Wednesday, September 4, 2019

August 2019 Wrap-Up





Photo Credit

August has ended so now it's time to reflect on my month! In this post I will list my book reviews, other blog posts, movies, tv shows, life updates, music, and plans for the next month. I will of course link any reviews and anything non-bookish (which means I don't have a review) I will write a few sentences of my general thoughts! This is the year I plan on reading books I either on my shelves or on my kindle that I really need to get to. I also need to tackle finishing a lot of series I have started in the past.

Let's jump in!

* = favorite books

Book Reviews 

Killing Stalking - Koogi
Anger is a Gift - Mark Oshiro
The Case For Jamie - Brittany Cavallaro *
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan *
A Question of Holmes - Brittany Cavallaro

Other Posts

Book Characters I'd Love to be Friends With
Favorite Book Tropes
Borrowed Books I Want To Own 

Movies Watched 

[DVD] Avengers: Age of Ultron - We are still slowly working through the MCU movies and this one just isn't a favorite. I am not a fan of Joss Whedon as a person or really a creator of film or television so I wasn't surprised that I have a lot of issues with this movie as a whole. There are good points, if Whedon is good at anything it's dialogue and this movie has some funny dialogue, so it had entertaining moments but as a movie overall it isn't great. ⭐⭐.5

TV Shows (Finished) 

[Funimation] Yuri On Ice - I actually watched this twice this month.  Once alone and then a few days later Matt and I binged it all in one day. I knew he'd like it, and  I was right. It's one of my top five favorite anime shows ever and it means so much to me. I am ready for season 2 to show up already.  I know we need to wait until the movie first but it's all taking so long and I am impatient.
[Netflix] Attack On Titan - Matt and I started from the beginning and watched all three seasons that are currently released. It's nice to be caught up, but now waiting for the new season is going to be torture. I am really loving this show though.
[Netflix] The Good Place - We finally watched season 3! I have to say, I didn't love it as much as the last two seasons. I didn't hate it, and it was addicted enough to binge watch it when it was finally released on Netflix. But I am not sure why I just didn't love this season. I think because not much seemed to happen and it felt a lot of build up for the fourth and final season. Which like, fair, but also a bit of a disappointment.

TV Shows (Currently Watching) 

[Funimation] Fairy Tail - I am only a handful of episodes into this but it's so cute and I am loving it! I don't have too much to say about it just yet but so far it's Heather approved.
[Amazon Prime] Banana Fish - Again, I am not too far into this show but I am loving it so much. It's really suspenseful and dark. I know I am going to have my heartbroken because I have already had my heart broken so I am ready for the emotional roller coaster.
[Funimation] Fruits Basket - I have been watching the revamp of this show. I caught up a couple weeks ago so now I am waiting each week for a new episode like everyone else. I never watched far into the original when I was younger, so most of this has been new to me and I've been loving it so much. It makes me feel all the emotions.  It's so pure.
[Netflix] Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Matt and I watched this a while back and we stopped around the middle of season 3. I don't know why, but we have been loving it. We are in the beginning of season 4 now and I believe we only have five in total so we are almost at the end!

Music

[Album] Lover by Taylor Swift - I love this album so much. The first 24 hours I have to admit and say I was not a fan, but I think it was because it's so different from what I am used to. I became a fan of Taylor's in her 1989 era, because I hate country music. And there are definitely country type moments in some of her songs. On top of that, I think it just took a few listens for me to be really into the album. I do have a ranking of my favorites, which I can easily list below for anyone interested.



Trailers 

[Trailer] The Addams Family - This looks so cute! I love the Addams Family movies, tv show, and comics so much they're so much fun. Especially for this kind of year.
[Trailer] Love Alarm - This looks so cute! I had no idea about it until it showed up on my Twitter timeline and I was immediately on board.
[Trailer] Lady and the Tramp -  I love Lady and the Tramp (the sequel is amazing too) so much, so I am really excited for this movie!! They hired pups from the pound, which is so perfect. And it just looks so sweet.

Life Updates 

August has been mostly me getting back into reading, while also doing a lot of wedding planning. We are almost there! Less than 40 days to go! Other than one more dress fitting, a hair appointment, and many meetings we are basically done with the planning. Which feels great!  But also, I am not a patient woman and if I don't have wedding planning to take up all my time I am just watching the time go by so slowly.

So, Matt and I have decided to try to teach ourselves how to draw. It's been so freaking frustrating but also a lot of fun. I have always known this, but I am super hard on myself especially when learning something new (I mean why can't I learn how to do something and do it perfectly on the first try?!) so I have been trying to be kinder to myself. But some days are better than others.

Other than, I have been putting together my TBR for this month and of course for the best month, October! But I am not going to get ahead of myself and I'll focus on some of the books I plan on reading in September. I definitely have more books on my list besides the ones I put below but these are the ones I am positive I will be reading in September.

September TBR  



Sea of Monsters
Rick Riordan 

I am hoping to finish the Percy Jackson series by the end of the month so I can continue the multiple spin off series that are attached to this original story. I would like to read Sea of Monsters and The Titan's Curse in September so I can focus on more spooky reads for October.

Tunnel of Bones
Victoria Schwab 

I am so excited for this book! I am planning on reading City of Ghosts beforehand, but I probably won't review it a second time because it's mostly a refresher for me. I doubt I'll have any new opinions because it is a perfect middle grade book and I love it. If you like books like Coraline, where it's got this spooky aesthetic/vibe but it isn't like terrifying. Then this is a book you'll love. 

Red, White, and Royal Blue 
Casey McQuiston 
I know I should have read this in like July or something but ya girl is getting married in a little over a month and she is in a romance mood along with a spooky mood. It's a weird mix and we are just going with it. I hear nothing but good things about this book. It's been everywhere on book twitter since the beginning of the summer and I finally caved and requested it from my library. I'm genuinely excited and I hope that it's good! 

 The Song of Achilles
Madeline Miller 

I will be buddy reading with Erica over at Erica Robyn Reads hopefully sometime at the end of September! I have had this book on my kindle for far too long and I hear nothing but praise for it. I am also interested in reading her second book, Circe, sometime at the end of this year (maybe November?) so I wanted to read this one first. I know they're not connected but if I already have this one I may as well read it! Plus it sounds so good. 


Thanks for reading!
How was your August? What was your favorite book that you read?


No comments:

Post a Comment