Dancing With the Stars - This new season of DWTS has been good so far. It just started so we will see. So far I am rooting for Joe Amabile (from the Bachelor franchise), Evanna  Lynch, & Tinashe.

Supergirl (Season 3) - We are finally watching season 3 of Supergirl! I love this show so much, and honestly I think it's the show with the most beautiful cast of actresses ever. Especially now that Erica Durance, my biggest crush on a woman, is playing Kara's mom. I am still hoping they have Lena and Kara in a relationship already.

Trailers That Have Me Pumped!

Captain Marvel - This looks like it's going to be so much fun. I love Brie Larson, I think she's a fantastic actress and I totally have had a crush on her since I saw her in 21 Jump Street.

Mary Poppins Returns - I am SO excited for this movie. I will have to be honest and say it's been at least 20 years since I've seen the original Mary Poppins, so I definitely need to re-watch it soon, but I am in love with Emily Blunt & Lin-Manuel Miranda so I know I am going to love this.

The  Chilling Adventures of Sabrina  - I am so excited for this show to release in late October. If you've read any of my previous wrap-ups from the past month you may remember I was trying to watch the 90's tv show Sabrina the Teenage Witch and kind of hating it. I finally gave up, I couldn't take it anymore. However, this one looks way better so I have my fingers crossed.


Music

Human *(Music Video) by dodie - This music video is so beautiful and heartbreaking. I fell in love with the song originally when dodie posted it around two years ago I think? I am so happy we are getting a new dodie EP because she's one of my favorite musical artists.

Thunderclouds *(Music Video) by LSD - I have watched this music video over a dozen times this month. I am in love with both the song and the music video. I really love everything Maddie Ziegler is in and I think the song's vibe is super catchy.

Villains (Album) by Emma Blackery - Technically this came out one of the the last days of August but now that I have been listening to it for about a month  I can safely say I really love this album. Like normal for me, I love some songs more than others. The ones that are my absolute favorite are: Icarus, Third Eye, What I Felt With You, and Burn the Witch. Honestly, the whole album is great and I recommend it.

Sweetener (Album) by Ariana Grande - I am still feeling this album out, I have only listened to it all the way through a couple times. I do have a couple favorites so far though: Blazed, God is A Woman, Borderline, Goodnight 'n Go, & Breathin'. I like the album as a whole and I think the only song I don't like is Sweetener. But who knows, maybe it'll grow on me.

I recently also downloaded the new Aurora album Infections of a Different Kind, however I haven't listened to it all the way through yet so I will have to talk about that more in my October wrap-up.



Wedding & Life Updates

In the beginning of the month my fiancé and I went to see Erica Robyn Reads get married! Which was absolutely gorgeous and I cried way too much. Erica looked stunning, so did her husband (!!!) Alex, and it was a lovely night overall. I am not going to share too much, because I am sure Erica will be posting her own blog post all about it, so I recommend keeping an eye out for that because you'll want to see how amazing everything and everyone looked.



Wedding planning for us has gotten incredibly more serious now than it was before. We have bought a bunch of stuff already (save the dates, invites, parts of the favors, tiara, cake topper, card box, toasting flutes, etc) and have made pretty big decisions. September 26-29th my Mom came up and on the 27th we went wedding dress shopping and I found my dress. I am absolutely in love with it and I cannot wait to be able to wear it once all the alterations and changes are made. I know everyone says "You'll know you found the dress when you see it." And as a fat woman, I honestly thought that wasn't going to be a reality for me. I thought I was going to have to wear something uncomfortable and unflattering because my body does not fit what society and dress makers see as a beautiful bride. We are told we have to lose this much weight before our big day or you may as well wear a garbage bag and I am just not here for that kind of body shaming bullshit. Screw that mindset. I am going to look SO FREAKING CUTE in my dress because it's amazing and I am amazing, the way I am. When I saw it, I just knew. I tried on other dresses and it was like playing dress up. When I saw my dress on my body it was like it was made for me. I cannot wait to wear it on our day, it's been excruciating not being able to show Matt. That day my mom and I also went to my hair stylist and I picked out a hairstyle, which is great because once we picked a hairstyle I was able to finally get a haircut after five years of only trimming it every other year. So I chopped off about ten inches of my hair and it looks (and feels!) amazing. I'll link my Instagram here if you're interested in seeing my new hair or any of the photos I posted of Matt & I at Erica's wedding! I tend to follow a good majority of people who follow me! Shoot me a message if you are from my blog and I will totally follow back!


October Plans 

Mostly read, and do more wedding stuff. October is my birthday month and although we have some chill ideas, nothing is set in stone. I am just hoping to able to get more reading done. From my reviews above, it's obvious I didn't read too much in September. Although I did find some new favorites. I have so many spooky books on my TBR (linked above to both my TBRs for this month) and I am hoping to catch up on the Throne of Glass series because the final book comes out a couple days after my birthday. Overall, I am so happy that my favorite season is here.

I am currently reading Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco and loving it. I had to put it down while my mom visited but now that she has gone back home I have picked it up again. I also got the beautiful Vengeful by V.E. Schwab in the mail so I will be reading that soon too. I am so excited for all the books I plan on reading this month.


Thanks for reading!




4 comments:

  1. You should check out the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina comics!! SOOOOO GOOD!!!

    And aww! Thanks for the shout-out! I can't wait to share photos! Hopefully this week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting for my library to send it to me!! I requested it :D I cannot wait.

      <3

      Delete
  2. I am SO excited for Mary Poppins Returns and Captain Marvel! They're going to be amazing!! Can't wait!!

    I enjoyed P.S. I Love You, though I watched it a long time ago so I don't remember much. But the book is wonderful. Cecelia Ahern is one of my fave authors :)

    Oh my word The Ugly Truth. I couldn't finish that. It was so sick. I wanted to punch everyone ;)

    All the best for wedding planning! And I absolutely love your haircut. It suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESS THEY LOOK SO GOOD!


    I need to read the P.S. I Love You book! Maybe when I am feeling sappy in February.

    Yeah I hated The Ugly Truth. I remember liking it in high school so honestly my character development is a proud achievement of mine hahaha.

    Thank you so muchhh!! <3

    ReplyDelete