Tuesday, September 25, 2018

[Top Ten Tuesday] Books By Favorite Authors I Still Need To Read




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about some books that are written by some of my favorite authors but I haven't read them yet! Hopefully I can get to these one day soon. 

So let's jump right into it!


Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh

If you've read any of my posts it's not a surprise that I am a huge fan of Sarah's duology Reign of the Fallen and it's sequel (out January 2019) Song of the Dead. However, I haven't read her debut yet and I really want to! Hopefully I can get to it by the end of the year!

Synopsis
Witch’s apprentice Bridey Corkill has hated the ocean ever since she watched her granddad dive in and drown with a smile on his face. So when a dead girl rolls in with the tide in the summer of 1913, sixteen-year-old Bridey suspects that whatever compelled her granddad to leap into the sea has made its return to the Isle of Man.

Soon, villagers are vanishing in the night, but no one shares Bridey’s suspicions about the sea. No one but the island’s witch, who isn’t as frightening as she first appears, and the handsome dark-haired lad Bridey rescues from a grim and watery fate. The cause of the deep gashes in Fynn’s stomach and his lost memories are, like the recent disappearances, a mystery well-guarded by the sea. In exchange for saving his life, Fynn teaches Bridey to master her fear of the water — stealing her heart in the process.

Now, Bridey must work with the Isle’s eccentric witch and the boy she isn’t sure she can trust — because if she can’t uncover the truth about the ancient evil in the water, everyone she loves will walk into the sea, never to return.



Side Effects May Vary by Julie Murphy 

I love Julie Murphy so much. I've read her other books, Dumplin, Puddin, & Ramona Blue and I've loved all three. I even own Side Effects May Vary on my kindle! I just keep not reading it, for some weird reason. I am hoping to read it maybe sometime before the year is up!

Synopsis
When sixteen-year-old Alice is diagnosed with leukemia, she vows to spend her final months righting wrongs. So she convinces her best friend, Harvey, to help her with a crazy bucket list that's as much about revenge as it is about hope.

But just when Alice's scores are settled, she goes into remission, and now she must face the consequences of all she's said and done.



The Near Witch by Victoria Schwab

I have read so much of Schwab's books this year and I want to continue my mission to read all her books before the end of this year. This is one of her first books, it even has been stopped of being printed. But you can find it on kindle, so I am hoping to read it on my kindle soon! 

Synopsis
The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

And there are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger-a boy who seems to fade like smoke-appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion. Still, he insists on helping Lexi search for them. Something tells her she can trust him.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi's need to know-about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Part fairy tale, part love story, Victoria Schwab's debut novel is entirely original yet achingly familiar: a song you heard long ago, a whisper carried by the wind, and a dream you won't soon forget.


Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab 

This is the sequel to This Savage Song, a book I absolutely loved. I plan on reading this one in the next month so I am so excited! It's a duology, so this will be the last one. Which bums me out but I hear that it ends really well. 

Synopsis
THE WORLD IS BREAKING. AND SO ARE THEY.

KATE HARKER isn't afraid of monsters. She hunts them. And she's good at it.

AUGUST FLYNN once yearned to be human. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.

THE WAR HAS BEGUN.

THE MONSTERS ARE WINNING.

Kate will have to return to Verity. August will have to let her back in. And a new monster is waiting—one that feeds on chaos and brings out its victims' inner demons.

Which will be harder to conquer: the monsters they face, or the monsters within?



American Gods by Neil Gaiman 

I think after reading all of Schwab (and maybe also tackling Cassandra Clare's books) I want to try to read all of Gaiman's books. All the ones I have read so far I've absolutely loved, and I hear amazing things about this one!

Synopsis
Days before his release from prison, Shadow's wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America.

Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm of preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break.

Scary, gripping and deeply unsettling, American Gods takes a long, hard look into the soul of America. You'll be surprised by what - and who - it finds there...



Girl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake 

I loved this author's book How to Make A Wish and I hear really great things about this book, but I haven't read this one yet. I am hoping to get a copy of this book because I won a signed book plate but I don't have a book to stick the book plate to. This sounds like it's going to be an emotionally draining book, but I hear it's amazing.

Synopsis
"I need Owen to explain this. Because yes, I do know that Owen would never do that, but I also know Hannah would never lie about something like that."

Mara and Owen are about as close as twins can get. So when Mara's friend Hannah accuses Owen of rape, Mara doesn't know what to think. Can the brother she loves really be guilty of such a violent crime? Torn between the family she loves and her own sense of right and wrong, Mara is feeling lost, and it doesn't help that things have been strained with her ex-girlfriend and best friend since childhood, Charlie.

As Mara, Hannah, and Charlie navigate this new terrain, Mara must face a trauma from her own past and decide where Charlie fits in her future. With sensitivity and openness, this timely novel confronts the difficult questions surrounding consent, victim blaming, and sexual assault.



Tower of Dawn by Sarah J Maas 

I am re-reading this series so I can finally read this book and then read the new one that is coming out in late October. I am actually super excited for this one because it's all about Chaol, who is still my favorite character so far in this series. 

Synopsis
Chaol Westfall has always defined himself by his unwavering loyalty, his strength, and his position as the Captain of the Guard. But all of that has changed since the glass castle shattered, since his men were slaughtered, since the King of Adarlan spared him from a killing blow, but left his body broken.

His only shot at recovery lies with the legendary healers of the Torre Cesme in Antica—the stronghold of the southern continent's mighty empire. And with war looming over Dorian and Aelin back home, their survival might lie with Chaol and Nesryn convincing its rulers to ally with them.

But what they discover in Antica will change them both—and be more vital to saving Erilea than they could have imagined.


Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst 

This is the prequel (?) to a book I absolutely loved and was one of my favorite books of 2017, Of Fire and Stars. I am hoping to get this one my kindle maybe this winter so I can finally read it. Especially before the next book comes out, the sequel to Of Fire and Stars that is titled by Of Ice and Shadows and I cannot wait. I may also re-read Of Fire and Stars before the release for a refresher. 

Synopsis
Asra is a demigod with a dangerous gift: the ability to dictate the future by writing with her blood. To keep her power secret, she leads a quiet life as a healer on a remote mountain, content to help the people in her care and spend time with Ina, the mortal girl she loves.

But Asra’s peaceful life is upended when bandits threaten Ina’s village and the king does nothing to help. Desperate to protect her people, Ina begs Asra for assistance in finding her manifest—the animal she’ll be able to change into as her rite of passage to adulthood. Asra uses her blood magic to help Ina, but her spell goes horribly wrong and the bandits destroy the village, killing Ina’s family.

Unaware that Asra is at fault, Ina swears revenge on the king and takes a savage dragon as her manifest. To stop her, Asra must embark on a journey across the kingdom, becoming a player in lethal games of power among assassins, gods, and even the king himself.

Most frightening of all, she discovers the dark secrets of her own mysterious history—and the terrible, powerful legacy she carries in her blood.



The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfusss 

I really need to re-read The Name of the Wind and the sequel Wise Man's Fear. It's been so long and I need to be back in this story! This is a novella that takes place between the two main books that are currently out. I plan on reading it when I re-read the series. 

Synopsis
Deep below the University, there is a dark place. Few people know of it: a broken web of ancient passageways and abandoned rooms. A young woman lives there, tucked among the sprawling tunnels of the Underthing, snug in the heart of this forgotten place.

Her name is Auri, and she is full of mysteries.



The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

Earlier this year I read The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and I LOVED it so much. This book has got so much hype around it, and although I have heard both negative and positive things I really want to give it a shot. The snyopsis kind of sounds like Julie Kagawa's The Iron Fey series, which I loved like 6 years ago.

Synopsis
Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.



Thanks for reading!



14 comments:

  1. I need to read ALL the Schwab books. So far I've read Vicious and the Shades of Magic trilogy.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been slowly going through her books this year and I've been LOVING them! I highly recommend City of Ghosts and This Savage Song!

      Delete
  2. I love Neil Gaiman and American Gods was the first book of his I ever read. Hahaha - I'm still trying to get through The Name of the Wind (other books keep distracting me), so I feel you on the Patrick Rothfuss.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first Gaiman was Coraline! Which is one of my favorite books. I hope you end up liking Name of the Wind!! It's one of my favorites :D <3

      Delete
  3. I need to read Our Dark Duet, too. I’ve completely forgotten everything that happens in the first book. I’ll probably end up reading The Near Witch someday. I love Schwab books.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up re-reading This Savage Song recently because I wanted to be refreshed too! I agree though Schwab is amazing!

      Delete
  4. Victoria Schwab has written so many books! I haven't read any of them yet.

    I haven't read Tower of Dawn yet either (or Empire of Storms). I hope to read both this fall. I have The Cruel Prince on hold at my library. Some of these authors have so many books I have no clue about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend them all! I THINK Vicious is my favorite (for now, I haven't read Vengeful yet) but they are all amazing.

      I definitely recommend checking out these authors! :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't read The Near Witch or Our Dark Duet yet, I still have a lot of Schwab to catch up on! I read Tower of Dawn last month and really enjoyed it, I hope you do too :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/09/25/top-ten-tuesday-178/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Binge-reading Schwab books has been SO much fun. I recommend it. And yeahh!! I am hoping I love it! Chaol is the only male character I care about in the series so I bet I will.

      Delete
  6. I haven't read Rothfuss yet, but I need to pick up his novels. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I still need to read Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab too!!

    ReplyDelete