Sunday, August 4, 2019

July Wrap-Up 2019





Photo Credit

July has ended so now it's time to reflect on my month! In this post I will list my book reviews, other blog posts, movies, tv shows, life updates, music, and plans for the next month. I will of course link any reviews and anything non-bookish (which means I don't have a review) I will write a few sentences of my general thoughts! This is the year I plan on reading books I either on my shelves or on my kindle that I really need to get to. I also need to tackle finishing a lot of series I have started in the past.

Let's jump in!

* = favorite book of the month


Book Reviews

The Adventure Zone Volume 1 by Clint, Travis, Griffin, and Justin McElroy & Casey Pietch
My Hero Academia Volumes 16-19 by Kohei Horikoshi
Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins *
Mini Marvels: The Complete Collection by Chris Giarrusso
Moonstruck Volume 2: Some Enchanted Evening by Grace Ellis
Wundersmith: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend *
Veronica Mars: Mr. Kiss and Tell by Rob Thomas & Jennifer Graham *
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins *

Other Posts 

Auto-Buy Authors 
The Reading Rush TBR 

Movies Watched 

[Netflix DVD] Captain America: Winter Soldier - I found this one less interesting than the first, and that's saying something because half way through the first Captain America movie I completely check out. His movies are just not for me, and I need to accept that. ⭐
[Movie Theater] Spider-Man: Far From Home - This is the second best Spider-Man movie (Spider-Verse being the first, of course) and I absolutely loved it. Matt is the biggest Spidey fan and I love seeing how happy these movies and this character makes me. It fills me with so much happiness. We wanted to see it a second time, but we may just wait till it comes out on DVD, which we will of course be buying. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[DVD] The Hunger Games - I plan on re-watching all of the Hunger Games movies after I read the books. I really love these adaptations. I like that they show us more than just Katniss's POV. Jennifer Lawrence is still a fantastic actress and she does the perfect job for Katniss. And I think Josh Hutcherson is the perfect Peeta. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[DVD] Guardians of the Galaxy - I am a huge MCU fan, and I love the Avengers with all my soul. But I think the Guardians are my favorite. It's a super close (maybe tie) competition in my head and it changes depending how I am feeling. But what I am trying to say is this movie means so much to me. I love these characters with all my heart. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Netflix Streaming] Wreck-It-Ralph: Ralph Breaks the Internet - This was such a hot mess and does not even kind of live up to the brilliance of Wreck-It-Ralph. I am sad with how much  I ended up really disliking it and I am glad I didn't see it in theaters. ⭐.5
[DVD] Catching Fire - Another re-watch, which I loved. I think  I am appreciating this book more than I did originally when watching (and reading) it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

TV Shows (Finished) 

[Netflix] Stranger Things (Season 3) - This was such a good season!! This show is still my favorite Netflix Original Show and I love how this season went. I cannot wait for season four. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Netlix] Violet Evergarden - This broke my whole heart in half and I cried so much. Each episode had me a blubbering mess and the end absolutely shattered me. I am hoping we get more because it's a beautiful show. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Hulu] One Punch Man - This is one of the funniest anime shows I have ever watched. From the synopsis and overall look of the show it didn't seem like my kind of thing, but I really enjoyed it! I am a huge character driven kind of viewer/reader and I wasn't particularly attached to any of the characters, but it was funny and entertaining enough to keep me interested. ⭐⭐⭐
[Hulu] Danganronpa (Season 1) - This show is super addicting, mostly because of the format and plot. Again, it's another show that isn't super focused on the characters and more focused on the plot so I didn't feel a particular attachment to any of the characters. However, the suspense of the who-done-it murder mystery had me hooked from the beginning. ⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Hulu] Veronica Mars (Season 4) - Talking about shows that are character driven, this is one of the best character driven shows I've ever watched and it's been a favorite of mine for about a decade now I believe. Maybe longer. However, this season was a hot mess. I had so many issues with it. There were some good parts and I am excited for the fifth season, but this was a bit of a lackluster return after so many years (season 3 ended in 2007). ⭐⭐.5
[Hulu] The Bachelorette  - Talking about hot messes, this season of The Bachelorette was a hot mess. Matt and I watch this show (and the Bachelor) mostly so we understand who everyone is so we can watch the best show in this franchise, Bachelor in Paradise. Hannah wasn't a great Bachelorette with her poor choices. It ruined the season. ⭐⭐

TV Shows (Currently Watching) 

[Hulu] Attack on Titan - This is a re-watch for Matt and I. At least for season one. We watched season one when it was the only season years ago. I didn't remember everything so we decided to re-watch season one before continuing with the show. It's one of the best anime shows and I really enjoy it.
[Funamation] Yuri On Ice - I am re-watching this (for the fourth time now) but this time in the English Dub now that we have a Funimation subscription. Yuri On Ice is one of my top five favorite shows and I watch it when I'm down.
[Funamation] Fairy Tail - I am only a handful of episodes into this show but it's so cute so far! It's loved by so many and I can totally see why. I can't wait to continue.

Music 

[Music Video] I Wish by Hayley Kiyoko -  This is both such a cute song and video! I love the cameos from so many amazing actresses and I love all the dancing. Hayley Kiyoko is amazing.
[Music Video] Happysad by Meg & Dia - This new album is a bit of a disappointment to me. There are a few okay songs, but they're not enough to get me re-listening over and over again. I am a bit sad about not liking this album because I love  Meg & Dia's other albums so much and I love them as people. They seem so sweet and they're both so talented. I am hoping they release more music in the future and I end up liking that more than this album. Even the music video for American Spirit is just okay. It just feels like a low-effort comeback.
[Single] The Archer by Taylor Swift - This is probably the best single she has released in this new era. I am still not super on board with any of the new singles, which has me a little worried for the rest of the album but I still have hope I'll like some of the songs.

Apps

[iOS] WebToon - Such a good app to read free web-comics! So far I recommend Lore, Olympus and Castle Swimmer!
[iOS] MangaRock - Another great app to read free web-comics! I am currently only reading one, and I am not sure if I recommend it just yet so I am not going to talk about it here. But there are so many options.
[iOS] Funimation App  - Matt and I had a free subscription for a while but recently decided to pay for a subscription so we could have more options. If you like anime this is worth the $8 a month.

Trailers 

[Trailer] Mulan - This looks so incredibly good! I like Mulan but it's not a top favorite Disney movie for me, but I am so incredibly excited for the live action.
[Trailer] Zombieland: Double Tap - I am such a huge fan of the original Zombieland. It is a movie a bunch of my brand new college friends all packed into the car to go see on a whim and it was one of the most exciting cinema experiences I've ever had. The crowd went nuts and was so lively throughout the movie it felt like a live theater experience or something. So when I heard we were getting another movie I was on board instantly. This trailer just cements that feeling because it looks perfect. I cannot wait to see it for my birthday.

Life Updates 

Wedding planning has been pretty intense this month. We only have a little over two months to go and things are coming together. We met with our florist and our DJ so all the big decisions have been made. Now it's all about the meetings we have to go to in August and then the fun parts like my bridal shower in September and the Bachelorette/Bachelor parties. And of course finalizing all the details.

For reading, I feel like I did a lot better than I have. I participated in  The Reading Rush. I didn't win this year, but I read 4-5 books in that week which is really good for me. I plan on reading the books I didn't get to as soon as I can in August.

August TBR


Anger Is A Gift 
Mark Oshiro 
The Case For Jamie
Brittany Cavallaro 
Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief
Rick Riordan
What was your favorite book in July? I'd love to know! Have you read any of the ones I have? 
Thanks for reading! 

6 comments:

  1. Oh I love Percy Jackson so much! In fact, I just love Rick Riordan's books... He is awesome, but after PJO and Heroes of Olympus, Percy will forever hold a special place for me.

    I read Lore, Olympus on WebToons too. I don't know anyone else who does! :)

    Hope you have a great August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the PJO books ages ago and my brain is so foggy on the details so I thought a re-read would be great because then I could continue the spin off books! :D

      Yessss IT'S SO GOOD! And the art is so gorgeous!!

      I hope August treats you well! :D <3

      Delete
  2. Anger Is A Gift looks like an interesting read. I hadn't heard about this one before.
    Glad your wedding plans re coming together - exciting times!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about half way now and I've already gotten emotional so many times. It's so good so far!

      Thank you! Yes! A little over two months left, I cannot wait! :)

      Delete
  3. Ah I loved ST season 3 too! It was so amazing. I cannot wait for season 4.

    Jennifer Lawrence really is the perfect Katniss! I think she's brilliant too.

    Hope your wedding planning continues smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! I hope the wait for season 4 isn't as long as it was for season 3! I am so impatient haha.

      She's such a perfect Katniss!!

      Thank you so much!! We are almost there! Just a little over two months to go.

      Delete