Wednesday, September 26, 2018

[Book Review] The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas




Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free? Explore the dark underworld of this kick-ass heroine to find out.

 4.5 STARS

The Assassin and the Pirate Lord
4.5 STARS 

I really enjoyed this story! I like that Sam and Celaena's relationship starts off with the hate to love trope. I think it's written well written and their relationship grows naturally. They were a good team and I like that they've started to respect each other as the story progressed. I know that Celaena (well, SJM's books and characters in general) gets a lot of pretty valid criticism but one of the things I really like about her character is how soft she is towards things that matter the most. I like that she will do the right thing despite whatever the consequences will be, even if it could end her life. I think that is really cool and admirable. 

The Assassin and the Healer 
4.5 STARS 

I liked this story a lot more this time around versus the last time I read this collection of stories. I think what I liked the most about it was the theme of women helping other women. Celaena teaches  Yrene not only learn how to defend herself but also helps her with Yrene's future with being a more educated and skilled healer. I really love compassionate Celaena. 

The Assassin and the Desert 
5 STARS

I truly love this story. This is one my favorite of the whole collection. Seeing Celaena's yearning for a friend that is also a girl, something she's never had before, and then becoming close with Ansel was so pure and heartwarming. The way Celaena started feeling at home or at least maybe safe versus how she felt with Arobynn broke my heart. I wonder if we will visit the Red Desert again. I know the story's tone basically completely changes after Heir of Fire, so I am not sure. But I think it would be cool. 

The Assassin and the Underworld 
4 STARS 

I was a little bit bored in the moments in the beginning but mid way when this story picked up Ii was hooked. Honestly, re-reading this and seeing where exactly Celaena pissed off Arobynn enough to make him an enemy is heartbreaking. In the moment you don't blame her but with what is coming in the next story you can't help but wish she had done things differently. I really like the romance between Sam and Celaena in both this story and the next one.

The Assassin and the Empire 
4 STARS

Obviously this one is the story everyone's dreading when they pick up this collection of short stories. If you're reading it after the first or second book in the series, you probably can guess what would happen, but it doesn't hurt any less. By the end you can't help but hate everything about Arobynn, if you don't already from how Celaena describes him in the first two books of the series or what he does to her and Sam after Skulls Bay. He's manipulative, possessive, aggressive, and cruel. I got so mad at Celaena for not thinking clearly. I understand she is grieving, and in shock, but I assume she was trained to be able to think clearly if something like this goes wrong. I know this will be a bit hypocritical, but I love that she wears her heart on her sleeve, but at the same time I wish she would slow down, rewind, and think. There were so many moments and hints that would have lead her to being more successful her mission at the end and instead she leads with her temper. It just made everything so much more heartbreaking. Overall, I really liked this story but I definitely saw myself skimming in moments.

Overall, I recommend this book of short stories especially if you plan on reading past Heir of Fire in the Throne of Glass series. I think this collection is super important to read if you want to continue with Queen of Shadows because characters from the short stories start making appearances and it's best if you have the backstory of them and their relationships with Celaena. Plus, I honestly think  is some of Celaena's best moments happen in this book!

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I normally do not read any series novella's but after reading your reviews for this book, I feel like I have to read this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think its one of the best books in the series!! And if you plan on reading past Heir of Fire I think its a required read!

      Also hearing my review convinced you to read it makes me happy. I hope you enjoy it! <3

      Delete