Saturday, October 26, 2019

[Book Review] Fear the Drowning Deep by Sarah Glenn Marsh




Witch’s apprentice Bridey Corkill has hated the ocean ever since she watched her granddad dive in and drown with a smile on his face. So when a dead girl rolls in with the tide in the summer of 1913, sixteen-year-old Bridey suspects that whatever compelled her granddad to leap into the sea has made its return to the Isle of Man.

Soon, villagers are vanishing in the night, but no one shares Bridey’s suspicions about the sea. No one but the island’s witch, who isn’t as frightening as she first appears, and the handsome dark-haired lad Bridey rescues from a grim and watery fate. The cause of the deep gashes in Fynn’s stomach and his lost memories are, like the recent disappearances, a mystery well-guarded by the sea. In exchange for saving his life, Fynn teaches Bridey to master her fear of the water — stealing her heart in the process.

Now, Bridey must work with the Isle’s eccentric witch and the boy she isn’t sure she can trust — because if she can’t uncover the truth about the ancient evil in the water, everyone she loves will walk into the sea, never to return.


* * *

If you know me, you know I am not only a huge fan of Sarah Glenn Marsh's fantasy duology Reign of the Fallen and Song of the Dead, but I am also a fan of Sarah! So it was basically blasphemy that I had not read her debut novel and I am so mad it took me so long because I am in love with Fear the Drowning Deep. Sarah describes this book as her love letter to the ocean and I think that is evident in her writing and the story. 

"Nothing from the ocean is meant to survive on land forever."

Bridley was a fantastic main character. She is very head strong, intelligent, and charming. It is incredibly easy to root for her and want her to succeed. She has a fear of the ocean because of something traumatic in her past which often became a joking thing to the ones around her because they live right near the ocean. As someone who isn't the biggest fan of being in or on large bodies of water and someone who grew up on an island and lives near the water currently, I could definitely relate. Flynn, the secondary character and love interest was incredibly sweet and mysterious. He was obviously smitten by Bridley early on in the story but it never felt like insta-love. They naturally got to know each other and as they got to know each other their relationship formed. 

I really loved Bridley's apprentice/mentor relationship with Morag, the village's outcast witch. They had a great back and forth of bickering but as their friendship formed I feel like their fondness for each other was evident in the way they took care of each other. Also, Bridley's dedication to defending  Morag against the judgemental villagers. The small town, tight knit community was really well written. The community all help each other out but they also can be closed minded and judgemental to anyone or anything new. 

The plot is simple but haunting. I think the writing and the atmosphere is what makes the story amazing. Sarah's writing is gorgeous. It's filled with rich descriptions and imagery, mystery, and magic. Her writing feels like a warm hug, despite the story being incredibly chilling. The action scenes are well written and easy to follow, Sarah writes about the ocean between the descriptions of the ocean and the mysterious creatures that Bridley was sure resided in the water I felt like the ocean was a separate character. I am so impressed that this is Sarah's debut novel, but I am not surprised with how gorgeous her writing is in her fantasy duology. It makes me so proud of her while also so excited to see what else she has in store for us. 

Although like I said the plot is simple, it was also addicting. The mystery behind the deaths of the girls washed up on shore and the mystery surrounding Fynn's past kept me turning the pages and desperately needing answers. It had me hooked from the beginning and although I picked it up at the wrong time (before my wedding, where I was the most busy) so it took me way longer than I would have like to finish it, when I wasn't reading it I was certainly thinking of it. I do think the fact that it took me so long to read it may have affected my entertainment factor, but that isn't any fault to the reader and all to do with how hectic my life was in the moments when I picked it up. I plan on reading it in the future so I can properly enjoy this story the way it should be enjoyed.

Overall, I highly recommend this book! If you liked Victoria Schwab's book The Near Witch, you'll love this one. I am so happy I have finally read this amazing book and I cannot wait to read whatever next Sarah has in store for us! Also, I need to own a copy of Morag's book of monsters! It gave me Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (the book, not the movie) vibes in terms of me wanting a book filled with monsters. I am a simple reader, and I just want to collect beautifully illustrated books of mythical creatures. Anyway, I'd love to talk about Fear the Drowning Deep if you've read it! 



Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved this! Sarah is so awesome. I need to finish this one ASAP. I had to put it down before when I was in a slump but I was enjoying it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah is the greatest!! And I hope you end up loving it when you pick it back up!! :D <3

      Delete
  2. That cover is so lovely, and I can absolutely enjoy a book if the plot is addictive but not complicated. Addictive is fun ;)
    Great review, Heather. I'll keep an eye out for a copy of this novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss!! And the cover is so pretty omg. Thank you!! If you end up reading it I cannot wait to read your thoughts! :)<3

      Delete
  3. Oooh! This sounds awesome! I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete