Monday, October 29, 2018

The Nightmare Before Christmas Book Tag




Only a few more days until Halloween! The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my top three favorite Halloween (& Christmas, let's be real) movies. This tag was created by The Butterfly Reader and I'll link her post right here! I recommend checking out her answers. I was introduced to this tag by Erica Robyn Reads, who I will also link her post right here. I am really happy Erica ended up doing this tag because I remember us in high school going to the Halloween parties that my mom would sometimes run for the entire town we lived in (a small island on the coast of Maine) and I felt super nostalgic when I was reading her answers.

So, let's stop being sappy and jump into the questions!



Jack: A book with a character who longs for more.
Catherine from Heartless by Marissa Meyer 

Catherine wants to open a bakery, she doesn't care about the traditions and path her parents hold so much value in, which makes it hard to her to be herself. She bakes in secret, allowing herself small moments of creativity in between the structure her parents and society force her into.
 
 Sally: A book with a character who loves someone so much and actually gets them in the end.
Ron & Hermione from the Harry Potter series

I think this question could be in spoiler-y territory so I decided to go for a more generic answer, since Harry Potter has been out for so long. Despite a lot of hate towards Ron, I really love him and Hermione together. I like that they kind of went from bickering (not hate, because I don't think they ever hated each other) to a crush, to love. I think it was natural and sweet.

Zero: A book with a loyal sidekick.
 Thomas Cresswell from the Stalking Jack the Ripper series by Kerri Maniscalco

I am not the biggest fan of this series as a whole. I am a bit lukewarm overall, however, I really like the friendship/relationship between the main character, Audrey Rose, and her companion Thomas Cresswell. They work really well together as a team and I find him incredibly charming.

Ooogie Boogie: A  book with one hell of a wicked villain.
The Other Mother from Coraline by Neil Gaiman

I actually just put up post earlier this week titled The Most Notable Book Villains, but out of the ten I brought up in that post The Other Mother is definitely my favorite. I find her terrifying and also super dark and sad. Especially for a middle grade story. Granted, I think Coraline is a story that can be loved by readers of any age.

Halloween Town: A book that's creepy or has a scary theme.
The Archived by Victoria Schwab 

The Archived is such a spooky book. The reason for that I would have to say is the Narrows and the Archive. The Archive is where bodies go after they die, and the Narrows is where they go if they wake up. Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive. Mac is a Keeper, tasked with stopping often violent Histories from waking up and getting out. It's pretty creepy and I'm happy I read it this month.

Christmas Town - A book that left you feeling warm and fuzzy inside.
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken
Honestly, this is one of my favorite reads of this year. I absolutely loved it. Before I say what I want to say I want to preface it by disclaiming that it has almost nothing in common with Harry Potter. However, it gives me the same warm fuzzy feels that Harry Potter gives me. I think a lot of well written middle grade novels are capable of doing that, it's the innocence mixed in with the excitement of the story. I fell in love with this story, the characters, and the writing.


What's This? - A book that took you by surprise. 
Sadie by Courtney Summers 

I wasn't sure what to expect with this book but it completely blew me away. Between the intense story, the podcast, and the ending by the time I finished I was in actual shock. I felt hollow and exhausted like I had been in the story experiencing the things Sadie experienced. It is a roller coaster of a book and I cannot recommend it enough. 


Tagging: YOU! If you're interested in doing this tag then this is your sign to do it! If you do I'd love to be tagged so I can read your questions! Or just link me in the comments of this post! Either way, Happy Halloween!

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment