Wednesday, April 3, 2019

March Wrap-Up 2019


PC: Pauline Jurkevicius

March has ended so now it's time to reflect on my month! I will list my book reviews, other blog posts, movies, tv shows, life updates, music, and plans for the next month. I will of course link any reviews and anything non-bookish (which means I don't have a review) I will write a few sentences of my general thoughts! This is the year I plan on reading books I either on my shelves or on my kindle that I really need to get to. I also need to tackle finishing a lot of series I have started in the past.

Let's jump in!

* = favorite books of the month


Book Reviews

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Small Town Hearts by Lillie Vale *
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro *
The Last of August by Brittany Cavallaro
The Backstagers Vol. 1: Rebels Without Applause 
Damsel by Elana K. Arnold *
Goldie Vance Vol. 1
Black AF Vol. 1
Mighty Jack by Ben Hatke *

Other Posts 

Characters I'd Want to Switch Places With 
H & E Book Chat: The Time Traveler's Wife
Spring TBR 2019
Pairing Music with Books

Movies Watched 

[Netflix DVD] Skyscraper - This is an action movie starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson that came out sometime last year. Matt and I are pretty big The Rock fans so we decided to try it out. Typically, I am not an action movie type of gal but I ended up liking this one a lot. It was definitely fun and I am happy we watched it, but I doubt it's a movie I'd want to watch again. ⭐⭐⭐.5
[Amazon Prime] The Time Traveler's Wife -  I thought this was way better than the book was but honestly I still didn't love it or even really like it. ⭐⭐.5
[Netflix] Disney's Christopher Robin -  This was an AMAZING movie. I loved it so damn much and  I need to not only buy the DVD for my own collection, I want a stuffed Pooh that looks like the movie one so badly. If you love Winnie the Pooh, you'll love this one. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

TV Shows (Finished)

[Netflix] One Day At A Time (Seasons 1-3) - I am pretty mad with Netflix right now. I don't remember getting any kind of trailers or promotions about this show, and it deserved to be treated better. This show is the perfect family show, and I often am not a huge fan of sitcoms but this one was amazing. I am so sad it got cancelled but I am hoping someone picks it up so it can have more seasons. From what I hear Netflix has been doing this show dirty from the beginning and the actors and fans have been rallying for it to get more seasons since the first one. The actors basically had to fight for their jobs every single season and I hope a channel or network will pick it up and treat it the way it should be treated. This show is so important. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Hulu & Funimation] My Hero Academia (Seasons 1-3) - This is my brand new obsession. I love this show more than anything and I am so excited for season 4. Until then I am planning on reading all the mangas that are currently out!  If you are into anime shows and you haven't watched this one, I highly recommend it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Currently Watching 

[Netflix] Brooklyn 99 - We are still really loving this one! I kind of forced us to take a small break because of My Hero Academia and my obsession with it. However, we are a few episodes into season 4 and it's still absolutely amazing.

Music I've Enjoyed

[Album] When We All Fall Asleep by Billie Eilish - This album is heartbreaking and gorgeous. Typically, I don't listen to a lot of music that is so melancholy like Billie's music but I really love her voice and lyrics. However, it's not something I can listen to all the time but definitely if I am feeling mellow and/or sad.
[Music Video] Tempo by Lizzo ft. Missy Elliott - I am still fairly new to everything that is Lizzo and her music but I am loving her new stuff. Juice is still a song I listen to on repeat and is on every single one of my playlists. Tempo is no exception!

Movie Trailers That Have Me Pumped

[Trailer] NOS4A2 - I am so excited for this show. I'd like to re-read the book before I watch the show but who knows if that'll end up happening in time. I still need to figure out how I am going to watch it, considering I don't have cable. I am hoping Hulu or Netflix picks it up, but if it's the latter it may be a long wait after the season ends.
[Trailer] Dora The Explorer - I know this is such a weird one to add but I am so interested in this movie. I am in the generation where I was a little too old for Dora, but if you had a younger sibling or any kid in your life you've probably seen a lot of Dora. I dunno man, this just looks like fun.
[Trailer] Batman vs. TMNT - I am not the biggest Batman fan, but I do love the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This looks like a great animated superhero movie.  Matt is really into them so I tend to watch them with him and although for me they're hit or miss, I always enjoy watching them with him.
[Trailer] Avengers: Endgame  - Obviously I am excited for this!! I am a bit terrified as well but  I think it's going to be really good. The trailer has me pumped.

Random Favorites

[App] TikTok - I brought up TikTok a month or two ago and I thought I'd shout it out again because I have been in love with it. I have found so many amazing cosplayers through the app and I love seeing how creative people are whether that be with cosplay, art, comedy, etc. This app gets a lot of shit because it was once musically, but I think it's improved so much. If you liked the app Vine, you'd probably like TikTok.

Books DNFed

[DNF] The Priory of the Orange Tree - I plan on reading this one, so this DNF isn't a permanent one. I just wasn't in the mood for such a high fantasy. I got over 150 pages in and honestly I had no idea what was happening. I may try to get my hands on the audiobook too. I am not sure yet.
[DNF] 5 Worlds: The Sand Warriors - I love comics and graphic novels, but this one was really boring. I got over half way and I just decided I wasn't interested. It was probably more a me thing, I had been reading this the same time as Priority of the Orange Tree so it could have been my mood. The art was gorgeous.

Life Updates

March was a month of a lot of ups and downs. My anxiety and depression were having a great time popping up at the most awful times. And then, at the end of the month I developed some really bad tooth pain that I am still currently dealing with. Which is why my wrap-up is going up today and not three days ago. I was in so much pain that I wasn't sleeping, wasn't eating, and honestly didn't want to do anything but distract myself from the pain with watching Netflix. However, I did read a lot of pretty amazing stuff and I am hoping to continue those good vibes in April.

March TBR

I plan on continuing my read of the My Hero Academia mangas. I have already read two, but I plan on reviewing them in groups of three so I don't have over a dozen reviews on these mangas. Other than that I have a handful of books I'd like to get to this month.

The Near Witch
V.E. Schwab

I got this in the mail on the release date and I am so excited to read it! Schwab is my favorite author and I've always wanted to read her first novel, so when she announced it was being put back on the shelves with a brand new cover I was ready. 

Wicked Saints
Emily A. Duncan

I am so happy I won a pre-order copy of this book in a giveaway because I am in love with the synopsis. I have had my eyes on it for so long and I cannot believe we are already at the release date! Also, if you haven't I highly recommend looking up photos of the spine of this book, it's breathtaking.

Nevermoor
Jessica Townsend

This is one chunky boy, but it's middle grade so I am hoping it'll be a good one to pick up when I need something fun and easy, especially since both The Near Witch and Wicked Saints seem to be stories with darker themes. I am so excited to finally see what everyone's been talking about with this one!
 I have others on my mind that I'd like to read, but what I want to read changes with my mood so  I don't like making super long TBRs if I can help it. Overall, I am really excited to read these.
That is my March Wrap-Up! How was your March reading/life wise? I hope you're well and that April is kind to you! Do you have a favorite book, show,  movie, etc from March? Have you read/watched anything I mentioned?
Thanks for reading!

2 comments: