Tuesday, February 5, 2019

[Top Ten Tuesday] Upcoming Releases I'm On The Fence About





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about ten books that have releases this year that I am on the fence about when it comes to picking them up. The biggest reasons I am most on the fence about most of these books are that I either haven't seen many people talk about them or the reviews are so mixed I am not sure where I will fall in terms of enjoying the book.

Let's jump right into my list!


99 Percent Mine
Sally Thorne

The reason why I am on the fence about this one is because I recently read Thorne's incredibly popular debut novel The Hating Game (review here) and although I enjoyed the romance aspect of the story there were a lot of instances of problematic language. I am hoping this has all the great parts of her romance writing skills without the body shaming, making fun of disabilities, and making fun of suicide that The Hating Game has. 

Synopsis
Crush: a strong and often short-lived infatuation, particularly for someone beyond your reach…

Darcy Barrett has undertaken a global survey of men. She’s travelled the world, and can categorically say that no one measures up to Tom Valeska, whose only flaw is that Darcy’s twin brother Jamie saw him first and claimed him forever as his best friend. Despite Darcy’s best efforts, Tom’s off limits and loyal to her brother, 99%. That’s the problem with finding her dream man at age eight and peaking in her photography career at age twenty—ever since, she’s had to learn to settle for good enough.

When Darcy and Jamie inherit a tumble-down cottage from their grandmother, they’re left with strict instructions to bring it back to its former glory and sell the property. Darcy plans to be in an aisle seat halfway across the ocean as soon as the renovations start, but before she can cut and run, she finds a familiar face on her porch: house-flipper extraordinaire Tom’s arrived, he’s bearing power tools, and he’s single for the first time in almost a decade.

Suddenly Darcy’s considering sticking around to make sure her twin doesn’t ruin the cottage’s inherent magic with his penchant for grey and chrome. She’s definitely not staying because of her new business partner’s tight t-shirts, or that perfect face that's inspiring her to pick up her camera again. Soon sparks are flying—and it’s not the faulty wiring. It turns out one percent of Tom’s heart might not be enough for Darcy anymore. This time around, she’s switching things up. She’s going to make Tom Valeska 99 percent hers.


Again, but Better
Christine Riccio 

The reason why I am unsure about this book isn't because Christine is a known popular BookTuber, but because I am not sure how interested I am in the story's summary. Christine is definitely a BookTuber I have enjoyed watching and I want to support her but the story seems...plain? I am hoping that the story is more exciting. 

Synopsis
Shane has been doing college all wrong. Pre-med, stellar grades, and happy parents...sounds ideal -- but Shane's made zero friends, goes home every weekend, and romance...what's that?

Her life has been dorm, dining hall, class, repeat. Time's a ticking, and she needs a change -- there's nothing like moving to a new country to really mix things up. Shane signs up for a semester abroad in London. She's going to right all her college mistakes: make friends, pursue boys, and find adventure!

Easier said than done. She is soon faced with the complicated realities of living outside her bubble, and when self-doubt sneaks in, her new life starts to fall apart.

Shane comes to find that, with the right amount of courage and determination one can conquer anything. Throw in some fate and a touch of magic - the possibilities are endless.


 Nexus 
Sasha Alsberg & Lindsay Cummings

If you're in the book community on Twitter or BookTube it's known that the first book in this series (duology? I am not sure) didn't get good reviews as a whole. I even read it and also gave it a low rating (review here). However, in my review I did say that with some editing and more work on the book it could have been a fun space opera. So although I am on the fence when it comes to the book and I will definitely keep my eyes out for the reviews, I do plan on one day giving this book and these authors a second chance. 

Synopsis
Her ship is gone, her crew is captured and notorious mercenary Androma Racella is no longer the powerful Bloody Baroness, but a fugitive ruthlessly hunted across the Mirabel Galaxy. The bloodthirsty Queen Nor now rules most of the galaxy through a mind-control toxin and she’ll stop at nothing to destroy her most hated adversary.

Andi will risk anything, even her precious freedom, to find a cure. Stranded with her unlikely ally, Dex, on the unforgiving ice planet of Solera, their plan to infiltrate a black-market city proves dangerously irresistible.

Back in Arcardius, Nor’s actions have opened Mirabel to invasion. As Andi’s crew fights to regain their freedom, Andi and Dex discover a threat far greater than anything they’ve faced before.

Only by saving their mortal enemy can the crew of the Marauder make one last desperate strike to save the galaxy—unaware that a shattering, centuries-old secret may demand the most wrenching sacrifice of all.


 Wicked Fox
Kat Cho

I think the synopsis for this book sounds so good, but I haven't heard anyone talking about it. I hope if this book is as good as I hope it is that it gets more hype! Also, I love this cover so much.

Synopsis
A fresh and addictive fantasy-romance set in modern-day Seoul.

No one in modern-day Seoul believes in the old fables anymore, which makes it the perfect place for Gu Miyoung and her mother to hide in plain sight. Miyoung is a Gumiho, a nine-tailed fox, who must eat the souls of men to survive. She feeds every full moon—eating the souls of men who have committed crimes, but have evaded justice. Her life is upended when she kills a dokkaebi, a murderous goblin, in the forest just to save the life of a human boy. But after Miyoung saves Jihoon's life, the two develop a tenuous friendship that blooms into romance forcing Miyoung to choose between her immortal life and Jihoon's.


Beware the Night
Jessika Fleck

This look so so good but I haven't seen anyone in the book community talking about it. From what I can see when it comes to the reviews people either hate it or love it, so I am interested to see where I fall whenever I read it. 

Synopsis
When her world divides, pitting light against dark, Veda must join a dangerous revolution to save her grandfather and fight against injustice...even if it costs her the boy she loves.

On the island of Bellona, life is peaceful--as long as the citizens dutifully worship the Sun, which protects them from all harm. Seventeen-year-old Veda knows that keeping the Sun happy will protect her and her grandfather from the Night, the dangerous people who snatch innocent citizens from their beds under the cover of darkness, never to be seen again. As long as Veda follows the rules, she will be safe.

But when Veda's grandfather is offered up as the next sacrificial offering to keep the Sun's favor, she starts to see that the safety she's been promised comes at a dangerous price. Maybe there is more to fear above than there is below.

With a mysterious young man, Dorian, at her side, Veda has to figure out if the scary bedtime stories she grew up hearing are real--or dangerous lies.


Lovely War
Julie Berry

This looks so pretty. I read the synopsis and immediately was like "this sounds so pretty I need to read it" and immediately put it on my TBR. It is a romance, historical fiction, and I don't know anyone else who has read it. All three of those makes me a little nervous because I don't have a good history with romance/historical fiction and have a handful of reviewers I trust when it comes to me deciding if I should put my time and effort into a book. But I don't think I can pass this one up and not try it.

Synopsis
A sweeping, multi-layered romance with a divine twist, by the Printz Honor-winning author of The Passion of Dolssa, set in the perilous days of World Wars I and II.

It's 1917, and World War I is at its zenith when Hazel and James first catch sight of each other at a London party. She's a shy and talented pianist; he's a newly minted soldier with dreams of becoming an architect. When they fall in love, it's immediate and deep--and cut short when James is shipped off to the killing fields.

Aubrey Edwards is also headed toward the trenches. A gifted musician who's played Carnegie Hall, he's a member of the 15th New York Infantry, an all-African-American regiment being sent to Europe to help end the Great War. Love is the last thing on his mind. But that's before he meets Colette Fournier, a Belgian chanteuse who's already survived unspeakable tragedy at the hands of the Germans.

Thirty years after these four lovers' fates collide, the Greek goddess Aphrodite tells their stories to her husband, Hephaestus, and her lover, Ares, in a luxe Manhattan hotel room at the height of World War II. She seeks to answer the age-old question: Why are Love and War eternally drawn to one another? But her quest for a conclusion that will satisfy her jealous husband uncovers a multi-threaded tale of prejudice, trauma, and music and reveals that War is no match for the power of Love.
 Killing November
Adriana Mather

When I read this synopsis I was pretty interested but when I saw how many high ratings there were it had me even more interested. It looks like it could be a really good suspense mystery.  However, I do not read a lot of mysteries and most of the time I am not a fan by the end, so that is the reason I am on the fence. 

Synopsis
It’s a school completely off the grid, hidden by dense forest and surrounded by traps. There’s no electricity, no internet, and an eye-for-an-eye punishment system. Classes include everything from Knife-Throwing and Poisons to the Art of Deception and Historical Analysis. And all of the students are children of the world’s most elite strategists—training to become assassins, counselors, spies, and master impersonators. Into this world walks November Adley, who quickly discovers that friends are few in a school where personal revelations are discouraged and competition is everything. When another student is murdered, all eyes turn to November, who must figure out exactly how she fits into the school’s bizarre strategy games before she is found guilty of the crime…or becomes the killer’s next victim.


 How to Make Friends with the Dark
Kathleen Glasgow

I am on the fence with this one because I have a feeling it's going to break my heart. I don't love reading books revolved around grief and death. I have to be in the right mind for it because I have a lot of anxiety around it. But I have been hearing good things about this one so I am tentatively putting it on my TBR.

Synopsis
Here is what happens when your mother dies.

It’s the brightest day of summer and it’s dark outside. It’s dark in your house, dark in your room, and dark in your heart. You feel like the darkness is going to split you apart.

That’s how it feels for Tiger. It’s always been Tiger and her mother against the world. Then, on a day like any other, Tiger’s mother dies. And now it’s Tiger, alone.

Here is how you learn to make friends with the dark.


 We Walked the Sky
Lisa Fiedler

I think this sounds absolutely gorgeous. When I checked the goodreads reviews I noticed that it only had two, which makes me want to get my hands on a copy even more. But like How to Make Friends with the Dark, it may break my heart so I am going to need to be prepared. And like Lovely War, it seems to be set a while before my time, and I don't always do well with historical fiction.

Synopsis
 A stunning, multigenerational story about two teenagers: Victoria, who joins the circus in 1965, and her granddaughter, Callie, who leaves the circus fifty years later. Perfect for fans of This is Us.

In 1965 seventeen-year-old Victoria, having just escaped an unstable home, flees to the ultimate place for dreamers and runaways--the circus. Specifically, the VanDrexel Family Circus where, among the lion tamers, roustabouts, and trapeze artists, Victoria hopes to start a better life.

Fifty years later, Victoria's sixteen-year-old granddaughter Callie is thriving. A gifted and focused tightrope walker with dreams of being a VanDrexel high wire legend just like her grandmother, Callie can't imagine herself anywhere but the circus. But when Callie's mother accepts her dream job at an animal sanctuary in Florida just months after Victoria's death, Callie is forced to leave her lifelong home behind.

Feeling unmoored and out of her element, Callie pores over memorabilia from her family's days on the road, including a box that belonged to Victoria when she was Callie's age. In the box, Callie finds notes that Victoria wrote to herself with tips and tricks for navigating her new world. Inspired by this piece of her grandmother's life, Callie decides to use Victoria's circus prowess to navigate the uncharted waters of public high school.

Across generations, Victoria and Callie embrace the challenges of starting over, letting go, and finding new families in unexpected places.


 Tarot
Marissa Kennerson
Amazon | Goodreads 

I stumbled on this book randomly and honestly although the cover seems to be getting criticism I don't hate it. I love the colors and it pulled me in. And now after reading the synopsis I am even more interested in this book. 

Synopsis
Anna was never supposed to exist. Born of a forbidden union between the Queen and the tyrannical King’s archnemesis, Anna is forced to live out her days isolated in the Tower, with only her mentors and friends the Hermit, the Fool, and the Magician to keep her company. To pass the time, Anna imagines unique worlds populated by creatives and dreamers—the exact opposite of the King’s land of fixed fates and rigid rules—and weaves them into four glorious tapestries.

But on the eve of her sixteenth birthday and her promised release from the Tower, Anna discovers her true lineage: She’s the daughter of Marco, a powerful magician, and the King is worried that his magical gifts are starting to surface in Anna. Fearing for her life, Anna flees the Tower and finds herself in Cups, a lush, tropical land full of all the adventure, free-spiritedness, and creativity she imagined while weaving.

Anna thinks she’s found paradise in this world of beachside parties, endless food and drink, and exhilarating romance. But when the fabric of Cups begins to unravel, Anna discovers that her tapestries are more than just decoration. They’re the foundation for a new world that she is destined to create—as long as the terrors from the old world don’t catch up with her first.



Thanks for reading!

What upcoming releases are you on the fence about?


12 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by Again, But Better. I hope it's worth the read. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of people listing Christine's book. I'm way of it but I'm hoping for the best. I really want to read Tarot but it's so short - I hope there is enough time to flesh out the story well.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't notice how short Tarot was!! I agree I hope there is enough time to flesh everything out. Especially with it seemingly being a stand alone. I hope we both end up enjoying it!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Right!? The Wicked Fox looks so good. I'll check out your post now :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I've seen Again, But Better on a lot of lists this week as well.

    This is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to support Christine, but the premise for me seems a bit bland. I will probably request it from the library at some point and give it a shot!

      Delete
  5. I have Again, But Better on my TBR. Wondering whether I should indulge or not now!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I like Christine a lot and I want to support her but I am unsure about the book honestly. I will probably give it a chance sooner or later maybe once the first wave of reviews come in.

      I will check out yours now! <3 thank you for stopping by mine!

      Delete
  6. I love the cover of The Wicked Fox too. It went onto my TBR just from the cover alone, LOL. Hopefully the book will live up to its cover.

    ReplyDelete