Friday, August 2, 2019

[Book Review] Veronica Mars: Mr. Kiss and Tell by Rob Thomas




In the second book in the New York Times bestselling mystery series, Veronica Mars is back with a case that will expose the hidden workings of one of Neptune’s most murderous locations.

The Neptune Grand has always been the seaside town’s ritziest hotel, despite the shady dealings and high-profile scandals that seem to follow its elite guests. When a woman claims that she was brutally assaulted in one of its rooms and left for dead by a staff member, the owners know that they have a potential powder keg on their hands. They turn to Veronica to disprove—or prove—the woman's story.

The case is a complicated mix of hard facts, mysterious occurrences, and uncooperative witnesses. The hotel refuses to turn over its reservation list and the victim won’t divulge who she was meeting that night. Add in the facts that the attack happened months ago, the victim’s memory is fuzzy, and there are holes in the hotel’s surveillance system, and Veronica has a convoluted mess on her hands. As she works to fill in the missing pieces, it becomes clear that someone is lying—but who? And why?


* * *
 CW: rape, sexual assault 

This was such a good story!! I am a huge fan of Veronica Mars (I may be forgetting season four ever happened though) and I really enjoyed the first book. So I was excited to finally read the second, considering it was sitting on my bookshelf for far too long. I have been putting it off, because it could have possibly been the last Veronica Mars story. But now that we have a new mini series (which, who knows if I'll continue after season 4's mess) I decided to pick it up to celebrate that season 4 was starting soon. I am not sure how to review this without getting into a lot of spoilers of the show, movie, and the previous book. So I am going to try to make it short and sweet.

Rob Thomas does a good job with making sure the humor, wit, and the personalities of each of the characters we've learned to love after all of these years still shine well in novel form. Because we are used o these characters being on screen and being portrayed by such great actors, writing them in a novel form could prove to be difficult. But I think it was done really well and I never felt like the characters didn't feel like themselves.

Veronica Mars is a show that is known for touching on pretty sensitive subjects, rape and sexual assault being two of ones that have been brought up often. I think it's been handled really well in this book. Veronica has always been a fighter and defender for sexual assault and rape victims because of what she's been through in her past, so seeing her be so passionate about this case is always uplifting and empowering.

Keith Mars, Veronica's dad, also has his own story line. He is helping Eli "Weevil" Navarro finally take down the Neptune Police, especially the Police Chief. The police are planting evidence and letting people be accused of crimes they did not commit. The end of this part of the story is so infuriating and I was surprised that this part of the story was brought up in season 4 of the show.

Overall this story is incredibly addictive like the show. I couldn't put it down after starting it and I was hooked the minute I started. I think if you like the show and movie and want more this is a great way to get more Veronica Mars stories. Each book seems like it's own specific case. Like I said, season four references a part of this book's plot, so I'd make sure  I read it before starting the new season. I would consume the entire franchise as this: Seasons 1-3, the movie, first book (Thousand Dollar Tan Line), second book (Mr. Kiss & Tell), and then season 4. Either way it's a good time and I recommend it to anyone interested in a good mystery story.



Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! I'm a HUGE Veronica Mars junkie too (I've not watched the new series yet, I'm saving it for the right moment) - I always avoided reading the books, though, because I was just so sure that the humour and wit of the show wouldn't translate as well to the page, and I didn't want to ruin it for myself. You've *almost* got me convinced to pick this one up though, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete