Thursday, July 25, 2019

[Comic Book Review] Mini Marvels: The Complete Collection by Chris Giarrusso





All-ages fun featuring the wild and crazy kid counterparts to Marvel's greatest heroes! All of your favorite hilarious, action-packed Mini Marvels adventures collected in one complete volume! Spidey gets the paperboy blues, Wolverine goes on a cereal quest, Hulk goes on a date, and the Fantastic Four are impersonated by alien Skrulls! Iceman and Firestar help Spidey deliver his newspapers while he babysits Power Pack! Thor returns, Iron Man builds armor for the Avengers, and Hawkeye squares off against Galactus! And where did Red Hulk and Blue Hulk come from anyway? Plus, Hawkeye battles the Curse of the Crimson Crown...and who is Elephant Steve?! Plus: a complete run of Mini Marvels classic comic strips!

 * * *

I am a huge fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and some of their comics! A few years ago I was gifted this comic collection because of how much I love the MCU and I am so grateful to have been given this comic collection because it's so great! This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. This is technically a re-read, and although I remembered most of the content, I was still laughing so hard. 

Some of everyone's favorite superheroes have big roles in these comics. Spider-Man, Thor, Iron-Man, Hulk, Hawkeye, multiple X-Men, and more. Although some have more page time than others, I think the creators did a good job giving a quick idea of who each of the heroes are in case maybe the reader doesn't know. 

I would describe this collection as the comic Avengers version of Teen Titans GO. Like Teen Titans GO, which is a more light-hearted and cartoon-y version of the show Teen Titans, Mini Marvels is less deep and serious and more light and goofy. I think both (of both the Avengers & Teen Titans) versions have their time & place. I love both versions of each so much. 

The art is great. I had a little bit of knowledge of Chris Giarrusso's art because of G-Man, a comic I haven't read but saw around a lot. I really like the very cartoon-y thick lines type of art style he has. I think it works well with the kind of comic strip style these comics are presented. Each of the comics, whether they were multiple pages, a full page, or just a strip, were all so entertaining and humorous. You don't need to know the backstory of all of these heroes to get the jokes but having a general idea of who they are definitely helps get the jokes more. 

The only real problem I have with this collection, and honestly I think it was more of when I read it, was that it got a little repetitive. I think if these comics (the strips, single page ones especially) were distributed to me like once a day or even something I went back to every couple days I may have had more enjoyment. But because I was reading it for a read-a-thon, my enjoyment definitely decreased slightly because by the last quarter of the comics it all felt a bit same-y. 

Overall, if you like marvel and/or comics in general you're probably going to like this. If you're in the mood to laugh a lot this is definitely the one to pick up. I highly recommend this collection and it's definitely one I can see myself re-reading when  I am in the mood to laugh. 




Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment