Tuesday, August 7, 2018

[ARC Review] Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn Marsh




The Dead must stay buried.

Karthia is nothing like it used to be. The kingdom's borders are open for the first time in nearly three hundred years, and raising the dead has been outlawed. Odessa is determined to explore the world beyond Karthia's waters, hoping to heal a heart broken in more ways than she can count. But with Meredy joining the ocean voyage, vanquishing her sorrow will be a difficult task.

Despite the daily reminder of the history they share, Odessa and Meredy are fascinated when their journey takes them to a land where the Dead rule the night and dragons roam the streets. Odessa can't help being mesmerized by the new magic--and by the girl at her side. But just as she and Meredy are beginning to explore the new world, a terrifying development in Karthia summons them home at once.

Growing political unrest on top of threats from foreign invaders means Odessa and Meredy are thrust back into the lives they tried to leave behind while specters from their past haunt their tenuous relationship. Gathering a force big enough to ward off enemies seems impossible, until one of Queen Valoria's mages creates a weapon that could make them invincible. As danger continues to mount inside the palace, Odessa fears that without the Dead, even the greatest invention won't be enough to save their fates.

In this enthralling, heartrending sequel to Reign of the Fallen, Odessa faces the fight of her life as the boundaries between the Dead and the living are challenged in a way more gruesome than ever before.


5 STARS

I am so incredibly lucky that I was sent an ARC copy of Song of the Dead, sequel of Reign of the Fallen, by Sarah Glenn Marsh. Of course like always when I am sent a copy of a book, this does not affect my review or opinions in any way. These are my honest opinions.

The official release for Song of the Dead by Sarah Glenn  Marsh is January 22, 2019. Because we still have some time until this book is released there will be no spoilers in this review. However, once the beautiful hardcover edition makes its way to my mailbox I'll be re-reading it and putting up a more in depth discussion about this book! I don't think I've done that before but I feel like I have to because it's my favorite duology. So stay tuned for that!

If you know me, it's not a surprise that I absolutely love Reign of the Fallen. It's one of my favorites, if not my favorite, read of this year and I know I have brought it up way too many times to count. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I have been driving people insane, but  I cannot help it because it's so good. Song of the Dead is just as good, if not better than Reign.

I obviously do not plan on giving anything away because I don't really talk spoilers in my reviews but especially not with ARC reviews. So this will be pretty short and I'll give overall generalized opinions with my experience reading Song of the Dead. I absolutely love the characters. I am such a lover of when  group of characters who aren't related treat each other like family. The found family trope is one I'll never get over especially when it's done right, and it's definitely done right in Sarah Glenn Marsh's duology. I loved everything about the plot, it was super interesting and action packed but it also was balanced with slower (but never boring) scenes so the reader gets to know the characters even more. I also loved the new characters that were introduced.

I'm pretty sad it's only a duology, and I'd do anything to get more stories written in this world because I love the idea of the world so much. And I can't get enough of the characters. I think the story and the plot has an incredibly satisfactory ending, but I just selfishly want more. I would read about these characters doing anything and everything. It's been so long since I've been so in love with a fantasy series the way I am in love with this one. However, despite my heartbreak that this story concludes in a duology, I am going to be reading everything and anything else Sarah writes because I love her writing style. I think she is so talented at writing beautiful prose without it being too flowery, writing really exciting story lines that have you guessing, and she's talented at writing well developed characters. I cannot get enough.

If you haven't read Reign of the Fallen yet, I highly recommend picking it up before the January 2019 release of Song of the Dead. If you liked Reign please consider pre-ordering Song because it's one of the best things you can do for an author!! If you haven't pre-ordered yet, if you pre-order from this link if you're one of the first 100 you can get a signed copy, map, and character cards! This link works for both US readers and INTL readers!

If you are in the US and have already pre-ordered Song of the Dead from Amazon/Barnes and Noble/anywhere else click this link so you can get the signed Song of the Dead bookmark, a 11x17 map of the world in the Reign of the Fallen series, and four brand new character cards! I have the pre-order goodies from Reign (which are also character cards) and I highly recommend getting your pre-order goodies if you've pre-ordered because they're gorgeous. Both sets of cards are done by the amazing artist Jo Painter who is so talented. Get your cards! And the new map looks absolutely stunning. 

Overall, I highly recommend this duology, if you've already read Reign, I'd love to know who your favorite characters are! And if you haven't go read it so we can discuss!! I can talk about this story forever.

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment