Monday, February 3, 2020

January 2020 Wrap-Up



Photo Credit
We have started a new decade and the first month is officially over! January was a pretty productive month for me, and it's been a good start to the new year. In my monthly wrap-ups, as always, I'll be posting about the books I've read, shows and movies I watched, games I played, and music I listened to. I'll also write about any life updates and talk about my plans for the following month! I'd love to know how your month went.

Let's jump into how my month went!

*= favorite of the month 

Book Reviews
Fence Vol. 2 by C.S. Pacat, Johanna the Mad, & Joana LaFuente
Children of Virtue and Vengeance by Tomi Adeyemi *
The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai *
Sadie by Courtney Summers *
Fence Vol. 3 by C.S. Pacat, Johanna the Mad, & Joana LaFuente *
My Hero Academia: School Briefs Vol. 1 by Anri Yoshi & Kohei Horikoshi
I Wish You All The Best by Mason Deaver
Josh & Hazel's Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren
Echo North by Joanna Ruth Meyer *
Autoboyography by Christina Lauren 

DNFed Books

Captive Prince by C.S. Pacat
I picked this one up because I absolutely love this author's comic book series Fence, and I assumed I'd love this too. I jumped into it without any knowledge of what it was about other than it being fairly popular. This series is not for me, and I mean this kindly, I don't understand who would be really into this series. The writing isn't well done and there is so much triggering content (rape, slavery, abuse, etc) that isn't handled properly. I got over half way through before I had to stop.

Overall Reading Stats

Total Books Read: 10
Total Pages Read: 2,916
Physical  Books Read: 6
  • Mine:3
  • Library/Borrowed: 3
E-Books Read:  4
  • Mine: 1
  • Library/Borrowed: 3
Money Saved by Using Library: $64.00

Other Posts

Most Disappointing Books of 2019
Favorite Books of 2019
Most Anticipated Books of the First Half of 2020
The Book Snob Tag
Bookish Discoveries Made in 2019
H & E's Bookish Chat #3: Sadie
Recent Additions to My Bookshelf
Gorgeous 2020 Book Covers

 

Movies Watched

[Disney +] The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - This is a favorite of mine and one I re-watched often when I was young as a comfort thing. I was surprised after so many years of not watching it how much of it I had memorized. It's still one I find myself re-watching because I watched it twice this month. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Disney +] The Little  Mermaid 2 - This was just something to watch for fun because I had watched The Little Mermaid not long ago. I forgot how great this sequel was, especially since some older Disney sequels are just not as good. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Disney +] Captain Marvel - We finally watched this after so long and I absolutely loved it. It's definitely up there in my favorite Marvel movies and I cannot wait to re-watch. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Disney +] Togo - This was a great movie! If you loved Balto as a kid I highly recommend this one. You get another side to the story we all know because of the animated movie, but instead centering around Balto we learn about Togo, a dog who did a lot of the work in getting the medicine to the kids but until now wasn't properly credited. Or at least the general public may not have known about him. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Disney +] Descendants - This was a re-watch for Matt and I so we could watch the sequels. These movies are just so much fun. They're cheesy, sure, but in the best ways. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Disney +] Descendants 2 - This was good, but maybe not as good as the first movie. I enjoyed it a lot, but I think out of the three it's just the weaker one. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Disney +] Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century - This was so much fun to re-watch after so long, but honestly I think this a movie that should have been left in the memory bank because surprisingly I didn't like it as much as I did when I was younger.  ⭐⭐
[Disney Now] Descendants 3 - This was such a great conclusion to the trilogy! These movies are so cute, and although it's sad to watch this one after the death of Cameron Boyce. However, I think it was well done and I am happy we were able to watch the trilogy. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Netflix DVD] Shazam - AH! I LOVED THIS MOVIE! I am so mad it took us so long to watch this because it was so much fun! I hope we get a sequel! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Netflix] Miss Americana: Taylor Swift - I watched this documentary the last day of January and I am really happy I did. I am a fan of Taylor and I think getting to see the behind the scenes of so much of the events that went on in the last handful of years really helped the general public understand. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Movie Trailers

[Movie Trailer] To All The Boys: P.S. I Love You - Although since the last movie's released I have found Noah Centineo to be a bit cringey, I am really excited for this sequel! It looks so good and I am all about this cute wholesome romance series.
[Movie Trailer] Birds of Prey - Harley Quinn is my lady, and I love Margot Robbie's portrayal of her! I am so excited for this movie and I cannot wait to see it!

TV Shows Watched

[Netflix] Maid-Sama - This was such a cute anime. It was a little odd, sure, but I found the characters to be super cute and fun. Overall, I am happy I watched it and I am considering looking for the manga to keep reading. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Netflix] You - Season 2 was...interesting. I found it entertaining and addictive like the first season but it wasn't as good. However, I am interested to see where the story will go. ⭐⭐⭐
[Netflix] Madoka Magica - I tried watching this a while back and ended up giving up for the time being but then I started it again with my husband, who loves this show, and I really enjoyed it this time around. I didn't full on love it but I found it to be really fun. ⭐⭐⭐.5
[Disney +] The Proud Family - I was really excited to see that Disney + had this show and although I had a good time for the most part, I really hated a couple things about this show. The biggest things being Oscar Proud, who is a really crappy dad and husband, and Penny's friends being the absolute worst. I think this show tackles a lot a fantastic themes and topics, but those two big things really brought down the show. ⭐⭐⭐
[Netflix] The Circle - This show was everywhere on the internet, so Matt and I finally got around to watching it and we were immediately hooked. We binged it as fast as we could and now we are dying for season 2. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

TV Shows Currently Watching

[Disney +] Tangled: The Series - I only just started this and I am taking a small pause to watch Tangled Before Ever After before continuing, but so far I am in love with this show. Tangled is my favorite Disney movie, maybe my favorite movie as a whole, so to say I am excited to finally be able to watch this show is an understatement. Also, the art style is gorgeous and the opening song makes me tear up every time I listen to it.
[Disney +] The Runaways - This show is really good! It doesn't have that binge-able aspect to it, so we are kind of trekking along, but it has been a really good time. We are pretty far into season 2.
[Hulu] Steven Universe - This is another show I only just recently started, but I plan on getting back into it soon. I've seen a good chunk of this show but I wanted to start from the beginning because it's been so long. Plus, I love it so much.
[Netflix] Naruto - Matt and I have been watching this as our morning show while getting ready for our days. Neither of us have seen it, so it's a new anime for us and it's been a good time. We are only about half way through the first season so we have a long way to go but I am excited to continue.
[Hulu] The Bachelor -  I hate this show so much haha, and the spin-off The Bachelorette. But I love the second spin off, Bachelor in Paradise so much that I force myself to watch the other two so when I watch Paradise things make sense. Otherwise, it isn't as much fun. But god, this show makes me mad.
[Funimation] My Hero Academia Season 4 - This show is my entire heart and I am in love with how it's been going. I need to continue the manga because we are slowly getting to the parts I have stopped at. This show means so much to me and the amount of character development happening in season four has me so happy.

Music

[Artist] Ashnikko - I love this artist so much. Her song, STUPID got really popular on TikTok a while back and ever since then I've been enjoying her music and I am in love. So far my favorite songs other than STUPID are: Special, Working Bitch, Manners, and Invitation.
[Song] That Bitch by Bea Miller - I love this song so much. I have not had the chance to look into Bea Miller's other music yet but I do plan on it.
[Song] Roxanne by  Arizona Zervas - Another TikTok song that got famous that I have been obsessed with.
[Song] Goodmorning Tokyo! by Tokyo's Revenge - Another TikTok song that got famous that I have been obsessed with.
[Album] Maniac by Halsey - This album is so much fun! I haven't listened to it as much as I wish I had before doing this wrap-up.Although I am enjoying it, I feel like Halsey's best album is still Badlands and it bums me out a bit that I can't get as into her newer music as I did with  Badlands.
[Song] Simmer by Hayley Williams - I am in love with this song. I've had it on repeat and it's so so so good.
[Song] Leave It Alone by Hayley Williams - I haven't listened to this one as much, but I really like it!
[Song] Only the Young by Taylor Swift - This one just dropped a day or two ago when the documentary and I think it's really good! I am loving that Taylor has decided to become more political.

Apps/Games

[iOS App] Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp - I started playing this one again because I am dying for the new game (out in March) and I thought maybe this would satisfy me until then. It doesn't. I mean, it's a fun app game but I often just forget to play.
[Nintendo Switch] Untitled Goose Game - I got this one hoping to keep me distracted until March for the new Animal Crossing game, not realizing how dang short it was and finished it like a day or two after getting it. There are some extra stuff I can still do, and I know it'll be fun to re-play it with Matt so I think it's absolutely worth the money. It's such a fun game and I would easily buy a sequel.

Life Updates


This month has been a good one when it comes to reading. Ten books is by far a big reading month for me, especially since motivation for reading was really low at the end of 2019. I was determined to put reading in my daily schedule and making it a priority really got me back into the swing of things. I watched a lot of great shows and movies, and I enjoyed great games and music. Overall, it was a good time in terms of the media I consumed.

For life updates, I have been having some sleeping issues. Which is unfortunate, but it seems to come and go. Other than that things have been going okay. I have been mostly throwing myself into reading and blogging as much as I can. I also started a new bullet journal, which has been fun. I love the start of the new year, so I am hoping to continue this momentum.

February TBR


Little Women
Louisa May Alcott

I have never read or watched any version of this story, and surprisingly I've avoided any spoilers so I am excited to finally read this one! It'll be the first book I pick up in February and I am hoping I love it as much as everyone else! 

Tell Me How You Really Feel
Aminah Mae Safi

This looks so cute! I have been thinking of this one for a while, so I am happy I'm finally picking it up. It's a f/f romance, and I don't have too many romance books lined up for February right now so I am excited to get to this one. The reviews seem to be a bit down the middle, so I am interested to see what I think of this book. 

Daisy Jones & the Six 
Taylor Jenkins Reid

This was randomly available on my e-library app cloudLibrary so I immediately grabbed it. I am excited to finally read it after so many readers hyping it up, but I don't know much about the story itself. Hopefully I like it too!

Gods of Jade and Shadow
Silvia Moreno-Garcia 

I made it a goal this year to get through as many books I own as possible, and this is one of those books. I am so excited to finally read this gorgeous looking story. 

Thanks for reading!
What was your favorite book of January? What book are you most excited to read in February?

2 comments:

  1. So great to see you're getting back into the swing of things with reading, good on you! Really looking forward to hearing what you think of Little Women (and amazed that you managed to remain spoiler-free all this time!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put up my review a few days ago!! I liked some of it but overall it wasn't my favorite. I watched the 1994 adaptation and liked it a lot (maybe more than the book), and I am excited to watch the new one, but the book itself wasn't for me. And I agree! I am so surprised that I had never gotten spoiled!! <3 <3

      Delete