Tuesday, March 10, 2020

[Book Review] Lovely War by Julie Berry




They are Hazel, James, Aubrey, and Colette. A classical pianist from London, a British would-be architect-turned-soldier, a Harlem-born ragtime genius in the U.S. Army, and a Belgian orphan with a gorgeous voice and a devastating past. Their story, as told by goddess Aphrodite, who must spin the tale or face judgment on Mount Olympus, is filled with hope and heartbreak, prejudice and passion, and reveals that, though War is a formidable force, it's no match for the transcendent power of Love.

Hailed by critics, Lovely War has received seven starred reviews and is an indie bestseller. Author Julie Berry has been called "a modern master of historical fiction" by Bookpage and "a celestially inspired storyteller" by the New York Times, and Lovely War is truly her masterwork.


* * *

cw: descriptions of war, racism, violence, sexual assault, mental health issues (not specified but if I had to assume, probably leaning towards depression & ptsd) 

"The most ordinary mortal bodies are housed by spectacular souls."

I've had my eye on this book for so long, but get putting off borrowing it from my library because historical fiction in general can be intimidating since it can be hit or miss for me personally. However, I was in the mood because of Valentine's Day to read a few romance books so I decided it was time to read Lovely War, and I am so happy I picked it up.

I don't want to give too much away about the characters in Aphrodite's two love stories but I genuinely loved all four of them. Each character had their flaws and strengths and held their own in terms of their individual chapters and stories. I also loved seeing the characters interact together and having their stories weave together. The romance between the couples really steals the show. The way Berry has the two romance stories intertwine with each other is beautifully crafted. The stories are set in WWI where both male love interests are soldiers, and although it isn't incredibly graphic, Berry definitely doesn't shy away from the dark moments of war specific soldiers face. This makes it so there is a theme of finding love and hope during dark moments in life and although it sounds kind of cheesy, and I guess it is a little, it's really bittersweet. 

"'Oh you,' he whispered. 'How can you be real?'
'When I'm with you,' she said, 'I'm not sure that I am.'" 
The romance can be a little insta-lovey but I think it fits both the context of the story and the time period enough that it doesn't feel wrong or rushed. With both male interests going to war/putting their life in danger I could see why emotions could be so high that the feelings of wanting to find someone to love could be heightened. Between the gods on Mount Olympus telling the romantic fairy-tale like stories and the gorgeous writing it reads like such an epic grand love story that the insta-love doesn't feel out of place. 

My only real con about the book is that it's a bit predictable. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for some reason I was assuming this story would have this big mind blowing ending and instead it ended exactly how I expected. I think because this story feels like this grand epic love story and it feels like it's building to a big ending, the ending was a bit meh. It's not a bad ending, but while reading I felt like the readers were being prepped for a huge ending. 

"Kisses by the billions happen every day, even in a lonely world like ours. But this is a kiss for the ages."

Overall, I highly recommend this book! If you're in the mood for this incredibly unique formatted love story, this is the one for you. I mean, you have Aphrodite, Hades, and Apollo telling these connected love stories to Hephaestus, who has Aphrodite on trial for having an affair with Ares. That alone had me signed up to read this book, and the romance themselves make it even more worth reading. This book is categorized as a young adult book, something I didn't know until after I read it, and honestly it's probably the best historical romance young adult book out right now. I already have a few people I'd want to gift this one too! 




Thanks for reading

2 comments: