Wednesday, June 21, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Favorite Unlikable Protagonists


It's time for this week's Top Five Wednesday! This has been created by gingerreadslainey and it also has a Goodreads group. I am hoping to do these posts (or other weekly Wednesday posts) more often as long as I am interested in the current prompt! This week's prompt I am talking about the five unlikable protagonists that I am still rooting for, despite not being a fan of them.

Celaena Sardothien (Throne of Glass)
The Celaena I am talking about is the one in Throne of Glass, Crown of Midnight, and The Assassin's Blade. After that, not only is she unlikable but I am not really rooting for her as much anymore. I felt for early on Celaena because of the things she went through and the kind of strength she had. I enjoyed her sometimes even if other times she annoyed me, but overall I wanted her to come out on top.

Katniss Everdeen (The Hunger Games)
Katniss is a character that I think could be really selfish at times, and she was so focused on surviving through all the hardships life through at her, she would not take other people's feelings into consideration before doing something toxic. I think although at times I disliked her, I never hated her, because I understood where she was coming from and I wanted her to succeed.

Libby Day (Dark Places)
I could really put any of the three Gillian Flynn main characters up on here, but since Dark Places is my favorite of the three I chose it. I wanted Libby to find out the truth to her past, and I felt for her because she had been through some hard times, but I couldn't fully like her. She rubbed me the wrong way and drove me a bit insane.

Jude (I'll Give You the Sun) 
I think Jude was a bit too much for me at times. She was selfish, and I constantly got annoyed with her character throughout the book. I felt for Noah, and thought that she wasn't being the best sister. I do think that this is one of the cases where you're not supposed to love her, but as she learns a lesson you develop to love her by the end. And although I definitely like where she was headed by the end of the book, I still wasn't the biggest fan.

Margot Sanchez (The Education of Margot Sanchez) 
I think like Jude from I'll Give You the Sun, this is another book where you're not supposed to love the main character but once they learn a lesson by the end of the book you're suppose to warm up to them. However, in this case, I actually did warm up to Margot a little by the end. I think she was immature and selfish but as the story goes on she gets better. I wanted her to succeed and to be a better person.

Thanks for reading! 

Who is some of your favorite unlikable protagonists?

3 comments:

  1. Great picks! Ugh, Celaena... haha I was so bummed that her character really rubbed me the wrong way. She totally ruined the series for me personally :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I actually liked her at first. She gets far worse by the third book and stays pretty awful.

      Delete