Monday, August 26, 2019

[Top Ten Tuesday] Borrowed Books I Want To Own





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. However, I only want to do the prompts that I am genuinely excited for, so that will determine if I have one up each week or not. This week I am talking about books I have borrowed from my local library, loved, and now want to own for my personal collection. I have such a long list of books because I almost completely get any new books from my library.

So lets jump in!


The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Taylor Jenkins Reid 

I absolutely loved this book when I read it over a year ago now. It's a book that has stuck with me since I closed and returned it to the library. It wasn't a book I would have picked up on my own, but with the hype surrounding it online I finally picked it up and I am so happy that I did! 

Puddin'
Julie Murphy

 This is one of my favorite books that features a fat main characters. I wish I could send younger me a copy of Puddin' (and honestly, The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli) because I know she would have heavily related to Millie, the main character in Puddin'. I am so happy that young readers have books like this at their disposal. 

 A Darker Shade of Magic
V.E. Schwab 

I want the collectors edition of this trilogy so bad. All three of these books got a high rating from me because of how amazing they are and I need them for my shelves so I can re-read whenever I want. Schwab is my favorite author, so I am disappointed in myself that I don't owe all her books yet but one day I will! 


 The Astonishing Color of After 
Emily X.R. Pan

This book broke my heart. It's a magical realism book about Leigh, a teenager who's mom recently died by suicide. She is half Asian and half white and goes to Taiwan to find her mother, because she is convinced her mother has turned into a bird. It's a hard book to explain, but it's so beautiful. I'd love to re-read it soon.
The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding
Alexandra Bracken 

This is one of the most perfect Autumn/Halloween books I've ever read, especially if you're like me and you like Halloween reads that are spooky but not horror/thriller. I prefer more "spoopy" type stories. My favorite stories for the spooky season are Coraline, Nightmare Before Christmas, ParaNorman, etc. So if you're into that kind of spooky this is the book for you. 

My Hero Academia - All Volumes
Kohei Horikoshi 

I have reviews of all the current volumes, but I linked my first review. I absolutely love both this manga and the anime. I am currently reading the chapters now and trying to catch up so I can read them every time a new one is released. It's one of my favorite manga/anime stories and I am hoping to just re-read the new chapters once they're put into volumes. If you like anime and superheroes this will probably be right up your ally. 

Mighty Jack
Ben Hatke 

I absolutely loved Ben Hatke's Zita the Spacegirl trilogy, so I am not surprised at how much I loved Mighty Jack. I haven't continued the series yet but I absolutely plan on it. I am not sure if I want to borrow the rest from the library or just get them for my collection because I am sure I'll love them all.  

Sky in the Deep
Adrienne Young

This book pleasantly surprised me. I borrowed it from the library on a bit of a whim. The synopsis caught my interest and the cover is super pretty, so I grabbed it. It's such a great example of enemies-to-lovers and it's also a great example of a really well executed stand-alone fantasy book. I fell in love with the characters and the story so much. 

Every Heart A Doorway
Seanan McGuire 

I have read the first three books in this series so far and I have loved every single one of them. I haven't read the fourth one yet, but mostly because it's been a hot second and I'd love to re-read them before continuing. I really need these for my collection because they're so short I could read them all on a comfy rainy day. 

Orange Volumes 1 & 2
Ichigo Takano 

I have reviews on both volumes and the epilogue volume, which was okay, but not a necessary read. Volumes 1 and 2 mean so much to me and made me a bawling mess throughout the entire story. It's about a girl who gets a letter from her future self, telling her that a new student is going to become her friend but will die by suicide, and future her wants her to prevent it from happening. I can't explain how much this duology means to me, so I really need to buy it for my collection. 


There is my completed list. I'd love to know which books have you borrowed from the library or someone you know personally that you want to own!

Thanks for reading!


10 comments:

  1. Okay, so I seriously need to read The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding. That sounds like the perfect book for me.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's honestly one of the most perfect autumn books! I hope you love it! I am hoping to read it this month.

      Delete
  2. Every Heart a Doorway was so good! Oooh... I've been thinking about starting the Orange anime. :)

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange is amazing! I hope you love it! I am a big baby so take this with a grain of salt but it made me so emotional.

      Delete
  3. Loved Puddin' and all of Julie Murphey's books!

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2019/08/27/top-ten-tuesday-books-ive-read-that-id-like-in-my-personal-library/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to read her first, Side Effects May Vary. But I cannot wait for her newest book, Sweet Pea!

      Delete
  4. My problem is that I want to own EVERY book. Not because I love every book, but because I prefer to read paper books and it's easier if I own them so I don't have to worry about returning them, paying library late fees, etc. I had to do a twist on this week's topic because I don't even need a complete sentence to answer the prompt—ALL the books!

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AAhhh I get that!! I used to be a book collector but I just don't have the room currently in my little apartment. The stacks and stacks of books I already have are making my living room look like a little maze hahaha. One day I will collect all the books! I certainly don't have the money to buy every single book I read in one year, so I am trying to only own books I genuinely loved. Or if they're gifts.

      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  5. I need A Darker Shade of Magic too! :)

    Check out my plans for the LOHF Anniversary Readathon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have snagged a copy of the collectors edition! Now I need to try to get the second one! :D I hope you're able to get your hands on them too!

      Delete