Thursday, May 30, 2019

[Manga Review] My Hero Academia Volumes 7-9 by Kohei Horikoshi









I recently watched the current available seasons of an anime titled My Hero Academia, a show  I have easily fallen in love with. It probably won't be until Autumn until the next season, so until then I want to try to read all of the manga that has been published and the chapters that haven't been bound yet into volumes. I plan on reviewing them in collections of three volumes (maybe five, but no more than that) so I don't have like twenty posts on My Hero Academia alone. Once I pass the volumes and I am forced to read the chapters on their own online I'll probably re-read and then review them once they are out in volumes. To avoid spoiling anyone, I am going to always have this opening in each post along with in future posts I'll have a link to previous reviews.


My Hero Academia Vol. 1-3 Review
My Hero Academia Vol. 4-6 Review 


My Hero Academia Vol. 7
Kohei Horikoshi 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I love seeing Deku and Todoroki working together. I think they are great partners because of their mutual respect for each other. However, to be completely honest I love seeing my four favorite boys (Deku, Bakugou, Todoroki, and Kirishima) working together in general. But seeing Deku and Todo working together in such a high stress and dangerous situation makes me really excited for what is in store for the future of this series. 

I hate the rule that non-licensed heroes cannot use their powers to defend themselves or other in moments of a crisis. I understand it to a certain point but without the help of Todo and Deku many people would have died. Including not only pro-heroes, but a fellow classmate. However, I will forever love the Hand Crusher moment. 

I loved seeing pieces of the other student's internships. The entire Bakugou/Jeanist/Hair thing gets me laughing every time. I also loved the quick mention of Asui's intense internship that the show actually made an entire episode for, which was absolutely the best choice. I love seeing the class altogether after such an intense section of the story. They're all happy to see each other and talk about their experiences and it's just super sweet and fun. 

 I find Bakugou and Deku's strained relationship so interesting and I am genuinely excited to see where it goes. I am up to date with the anime so I know some stuff but I am mostly excited to pass the manga volumes that the show has already done so I can learn more. 


My Hero Academia Vol. 8
Kohei Horikoshi 
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I know I've mentioned this in a previous review, but I love seeing this class work together. In this case they're coupled up in pairs and each pair is going against a teacher/pro. Seeing not only these characters I've fallen in love with work together and use their powers but getting to know the pros more is amazing. Plus, I really like that the relationship between certain pros/teachers and students are becoming more personal. Aizawa obviously loves these kids in a way he'd never admit to. 

Tomura Shigaraki's design in the manga is somehow even creepier to me than he is in the anime. Sure, he's still a whining child most of the time, but there is one page in particular where the entire panel is his face and it's jarring. 

I'm really sick of Mineta, it's so uncomfortable to read his weird obsession with harassing women. I know that sometimes animes and mangas can sometimes have themes that are borderline uncomfortable with the sexuality of women and their bodies. And although I'm not against talking about how women are freaking beautiful, Mineta often crosses lines and it is uncomfortable to read. Sure, the girls get pissed and Mineta gets basically called a perv, he's also a hero in training and apart of the gang. 


 My Hero Academia Vol. 9
Kohei Horikoshi 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I really like to see how specific training works for each student depending on their quirk. It's super interesting and makes me want to pull a full Deku and write my own notes about each student. It takes a lot of creativity to think of not only these amazing quirks but how their hero costumes help enhance their abilities. Which is why I find support students like Hatsume so interesting. 

Whoo, this is a tough one to read. It's exciting and action packed, absolutely, but to see what happens to the students and what they have to go through is a rough one to read. You become so attached to them and you only want their success and safety. However, it's easy to be proud of Class 1-A and Class 1-B. Especially since these villains are grown adults going after children and they're struggling. 

Seeing how selfless Deku is and what he would give in order to save someone else makes me love him so much. He's the epitome of a superhero, and I love him. 


This is my review for Volumes 7-9 of the My Hero Academia manga and I'm really enjoying my time getting through the story! I already have volumes 10-16 on my desk so get ready for those reviews to go up in the next couple weeks! 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment