Saturday, March 2, 2019

February 2019 Wrap-Up





February has ended so now it's time to reflect on my month! I will list my book reviews, other blog posts, movies, tv shows, life updates, music, and plans for the next month. I will of course link any reviews and anything non-bookish (which means I don't have a review) I will write a few sentences of my general thoughts! This is the year I plan on reading books I either on my shelves or on my kindle that I really need to get to. I also need to tackle finishing a lot of series I have started in the past.

Let's jump in!

* = favorite books of the month

Book Reviews

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer *
Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton 

Other Posts

Upcoming Releases I'm On the Fence About
My Favorite Literary Couples 
Books I Enjoyed With Less Than 2K Goodreads Reviews

Movies Watched

[Netflix] Incredibles 2 - THIS WAS SO GOOD I AM SO MAD I DIDN'T SEE IT IN THEATERS! I loved how it felt so similar to the first one but the animation was more modern to what Disney/Pixar has been doing. The story was so cute and I love the Parr family so much! I dare even say I enjoyed the sequel more than the first one. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

[Netflix] Abducted in Plain Sight - This was so infuriating. The subject matter, not the documentary itself. As a documentary/true crime type deal it was super interesting and overall incredibly messed up. Matt wanted to watch it because he had noticed people talking about how mad they got while watching it and yeah - this got us so wound up. ⭐⭐⭐⭐

[Netflix DVD] Ocean's Eight - This was a lot of fun! I never saw the originals but you really don't need to in order to watch this spin-off. I really enjoyed the girl gang that we were given but there were too many women and that made it hard to really get to know any of them. I think that as a heist movie it's a bit boring and things were resolved really easily. For me I didn't feel like there was much of a fear of them getting caught. Also: Anne Hathaway should have been apart of the heist from the beginning mostly because I love her with my whole heart. ⭐⭐⭐

[Hulu] Twilight - I re-read the book so of course I had to re-watch the movie and honestly it was a blast. I realized that wow they did change a lot of stuff I don't remember them changing and some of the decisions they made for the movie seemed to be unnecessary. I actually think I preferred the book, which is odd to me because  I always thought I preferred the movies. But it was still a good time and Kristen Stewart is one of the most gorgeous humans on this planet. ⭐⭐⭐

[Netflix] Heathers - I re-watched Heather's because I recently got more into Heather's: The Musical and I wanted to re-watch the movie. It's one of my favorite movies and I can re-watch it over and over again. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

[Netflix] Casting JonBonet -This was a really interesting documentary. I originally thought it was going to be more in depth of the case itself but instead we get this other perspective of the people who either lived in the neighborhood where it happened or were more closely affected by the case than your average person. I found it interesting but at times a little boring. ⭐⭐.5

[Netflix] Barely Lethal - This is SUCH a good movie and people are completely sleeping on it. Hailee Steinfeld is such a cutie and a really good actress! I think if you're in the mood for a feel good family movie this is a good one! ⭐⭐⭐⭐

[Netflix] Sydney White - I watched this a long time ago (around the time it was released on DVD) and Matt had never seen it before so we watched it for fun. I wasn't sure if it was going to age well in terms of like bad jokes or something. I don't remember noticing any jarring problematic jokes or anything like that so that was a pleasant surprise and it was a fun cheesy movie to watch with Matt. ⭐⭐⭐

TV Shows Watched (Finished)

[Hulu] Finding Carter (Seasons 1-2) -This was a fun show to watch after finishing Switched At Birth but I really disliked so much of season two. I understand why it got cancelled because season two was rough. It's a bummer because I really loved the premise and the first season.  ⭐⭐⭐

Currently Watching

[Netflix] Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Finished Seasons 1-3) - Matt and I have officially started the INCREDIBLY popular Brooklyn 99 and WE ARE LOVING IT! Oh.My.God. why did I wait so long to watch this show wtf. I have always been pretty meh about Andy Samberg but now I love him and his character. This show's cast of characters is my favorite and I cannot wait to continue this show.

[Hulu] The Bachelor - I have said this before, but I watch The Bachelor and the Bachelorette now mostly so I am all caught up for Bachelor in Paradise, but  I've been enjoying this season. I started off being not a huge fan of Colton but I don't mind him much anymore. We are slowly coming to the end so I hope Paradise doesn't take too long!

Music Videos & Music I've Enjoyed

[Music Video] Bury A Friend by Billie Eilish - This is such a creepy and great music video! Also I love the song!! Billie is such an amazing artist and I cannot wait for her album to drop.

[Music Video] Harry by Kelsey Karter - At first when I heard the story of Kelsey getting Harry Styles's face tattooed on her face I was a bit like nooope no thanks. But then I listened to her song and I thought it was really catchy. When it turned out the tattoo wasn't real (which I hoped was the case, but you never know with people) I honestly thought it was a pretty genius way to get your music out there. And I ended up checking out some of the other music she had out and I ended up liking another song!

[Music Video] Catch Me If You Can by Kelsey Karter - This music video and the song are so fun and catchy. I cannot wait to see what else Kelsey Karter puts out because I really love her voice.


Movie Trailers That Have Me Pumped

[Trailer] Frozen 2 - I AM SO EXCITED! I love Frozen so much. I understand the parents who are maybe sick of this movie because it was the movie kids wanted to (maybe still do? I wouldn't know) watch on repeat. But the amount of hate this movie got over the years basically for being popular is annoying. I am so excited for the second one and  I hope it is just as good if not better.

[Trailer] The Haunting of Bly Manor -There isn't much information on this and we still have a long time till it comes out but I am excited. I loved Haunting of Hill House.

[Trailer] The Sun Is Also A Star - I unfortunately DNFed this book but I am still really excited for the movie. My biggest problem with the book was the writing style so I am assuming that isn't going to be a problem with the movie. It looks so good!

[Trailer] Dark Phoenix - For some reason this movie/trailer has been getting hate and I DON'T CARE what people say I am so incredibly excited!! I love the X-Men so much and I really love this cast of characters and the actors/actresses that play them. This trailer has me so hyped.


Random Favorites

Learning Calligraphy - Matt recently got me a workbook so I can learn calligraphy! I am not the BEST at it yet but I've definitely improved already! I have been having so much fun practicing and I hope I keep improving.

Heather's The Musical (both US & UK versions) - Like I said earlier, I recently got more into the cast album for Heather's The Musical. The UK/West End cast album will be out March 1st and  I am so excited for it!

TikTok - I downloaded TikTok for fun to see what it's all about and it's been a lot of fun! I unironically kind of love it and I don't think it deserves to have such a bad rep. Sure, it's got cringey videos but similar to Vine, you have to get through some of the cringey/bad videos to find the really good ones! It is so similar to Vine so if you liked Vine you'll probably like TikTok!

Books DNFed

The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory - I got over 60 pages into this one and I really disliked the writing style. The romance plot was way too over the top and I didn't like the writing style. It was overall too cringe-y.

The Sun Is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon - This is another one where I didn't like the characters or the writing style. Maybe I was just tired of reading romance books but I really couldn't get into this one. I was close to 100 pages before I tapped out.

Life Updates

Normally every February since I started blogging (so since 2016) I try reading romance books and every year I have failed pretty horribly. I pick books I hear are good despite not really being interested and then end up hating them. This year I decided to look for romance books not only were reviewed pretty highly but I was actually interested in the content and it went better but not great. I didn't go below 3 stars in any of my ratings, so it was really good but I didn't go above 4 stars either.  I enjoyed the books I read but I am a little disappointed I didn't find a book that was like the 5 star romance book I've been looking for.


Other than reading, like I said above I have been teaching myself calligraphy and wasting my time on TikTok, so my month went okay. I've been sick the last weekish or so and with the last two books I picked up being books I DNFed I am struggling. So I am hoping I can get back on the reading horse and continue knocking out the books I own. Especially since I won five books in a giveaway (right stack in the photo above) and my fiancé bought me four books (left stack in the photo above) for Valentine's Day. So now I really have to get my crap together.


March TBR

My TBR for March is to read some of the books that I have acquired over the last few weeks, continue my Twilight re-read, and see what else I am in the mood for. I also have my copy of The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon, which I am SO excited for because it looks epic. And I believe I am buddy reading The Time Traveler's Wife with Erica Robyn Reads at some point! The books below are some I definitely plan to pick up in March!


Small Town Hearts
Lillie Vale

This book comes out March 19th and I want to read and review it before then!  It'll probably be one of the first books I read for the month. The author sent e-book versions of the book to different bisexual reviewers/readers and I was lucky to be one of them! There is bisexual rep in the story and the author herself is bisexual so it's an ownvoices novel! I am so excited it sounds like such a sweet story!

The Last of August 
Brittany Cavallaro 
Amazon | Goodreads 

I need to re-read the first book before reading this one but  I am so excited!! I loved the first one, but I don't remember everything that happened so I am going to get a quick refresher and then start this one! 

Damsel
Elana K. Arnold

I don't have too much to say about this one! I am going in mostly blind other than what is on the inside flap of the book. I am really excited to read it because I hear amazing things! 


That's my February Wrap-Up!! How was your month? I'd love to know some of the books you loved or maybe some you're looking forward to in March. 



Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD YAY YOU STARTED B99!! I am so so so so so happy to hear you're loving it!! isn't it just incredible??!! And the characters??!! That cast is magnificent.

    Can't wait to hear what you think of Damsel!

    I'm so impressed to hear about the calligraphy. I really want to learn that.

    Have a great March, Heather! I hope you manage to get on top of your reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M REALLY LOVING IT! I think my favorite characters are Terry, Rosa, and the Captain

      I am so excited for Damsel!!

      It's been a lot of fun to learn! I've already started running out of ink from the brush pens I got so I'll have to get more soon but it's been so fun.

      Thank you! I hope your March reads are all five star reads!! :D

      Delete