Saturday, April 27, 2019

[Manga Review] My Hero Academia Vol. 4-6 by Kohei Horikoshi




I recently watched the current available seasons of an anime titled My Hero Academia, a show  I have easily fallen in love with. It probably won't be until Autumn until the next season, so until then I want to try to read all of the manga that has been published and the chapters that haven't been bound yet into volumes. I plan on reviewing them in collections of three volumes (maybe five, but no more than that) so I don't have like twenty posts on My Hero Academia alone. Once I pass the volumes and I am forced to read the chapters on their own online I'll probably re-read and then review them once they are out in volumes. To avoid spoiling anyone, I am going to always have this opening in each post along with in future posts I'll have a link to previous reviews.

My Hero Academia Vol. 1-3 Review 


  My Hero Academia Vol. 4
Kohei Horikoshi 
⭐⭐⭐⭐

I like the progression in which we are getting to know the characters more. Having them not only work together but also against each other shows their strengths and weaknesses. Along with getting to know their personalities more. The action scenes are still a bit hard to follow but I think having seen the anime it makes it easier to fill in the dots and piece everything together. It's not illegible or anything, the flow is just a little off.

Of course I am bummed to see some of my favorite characters fight each other, I love the spirit of it all. For the most part everyone is doing their absolute best, but after the fighting is done most of Class 1-A are good sports about it all. I think all these little pieces show each of the character's personalities a little more.

My Hero Academia Vol. 5
Kohei Horikoshi
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CW: parental abuse, domestic violence


 I like that we see that although Bakugou seems like a not great person at surface level, there are good aspects of him he keeps hidden, probably to protect himself. He puts a lot of value in honor, and we see that in this volume. To everyone else watching their fight, Bakugou is basically bullying Uraraka but he really respects her as an opponent and won't disrespect her skills and hard work by being easy on her. He sees her strength and doesn't go easy on her despite everyone thinking he should. I think it shows how perceptive Aizawa is as well, since he points it out to the angry crowd. 

Deku's need to help people despite the outcome for himself makes me an emotional wreck. What he does for Todoroki is so sweet even if it ended up being bad for him in the end. I also love his resilience and determination. The amount of pain he puts himself through to prove himself to not only the world but to All Might, himself, his classmates, etc is astounding. 

Also, small side note: I just want to hug Todoroki. He's been through so much and it makes sense why he is so standoffish with everyone. The way he was raised is really heartbreaking and I am excited to maybe see him open up more to his classmates. 

This may be my favorite volume so far. There are a lot of emotional and powerful moments along with the excitement of the last few battles. I am more of a character driven story type of reader and I am loving that we are getting to know the characters more. 

My Hero Academia Vol. 6
Kohei Horikoshi
⭐⭐⭐⭐

Because this story can get pretty intense I really love and appreciate the moments the story is lighthearted. Starting with Class 1-A playing around with choosing hero names was perfect after the intensity of volume 5. One thing I wish we got more of in both the anime and the manga is the internships arc. I would have loved to not only see Deku with Gran Torino more but also the other students of Class 1-A with their mentors. I know it would have taken a lot of time because there are so many students, I just think it's so much fun to see our favorite characters grow in their abilities with pro-heroes. 

Iida's need for revenge honestly makes my heart break, because it's easy to be sympathetic to what he's currently going through. He's thrown logic completely out of the window because of his obsession with revenge and it's hard to see because he's one of the most logical by the book characters I've ever read about. It's understandable, but also you want to just slap him and make him think properly. 

Another side note, also about Todoroki. He is so damn cool. He shows up with this quippy one liner and his power is so impressive it's hard not to love him. 

Thanks for reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment