Sunday, July 1, 2018

June Wrap-Up




This is my monthly post where I talk about how the month went for me when it came to reading and some events that maybe sparked me to read more (or stopped me from reading as much as I wanted to). I also link all the reviews I did in the month, update any reading challenges I've signed up for, discuss my plans for the following month, non-book things I've enjoyed, and give updates of my life. This year I have decided that I am not making a big deal on how many books I read or letting myself feel any guilt for the amount I didn't read. I am just going to read what sounds good in the moment without any guilt or pressure. I hope everyone has had a fantastic reading month and that next month goes even better! I cannot believe we are already passed the half way mark of 2018. Let's jump into how June went for me!

* = favorites

Book Reviews 

All Out: The No-Longer Secret Stories of Queer Teens Throughout The Ages by Saundra Mitchell
Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann
An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir *
Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire *
Golden Boy by Abigail Tartellin
Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire *
Orange Vol. One by Ichigo Takano *
Daughter of Deep Silence by Carrie Ryan
Soft in the Middle by Shelby Eileen

My Other Posts

Books I DNFed Too Quickly
Library Lovers Book Tag
LGBTQIA+ Books
Summer TBR
Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag 
Pride Flag Book Tag 
Authors I Won't Be Reading Anymore

Movies/TV Shows (Finished) 

Disney's Coco * - I am so happy I was finally able to watch this! It broke me and it's one of my new favorite movies. I feel like Disney and Pixar have such an amazing track record for making amazing movies. It's so easy to love their stories.
Deadpool 2 * - This was amazing. I think I even liked it more than the first one, and I LOVED the first one. I am a huge fan of the characters. I wish we got more of Negasonic Teenage Warhead. She's my favorite in the movies. And her and her girlfriend Yukio are SO cute.
Iron Man 2 -We are slowly going through the Marvel movies trying to watch them all before Infinity War Pt. 2. I love the Iron Man movies, but the second one is probably the weakest. It's still a really entertaining movie and I love Tony and Piper together. They're one of my favorite couples. So it was fun. I am excited to keep going. I think our next one is my man Thor!
Assassin's Creed- This was a hot mess. The script wasn't written well and everything felt so disconnected. I loved the way the Assassin's Creed world looked. It's gorgeous. And I really liked the way they showed us how Michael Fastbender's character's actions were portrayed in the real world. Since he's in this virtual reality type thing instead of it being boring in the real world of a guy just half asleep you see him fighting. It's hard to explain but I found it really cool. I didn't care about the story or what was happening. I don't remember anyone's names, or really much of the plot.
The Flinstones *- This is a childhood favorite of mine. I am hoping to watch #2 sometime soon. I saw that Netflix had them both and I am so excited about it. I loved Pebbles so much when I was a kid so I watched the movies and tv show all the time.
Daphne and Velma -This was a hot mess. The acting and writing were not well done and it was just too cringy. I expect cringe when it comes to these kind of live action kid's movies but most of the time it's bearable. I just really hated the way both Daphne and Velma were portrayed. However, Vanessa Marano is in the movie and I absolutely love her. So that was nice.
Love, Simon *- I'VE FINALLY SEEN LOVE, SIMON AND I LOVED IT SO MUCH. It's such a good movie. There are changes from the book (Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli) to the movie, but the changes make sense. What is most important is that the heart of the book shines through so brilliantly in the movie. I bawled. It's beautiful. Please see it if you haven't.

Currently Watching 

Charmed * - I am currently in the beginning of season six and I am loving this re-watch. It's been a handful of years so I don't remember everything. This show is one of those shows for me where I can just watch over and over again and never get bored.
Sabrina the Teenage Witch - I hated this show when I was a kid, but Matt thought I may like it now that I am older so we have been watching. It's been okay. I enjoy parts and really hate other parts. But I am enjoying it enough to continue for now.
Sailor Moon * - I LOVED Sailor Moon when I was younger, and when I mentioned to Matt (who also loved it when he was little) that I don't remember if  I ever watched it all the way through in order we decided to do just that. And I am loving it.
The Bachelorette - A handful of years ago Matt got me into this franchise and although my favorite is  Paradise,  unfortunately you kind of have to watch Bachelor and Bachelorette for Paradise to be enjoyable. I am liking this season okay so far. It's nothing special but there are some good moments and moments that piss me off so much poor Matt is stuck listening to me rant.
Cloak and Dagger -  We have only had the chance to watch the first two episodes so far but we are liking it!
Orange * -  I have been cautiously watching this but I am worried I will be spoiled because I've only read the first volume of the manga. So I am waiting until I am done with volume two before I continue watching! I am really loving it though.

Movie Trailers I Am Excited About!

Wreck it Ralph 2 * - This looks SO cute! I love the first Wreck it Ralph so I am so excited for part two.
Spider-Man Into The Spider Verse * - I LOVE THE STYLE OF THE ART! Matt, my fiancé's favorite thing in the entire world is Spider-Man, so he's beyond excited and I am too! It looks so good.
How to Train Your Dragon 3 - Although I am really excited about this movie, the whole Toothless getting a girlfriend thing seems weird and unnecessary. So although I am excited about this movie, I am a little apprehensive.
The Hate U Give * - THIS TRAILER! MY GOD! I already have shed way too many tears for this movie and I have only seen a two-three minute trailer. I need to re-read the book before we see the movie. It's coming out a couple days before my birthday so I know my birthday plans for this year.

Music

Crush by Tessa Violet -  I have been a fan of Tessa Violet (formerly known as Meekakitty on YouTube) since the beginning. I love how much she's grown as a person and an artist. Her voice is one of my favorites and her music has always resonated with me. Crush is a BOP and I am so excited for the rest of her album Bad Ideas to drop August 3rd.
Icarus by Emma Blackery - Emma is another  YouTuber I have been following for a while. I enjoy her skits but I also enjoy her music. So when Emma posted a demo clip of this song on her Instagram sometime late 2017 I saved it and watched it over and over again. I am in love with this song. I think it's one of her best songs so far and I am really excited for her album Villains to drop August 31.
Growing Pains by Alessia Cara - I love Alessia Cara so much. I think she's one of the best younger musicians out right now. I have had this song on repeat along with all of her other songs.

Apps/Games 

Oak * - I have been trying to meditate once a day (I haven't been so great at it but I am trying my best hahaha) and I think this is the best app for that. A lot of apps I've tried want you to pay for extra mediation stuff and although I don't doubt there are paid packages on this app (I am not sure) the free ones are incredibly helpful.
Sky Guide * - I've owned this app for years but I love using it during the spring/summer because star gazing is so much fun to do in the warmer weather. This app shows you all the stars above you in that moment, along with the planets, constellations, and other space-y things. I love learning about that kind of thing.

Life Updates 

Writing has been a main focus this month and I've really enjoyed focusing on writing. Matt was gone for four days (for training because he got a promotion at work! yay!) and I did a nice amount of writing. Not as much as I wanted to but I still got some done and I am happy with what I got done. I definitely plan on doing more in July because I am signing up for Camp NaNoWrimo! If you want to be pals on the website I'll link my profile here. Summer is my least favorite season so I am hoping it distracts me from my hatred of summer for the month of  July.

July Plans 

I've got some library books coming my way, and I have a handful of books I really want to read that I own. Some of those books being Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir, Toil & Trouble by Tess Sharpe, Sadie by Courtney Summers, An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson, Vicious by V.E. Schwab, Our Dark Duet by V.E. Schwab, The Last Namsara by Kristen Ciccarelli, and probably so many more. I always have really ambitious reading plans but these are definitely the ones I have my eyes on for the month. Like I said earlier, I really want to do more writing. I am hoping to write at least 500 words a day. I will probably do more than that but if I at least get 500 words each day I'll be happy.

How was your month? What was your favorite book you read in June? What book are you the most excited to read in July? Happy reading and I hope everyone is doing well!

Thanks for reading!


4 comments:

  1. Oh my word the THUG trailer!! OH MY WORD!! I am so excited for that movie!!

    I love Iron Man 2, but it's definitely more of a character driven movie than it is a strong plot, etc. And I adore Tony and Pepper; they get a lot of hate from fans as a couple, but I love them. I think they're amazing. High five!

    Hope July is a wonderful writing month for you and you get a lot done :) I'm doing Camp Nano, so I'm also hoping to write a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHH I CRY EVERY SINGLE TIME I WATCH IT!

      Yeah!! I love Iron Man 2, Tony and Pepper are my favorite Marvel movie couple!! They're great and I wish we could get more Iron Man movies.

      Ah good luck with Camp NaNo! I hope you write a BUNCH! :D <3

      Delete