Monday, September 3, 2018

[Comic Book Review] Moonstruck Volume One: Magic to Brew by Grace Ellis




Werewolf barista Julie and her new girlfriend go on a date to a close-up magic show, but all heck breaks loose when the magician casts a horrible spell on their friend Chet. Now it's up to the team of mythical pals to stop the illicit illusionist before it's too late.

4.5 STARS 

I absolutely loved this!! I borrowed it from my library on a bit of a whim and I am so happy I did. I knew nothing about it other than it involves magic and that was mostly it. I loved the different mythical creatures!! The werewolves are definitely my favorite, I love the way they were drawn. I know it's not as spooky/scary but I love when werewolves are drawn or depicted as impossibly big wolves, and that is how they are drawn in this. 

The characters are super cute and definitely what kept me reading. I love the main romance between Julie and Serena. I definitely didn't expect a w/w romance! It was so soft, new, and sweet. The way Serena is protecting Julia and how they take care of each other warmed my heart. I also love Chet, who is a trans centaur who is both the comic relief and also just an amazing friend to Julia. They work together and I love their dynamic. If I didn't expect a wlw romance I definitely didn't expect a trans character so the LGBTQ diversity in this, along with Julie being Latinx and Serena being black, this comic is filled with diversity without it feeling forced. Also, both Serena and Julie are fat women, and Chet is even very curvy because the bottom half of him is a horse. It looks natural. All of it seemed really natural and I think it was executed perfectly.

The plot is super interesting and got really intense. At least more intense than I anticipated. I even found myself gasping and tearing up in moments because of how invested I was in the story. The only negative aspect I had with this volume was that I was a bit confused here and there. It never hindered my understanding of the plot but I would have liked maybe a little more explanation of the world. However, besides that I absolutely loved this and I definitely plan on buying it for my collection. 

Overall, I highly recommend this comic book if you're in the mood for something super cute and fun. I am in love with the art style, characters, and I am incredibly interested in learning more about the world. Kate Leth, the artist, is easily becoming a favorite artist of mine. I tried getting her other comic book, Spell on Wheels but couldn't find it in my library's database so I may have to just buy it. I am in love with both her witch-y themes in both of these stories but also her art is so bubbly and my jam. 


Thanks for reading!


2 comments: