Thursday, July 26, 2018

BookTube-A-Thon 2018 TBR




BookTube-A-Thon is a week long read-a-thon created by Ariel Bissett, a BookTuber, that encourages the book community to get together and focus solely on reading for the week. This is a great way to either get through some smaller books you've had on your TBR for way too long or maybe get the courage to pick up one of those books that you've been too intimidated to pick up.

Although not a requirement to join in the reading fun, there are seven challenges each year to help readers pick what books they'll be reading. I will link the official BookTube-A-Thon Youtube Here if you need any more information about the read-a-thon or any of the video challenges. Because I am not on YouTube, I'll be focusing only on the reading challenges but there will also be Instagram challenges I am incredibly excited about and I hope to participate in some of those as they're announced.

I have participated in the BookTube-A-Thon each year and every year I feel completely burnt out from reading by the end of the week. So I am hoping to pace myself better. I am also hoping to only read books that are readily accessible to me, because last year I was a bit reliant on some books from the library and some didn't arrive on time. Which got stressful.  I really don't want to push myself into a reading slump by the end of the week. I love participating but I don't like the way I feel at the end of the read-a-thon. Almost all of the books I've chosen are either short or middle grade (or both) but books I've wanted to read a while and now I have the opportunity to read them!



Above are the seven books I plan on reading in the week of the BookTube-A-Thon (July 30-August 5) and I am really excited for them for different reasons. Which I explain below about each individual book. 

Okay! Onto the seven challenges!

1. Let a coin toss decide your first read.


 Orange: Future by Ichigo Takano

 I absolutely loved Orange Volume 1 and Orange Volume 2 so I am excited that my first book of this read-a-thon will be the conclusion of the story. This story is super important to me, but I am worried because I haven't heard amazing things about Future. However, it's a short read and I know I'll get through it quickly. I will put the short synopsis below but then also the synopsis for Volume One for anyone who hasn't read it. I also have two reviews of volume one and two linked above.

Synopsis:
In this long-awaited sequel to the critical and commercial hit, orange: future contains two stories that continue from where the series ended.

On the day that Naho begins 11th grade, she receives a letter from herself ten years in the future. At first, she writes it off as a prank, but as the letter’s predictions come true one by one, Naho realizes that the letter might be the real deal. Her future self tells Naho that a new transfer student, a boy named Kakeru, will soon join her class. The letter begs Naho to watch over him, saying that only Naho can save Kakeru from a terrible future. Who is this mystery boy, and can Naho save him from his destiny? This is the heart-wrenching sci-fi romance that has over million copies in print in Japan!


2. Read a book about something you want to do.


 Disney After Dark (Kingdom Keepers #1) by Ridley Pearson

 I have always wanted to go to Disney (world or land, honestly I am not picky - do you have a favorite?) but I never have been able to because of money and just the fact that I hate warm weather. This book is all about kids who work at Disney and a villain team is built?! I am not sure exactly what will happen but I am pumped for it! It's a middle grade book and it has awesome illustrations so I think I can get through it fairly quickly.

Synopsis
In this fantastical novel, Disney's Magic Kingdom suddenly becomes a bit eerie. Finn Whitman and four other teens have been hired as Disney World guides, but with an odd twist: With cutting-edge technology, they have been transformed into hologram projections capable of leading guests around the park. What begins as an exciting theme park job turns into a virtual nightmare as Finn and his pals attempt to thwart an uprising by a menacing group of Disney villains.

3. Read and watch a book to movie adaptation.


Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

I read these books in high school and loved them but it's been a while. So I thought why not re-read them so I can get reviews of them up. I am excited to read them and then watch the movies after, I don't think I've done that. I know they're not amazing adaptations but I have always found them fun. I am really excited for the Hulu show that is being made!!

Synopsis
This is the story of Louis, as told in his own words, of his journey through mortal and immortal life. Louis recounts how he became a vampire at the hands of the radiant and sinister Lestat and how he became indoctrinated, unwillingly, into the vampire way of life. His story ebbs and flows through the streets of New Orleans, defining crucial moments such as his discovery of the exquisite lost young child Claudia, wanting not to hurt but to comfort her with the last breaths of humanity he has inside. Yet, he makes Claudia a vampire, trapping her womanly passion, will, and intelligence inside the body of a small child. Louis and Claudia form a seemingly unbreakable alliance and even "settle down" for a while in the opulent French Quarter. Louis remembers Claudia's struggle to understand herself and the hatred they both have for Lestat that sends them halfway across the world to seek others of their kind. Louis and Claudia are desperate to find somewhere they belong, to find others who understand, and someone who knows what and why they are.

Louis and Claudia travel Europe, eventually coming to Paris and the ragingly successful Theatre des Vampires - a theatre of vampires pretending to be mortals pretending to be vampires. Here they meet the magnetic and ethereal Armand, who brings them into a whole society of vampires. But Louis and Claudia find that finding others like themselves provides no easy answers and in fact presents dangers they scarcely imagined.


4. Read a book with green on the cover.


Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

It's been a while since I've read this story, despite it being one of my favorites.  I may also listen to my audiobook (narrated by Lily Collins) while reading since I love the audiobook. This is going to be a fairly easy one to get through and I am really excited to finally have a review up for one of my favorite stories. 

Synopsis:
Neverland is home to Peter Pan, a young boy who has never grown up. On one of his visits to London, Peter makes the acquaintance of young Wendy Darling, whom he invites to travel with him to Neverland and become the mother of his gang of Lost Boys. Flying through the night sky to Neverland, Wendy and her brothers are soon caught up in adventures.


5. Read a book while wearing the same hat the whole time.


Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

I read this book ages ago and loved it, but I don't remember a lot because it's been so long. I am really excited to read it because the creator is making the new She-Ra show and it looks gorgeous. I love Noelle Stevenson and her art (she did a lot of the original LumberJanes art, but I am not sure if she still does) and I have always wanted more of her so I am happy that she has such a big gig.

I actually bought a hat specifically for this because I didn't have a comfortable one I could wear in the summer (I am a beanie kind of girl, but most of mine are incredibly thick to keep me warm during cold winter days). So I got this cute Harry Potter baseball cap that I'm actually wearing in this photo here.

Synopsis:
The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.


6. Read a book with a beautiful spine.


The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill

I couldn't find a photo of the spine but my photo at the top of this post kind of shows it I have another post on Instagram that also shows the spine (which I will link you to that photo here.) It's a book haul from February when I was showing off the books my amazing fiancé got me for Valentine's Day. I have been holding this gorgeous book off for far too long so I am excited to finally love this story the way so many people have.

Synopsis
Every year, the people of the Protectorate leave a baby as an offering to the witch who lives in the forest. They hope this sacrifice will keep her from terrorizing their town. But the witch in the forest, Xan, is kind and gentle. She shares her home with a wise Swamp Monster named Glerk and a Perfectly Tiny Dragon, Fyrian. Xan rescues the abandoned children and delivers them to welcoming families on the other side of the forest, nourishing the babies with starlight on the journey.

One year, Xan accidentally feeds a baby moonlight instead of starlight, filling the ordinary child with extraordinary magic. Xan decides she must raise this enmagicked girl, whom she calls Luna, as her own. To keep young Luna safe from her own unwieldy power, Xan locks her magic deep inside her. When Luna approaches her thirteenth birthday, her magic begins to emerge on schedule -- but Xan is far away. Meanwhile, a young man from the Protectorate is determined to free his people by killing the witch. Soon, it is up to Luna to protect those who have protected her -- even if it means the end of the loving, safe world she’s always known.



7. Read Seven Books.


Sadie by Courtney Summers

I received this book as an ARC and I am so excited to read it! It comes out September 4, 2018. I love this cover. I think this is going to be fairly quick read because it gives off this fast paced mystery that I am really excited to get caught up in.

Synopsis
A gripping novel about the depth of a sister's love; poised to be the next book you won't be able to stop talking about.

A missing girl on a journey of revenge and a Serial-like podcast following the clues she's left behind.

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. Sadie is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page.


***

I do have some books lined up as back up if I am not feeling a particular book. I tend to be weird with strict TBRs and I don't want to slow down my reading if I am not vibing a particular book. Some of those books being: I'd love to re-read Reign of the Fallen by Sarah Glenn Marsh again or even read Toil & Trouble which is an anthology edited by Tess Sharpe, I have the ARC and really want to get it read. So there's a chance I may start it and see if I can possibly read a couple stories a day. There are sixteen stories so I can easily read a few each night for the week and have it done.

I also plan to review each book and have it up in that week or early the following week. Which is a bit ambitious but I haven't been behind on book reviews before and I don't want to start now. Wish me luck!

Will you be participating? Link me to your videos or blog posts so I can check out your TBR! Also if you want a reading friend to keep you motivated you're welcome to message me on social media (Twitter and Instagram)! Good luck and happy reading!

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment