Thursday, November 1, 2018

October Wrap-Up





This is my monthly post where I talk about how the month went for me when it came to reading and some events that maybe sparked me to read more (or stopped me from reading as much as I wanted to). I also link all the reviews I did in the month, update any reading challenges I've signed up for, discuss my plans for the following month, non-book things I've enjoyed, and give updates of my life. This year I have decided that I am not making a big deal on how many books I read or letting myself feel any guilt for the amount I didn't read. I am just going to read what sounds good in the moment without any guilt or pressure. I hope everyone has had a fantastic reading month and that next month goes even better!  Let's jump into how September went for me!

* * *
* = favorites of the month

Book Reviews

Hunting Prince Dracula by Kerri Maniscalco
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Vol. 1: The Crucible
The Dreadful Tale of  Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken *
The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw
Coraline by Neil Gaiman *
The Archived by Victoria Schwab *
Gmorning, Gnight: Little Pep Talks for Me and You by Lin-Manuel Miranda & Jonny Sun *
Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo *
Vox by Christina Dalcher
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Other Posts

Authors I'd Love To Meet
Autumn Book Tag
Bookstores I Want to Visit
The Birthday Book Tag
The Most Notable Book Villains
The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag
Favorite Spooky Stories October 2018

Movies/TV Shows (Finished)

Perfect Blue - This is an anime movie I hadn't heard of until Matt brought it to my attention. This movie is such an odd experience. You honestly kind of don't know what is happening and what is real until the very end and it's a bit of a mind fuck. I really enjoyed it, but I am not always the biggest fan of being completely confused like that for so long. It made me feel like I was constantly missing something, and then it all comes together makes sense. 4 Stars
The Boy - We kind of decided to watch this on a whim because it seemed like a weird but maybe spooky movie. It was actually really good and we were really liking it all up until the ending. They honestly dropped the ball on the story and went the easy way, which was a real bummer because we thought it had a lot of great moments. 3.5 Stars
Firestarter - I watched this a few times when I was younger and absolutely loved it but it had been a while. And Matt had only read the book. It really holds up as a great movie and it's still a favorite of mine. It makes me want to read the book, which I own. 4.5  Stars
The Skeleton Key -This is another one I had watched before but it had been some time. It was one of the first horror movies I watched where I was so mind fucked that I thought, huh, maybe I like horror movies after all. I've never been a huge fan of super gory over the top movies (but I do have a few I enjoy) but the more suspenseful, thriller type of movies definitely get me. I love this movie. 5/5 Stars
Trick 'r' Treat - This is one I had watched once before, but I remembered almost nothing about it. And once again, I loved it. I think it was really fun and spooky and I enjoyed how all of the stories intertwined with each other. I cannot wait for there to be a second one! 4.5 Stars
Halloweentown - This is just a classic Halloween movie. It's one of my favorites. Disney Channel's YouTube channel was playing all of the Halloweentown movies on a loop over the course of the entire holiday so I watched the first two and some of the third. I love the first one (and second, but more on that in a moment) so dang much. 5 Stars
Halloweentown 2 - This is such an amazing sequel and I honestly cannot tell you which one I prefer between the two. I love that they have all grown up so much in this one. I love that Marnie has improved so much as a witch and I really enjoyed the plot with this one. 5 Stars
The Nightmare Before Christmas -Another Halloween classic. We will probably watch this again closer to Christmas. It's a Halloween movie for me, and a Christmas movie for Matt so we just get the best of both worlds and watch it twice or more each year. 5 Stars
Bad Moon - This is such a cute story about a dog who has to protect his family from a werewolf. It's essentially a horror movie version of Beethoven It's pretty cute and although it isn't too scary it's suspenseful. 3 Stars
Halloween - It's a tradition for Matt and I to at least watch the first Halloween movie because we watched it on our first Halloween together, five days before we became an official couple. Sappy, I know. But it's a tradition I love keeping up because the movie is great but it also reminds me of how little we were. 4 Stars
The Haunting of Hill House - If you have been on social media for even a moment you've probably seen people talking about this show! It is certainly worth the hype! We sped through it as fast as we could and it's so haunting. It absolutely broke my heart. If you're worried it's too scary for you, the first few episodes are heavy on jump scares but that pretty much dies out for the most part because the story becomes more prominent. I think it's worth it, and honestly as long as you make sure your volume isn't super high it isn't as scary as it seems. 5 Stars

Currently Watching

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - We are close to finishing this one! Two episodes left I believe. I am really enjoying this show. Way more than the comic, which I mostly didn't like at all. I am so sad it's almost over and I cannot wait for there to be a second season.
Supergirl - We are still getting through Supergirl! We took a break because of all the spooky stuff we wanted to watch. I am excited to get back to it.
Adventure Time - Adventure Time has been our short show that we watch  in the mornings before Matt has to go to work. We are slowly getting through it. I believe we are on season 6!
Dancing With the Stars - We are a bit behind on this show, I have been enjoying it okay but not as much as normal. I think it's just because we have been so preoccupied with everything else. We definitely have some catching up to do.

Music

Monster & Monster Reborn by Gabbie Hanna (Music Video) - Both the songs and the music videos for them are so dang good. I do want to give a quick content warning for suicide. However, I think it's really well done and I haven't been able to get Monster out of my head since it's release.
Spooky Guy by Young Face (Music Video) - This is the sequel to Danny Gonzales's song he released last year Spooky Boy. I'll link both the music videos. They are hilarious perfect Halloween bops that are to be taken as a joke but honestly are so much fun. I was really excited that he did another.

Life Updates

October is my favorite month, so we did a lot of great things this month. First, we have dogsit my parent's dogs twice this month (we actually have them now) and it's always a good time to have them around. On the 14th Matt, Rolo, and I got family photos taken with all the autumn trees and they're gorgeous. I may make a post with all my favorites, like I did for our engagement photo shoot. Also, my birthday was on the 21st. We went on a picnic and took photos and it was really nice. Next week we plan on visiting a few bookstores to celebrate my birthday and our ninth anniversary, which is November 5th. October was a really great month. 

November  Plans

It's finally time for NaNoWriMo, so I am definitely participating this year! I have a skeleton of a story and everything! I am really writing by the seat of my pants this year even if I told myself I'd be more prepared (ha!). But I am really excited. I may do NaNoWriMo updates every week or two weeks, I am not sure just yet. If you are interested in my updates or even being writing buddies come message me on Instagram!

For reading, I am hoping to get through the rest of the books of the Throne of Glass books. I also have a few books on Scribd I have my eyes on and I need to finally read Vengeful, which has been staring at me and I need to finally just freaking read it already. I also want to finish the Grishaverse trilogy, I am just waiting for them to be available at my library.


Thanks for reading!



2 comments: