Sunday, January 14, 2018

[Book Review] Rapunzel and the Lost Lagoon by Leila Howland


Rapunzel is not your typical princess. For one thing, she has returned to her kingdom after eighteen years spent trapped in a tower and she's still getting to know her parents. For another, she has to get used to royal customs, like the proper ways to sit and curtsy, when she'd really rather climb a tree and paint. Plus, she hates wearing shoes.

Cassandra is not your typical lady-in-waiting. As the daughter of the captain of the guard, she has grown up fascinated by security and weaponry. It has been her life's goal to become a soldier in the guard, and princess-sitting doesn't really fit into her plan-especially when that princess's aggravating boyfriend is always hanging around.

But when Rapunzel and Cassandra stumble upon a secret lagoon said to hold the key to the kingdom's greatest power, it will be up to them to solve the mystery before someone more sinister does.

Follow this tale of adventure and intrigue, love and destiny, and, most important, friendship.


4.5 STARS 

Tangled, the Disney movie, is my favorite Disney princess movie ever. So when I heard that not only was Disney coming out with a television show but there would also be a book series, I was so excited. I have only seen the first episode of the series, due to my lack of cable television so I was excited to get a hold of the book. 

Now, knowing it is a Disney story, mostly designated for children, I suspected it to be a bit cheesy. And it was, in a few places, but it never felt over the top or caked on. Which I really respected as both a older reader and fan but also for the younger readers. I think young readers who loved Tangled will love this book. It's clever, funny, and exciting. It doesn't underestimate the intelligence of younger readers but the story still holds important morals and life lessons.

The characters were great. I really enjoyed Howland's writing of Rapunzel and Eugene, two characters we know so much from the movie.  I felt like their characters were well written and represented in the story and they did feel like the movie characters we love so much. I have to admit that Cassandra really got on my nerves sometimes, but characters (and people) like her tend to in life as well and it takes a long time for me to warm up to them. Fortunately, I did warm up to not only Cassandra but her friendship with Rapunzel. 

The mystery was a lot of fun and I liked seeing that the mystery not only helped the reader get to know Cassandra but it also helped bring her closer with Rapunzel. I have to say that at times Cassandra seemed a bit dramatic. She kept assuming that if the king and queen found out what her and Rapunzel were doing she'd be severely punished and so she forced Rapunzel to keep a secret. I understood it at first, but as she grew closer to Rapunzel and her family I assumed her fear would disappear, but it didn't. Rapunzel and her family showed no signs of being harsh, especially to a child. I felt like the drama all that added onto the story was my only real negative aspect of the book. I understand we needed a conflict between our two main characters, but I felt like it didn't make much sense and it felt a bit melodramatic. However, that's a twenty-six year old talking, where children reading would probably understand Cassandra's fears a little more, since everything is a bit more dramatic when you're younger. 

I would have liked a little more Rapunzel and Eugene moments, but that's a selfish reason. I love their relationship so much and it's so much fun. Although I did love the scenes of Rapunzel with Cassandra, since it's nice she was making a new friend, I missed the lack of Eugene. But when he was there it was great, especially the beginning few chapters. 

Overall, I really enjoy this book to anyone who loves Tangled, Disney, or just wants a cute, fun, adventurous fantasy middle grade novel. Once more books come out I definitely plan on reading them and I also definitely need to somehow figure out a way to watch the entire television series. 

Thanks for reading!



2 comments: