Wednesday, December 4, 2019

October & November 2019 Wrap-Up



Photo Credit
October and November have ended so now it's time to reflect on both of the months! In this post I will list my book reviews, other blog posts, movies, tv shows, life updates, music, and plans for the next month. I will of course link any reviews and anything non-bookish (which means I don't have a review) I will write a few sentences of my general thoughts! October was such a busy month for me! Between getting married, catching some sort of awful stomach bug, my birthday, and our stay-cation after our wedding it was a month of constant things happening. And then in November my mental health took a bad turn, and I was unmotivated to do anything, which put blogging and reading on the back burner. However, with everything that went on these two months, I am hoping my reading spark is back and December will be a bit better for me! 

Let's jump into my wrap-up!


* = favorite books

Book Reviews

October
Beyond A Darkened Shore by Jessica Leake
Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh *
The Miracles of the Namiya General Store by Keigo Higashino *
The Okay Witch by Emma Steinkellner

November 
Mooncakes by Wendy Xu & Suzanne Walker *
Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks
Check, Please! Book 1: #Hockey by Ngozi Ukazu *
Carry On by Rainbow Rowell  *
Wayward Son by Rainbow Rowell

Other Posts

Books With Autumn Vibes

Movies Watched

[Netflix DVD] Aquaman - Matt and I wanted to see this in theaters but the reviews kept us from doing so. We only have so much money to spend on movies in the cinema and we didn't want to waste it, and now I regret it because I loved this movie! It was so much fun.
[Netflix] Addams Family - This is an October tradition, I love this movie and the sequel, which we didn't get to in time but still plan on watching soon.
[Netflix DVD] IT Pt. 1 - We finally saw the first movie to the new IT franchise, and it was fairly good. I didn't love it, but it was fun. I am excited to watch the second once it is out on DVD.
[DVD] Vampire Academy - This is a favorite go-to movie to watch when I am in the mood for something funny that doesn't take itself serious. I love it, and watching it in October is always a little extra great.
[DVD] Okko's Inn - This is the sweetest story about a girl who gains the powers to see ghosts after being in a bad car accident that took her parent's lives. It's so cute and funny while balancing heartbreaking and hopeful. I highly recommend it.
[DVD] Corpse Bride - Another October tradition, I love this movie so much!
[DVD] Halloween - A Halloween day tradition. Matt and I have watched this movie on Halloween every year since our first Halloween together in 2009. So it's our tenth year!
[DVD] Coraline - I watch this movie every couple months, but it just feels differently in October.
[Disney+] The Color of Friendship - I watched this movie when it aired on the Disney channel and I remember loving it. I was worried that it wouldn't have held up well in 2019, but honestly other than one or two things, I really enjoyed this movie.
[Disney+] Motocrossed  - One of my favorite Disney Channel Original Movies, and it still is honestly!
[Disney+] Friday the 13th (2009) - Despite it being the middle of November, Matt wanted to watch this so we did and it wasn't a bad movie at all. It was a lot of fun.
[Disney+] Stuck in the Suburbs - Another Disney Channel Original Movie I loved when it aired and thought it was still a great movie!
[Disney+] Double Teamed - Another Disney Channel Original Movie. This one I loved when I was younger when it aired, and although I enjoyed it as an adult I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as I previously did. First, the fact that they wanted us to believe that the two main actresses were just starting high school is a joke, when they were obviously at least in their early to mid twenties, but also the acting wasn't great. However, I am happy I was able to go down memory lane a bit.
[Neflix DVD] Detective Pikachu - THIS WAS SO CUTE! We really wanted to see it in theaters but we got so busy and it was hard to get to the cinema. So I am so happy we finally saw it. I loved everything about it and I really want to buy it for my collection. 
[Disney+] Lady and the Tramp (2019) - I really enjoyed this movie!!! I love the original so much, and I am so happy the live action re-make was well done! I did have some issues with the dog catcher for one, and some of the smaller things. But the spirit of the original (minus the racist cats, who are in the re-make, but better) movie was carried into the re-make really well. It made me emotional. And I loved the spaghetti scene with my entire soul.
[Netflix] The Knight Before Christmas - This, was an experience. I am all about some cheesy Christmas movies, trust me, but sometimes they are too much and this definitely qualifies as too much. It was a fun time overall, it always is when Matt and I watch movies like this one. But it's not one I'd re-watch.
[Disney+] Noelle -This was cute! I got a bit grumpy at a few parts, but overall we really enjoyed this one!! I love Anna Kendrick so damn much, so I was bound to at least enjoy myself. Matt liked it too!

TV Shows (Currently Watching)

[Netflix] The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - We are in the second season, and really liking it! I haven't heard many people talking about this series when the second season aired so I was worried, but we are really enjoying it.
[Disney+] Lizzie  McGuire - The first thing I started watching when we got Disney +! I am loving this re-watch and it makes me so excited for the new show!
[Hulu] Sailor Moon (season 4)  - The dub came out on Hulu, so of course we started watching the new Sailor Moon and I am of course loving it. Sailor Moon will always be a favorite of mine.
[Funimation] My Hero Academia (season 4) - Ahhh we are in the new season of MHA!! With my entire heart I hate the fact that we have to wait each week for a new episode because they're so short, but I am loving it.
[Hulu] Bob's Burgers (season 10) - This show is always going to be a favorite of mine, so I love that we have new episodes each week.
[Funimation] Free! Season Two. I am finally continuing this show after watching and completing the first season a handful of months ago and I am so excited. I'm already hooked and loving it.
[Netflix] The Dragon Prince - I watched the first two seasons alone but when we saw that season 3 was available I convinced Matt to start from the beginning and watch it! We just hit season 3 so now we are in the territory of the show I haven't seen, so I am excited. I love this show so much, it's so wholesome and cute while also having pretty dark themes. It's such a clever show.

TV Shows (Finished)

[Netflix] Haikyu - I loveeeed this show with my entire being, and I am so excited for season three. I prefer dubbed versus subbed when it comes to watching anime, so I don't mind waiting for the English dub, even if I am impatient and want more nowww! I plan on reading the manga too, since I have it accessible to me with the Viz app. I can't believe how much I am into sport anime.
[Netflix] Victorious  - When it became well known that Netflix had Victorious, Matt wanted to watch it so badly. So we did and we loved it. More Matt than me, because I get really annoyed with the plots sometimes, but overall I love some of the characters so much so it was worth it.

Music

[Album] Bad Ideas by Tessa Violet - This is such a good album!! I have been a fan of Tessa's since her Meekakitty days where she'd lip sing some of her current favorite songs, and once she started making music I was hooked. I love her voice, her song concepts, and her overall presence.
[Album] Hearts Intertwined by Lizz Robinett & Dysergy - I downloaded this on a whim, and it's such a relaxing album to listen to while reading, playing video games, blogging, etc. It's really cute and Lizz's voice is stunning.

Apps/Games

[Nintendo Switch] Let's Go Eeevee! - This may be blasphemy to say, but this is probably my favorite Pokemon game. I loved it so much and it's one I'll probably go back and replay the most often.
[Nintendo Switch] Pokemon Shield - I am still playing this one, but loving it!! I just got my fourth gym badge. I typically take a long time to play Pokemon games because I like to take my time and not rush through it, but so far I am really loving it.
[Nintendo Switch] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionares' Conspiracy - Matt and I have been playing these games for the last decade. I own I believe four now for my 3DS and we've played through all of them, so when we learned there was one available for the Nintendo Switch we had to get it! We are loving it so much, of course, especially being able to play on our television. It's been tradition for  Matt to do all the voices of the characters and it's such a comfort game for me, so playing it makes me so happy. Plus we get really into solving the puzzles.

Life Updates


So, first, WE GOT MARRIED! AH! It was the most perfect day, and although we are still waiting for all our photos and video, I will attach some of the sneak peeks below. I also tend to post a bunch on my Instagram, if you're interested in seeing more in the future just follow me by clicking here! I do plan on putting the video on YouTube, so I'll probably be linking it on my Instagram and December Wrap-Up. Our day was everything we were hoping for and more. Despite the small issues, like rain, mud, and the mud being the cause of me twisting my ankle, we managed, and it was perfect anyways. Our photographer is a talented magic worker, so if you live in Maine, I highly recommend Erica Shirley Photography








After the wedding, we had two weeks to ourselves where we had a mall trip for my birthday, went to bookstores, and just relaxed at home. The first week I unfortunately had an awful stomach bug, so we had no choice to rest for half our vacation. But other than that, our little stay-cation was exactly what we needed before Matt went back to work.

Once Matt went to work my mental health was a bit rocky, honestly, I am still having bad days. For weeks I didn't want to do anything but sleep. So, I slept a lot. I think I needed it, because mid to late November I started getting interested in my hobbies again. I wasn't exhausted all the time, and I felt less foggy. I think the holidays certainly help, but also my amazing support system. However, because I wasn't interested in reading, I didn't do a lot of it. I have been leaning heavily on graphic novels and comic book volumes to keep my toes in the reading waters so I didn't lose interest entirely, which I think was smart of me because I am getting into actual novels now. So let's talk about some of the books I want to read in December.

December TBR


Lord of the Flies
William Golding 

I haven't read this, or watched the movie, and I have no idea what happens in this so I thought it would be fun to read. What motivated me to read it seems like a crazy reason, but a bunch of my favorite creators on TikTok were cosplaying the characters and it made me so interested in the story because of the way they portrayed so much of it. It's an odd motivator, but I am pumped. 
 Children of Virtue and Vengeance 
Tomi Adeyemi 

I am super pumped for this one!! It's been such a journey when it comes to this book's publication date (it was supposed to come out early this year, then early summer, and then it was pushed to December) so I am just excited to have this book in my hands. I do need a refresher of the first book, so I may either re-read or look up a summary, depending on how lazy and impatient I am feeling.
Gideon The Ninth 
Tamsyn Muir 

I know nothing about this book, but I know it has so much hype behind it. So I decided to cave and go in blindly. I have been invited to buddy read them with a friend and some new friends, so I am excited! Because I am going in blindly, I don't have too much to say but wish me luck! 

The Bear and the Nightingale
Katherine Arden 

I have had this book on so many TBRs and it's ridiculous that I haven't read it yet. I have had it on my kindle for years, so now I am just going to read it finally. This is another one I know almost nothing about, but there is so much hype behind it and I am just so excited to read it!

Thanks for reading!
How were your October and November? Did you have a favorite book from either month? Happy Holidays!!


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your wedding!! Those photos are GORGEOUS, and sending you all my warmest wishes and best vibes for a long and happy life together 😍 Glad to hear the fog is lifting for you, too, and you're getting back into the swing of things - happy holidays indeed! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! You're so sweet. I hope the rest of 2019 treats you well! :) <3

      Delete
  2. Congratulations, and those are beautiful photos!

    I hope your December is a better month in terms of mental health <3

    Oh gosh A Knight Before Christmas was definitely too too much ;) But I still kinda liked it. I was there for the cheesiness, and boy did it deliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amy!!! Youre the sweetest, I appreciate you so much.

      Matt LOVED it! So I think I was just being a bit of a Grinch that day or something hahaha. I am happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete