Friday, February 17, 2017

Beauty and the Beast Book Tag

We only have a month until the Beauty and the Beast movie with Emma Watson as Belle comes out! I am absolutely excited for this adaptation and I cannot wait to discuss it. Until then, I wanted to do this cute little tag that was created by Kirsty and the Cat Read. So, if you end up doing it please tag her! Also comment below and tell me so I can check out your answers!
  
Tale as Old As Time: A popular theme, trope, or setting you will never get bored of reading. 

I am all about the chosen one trope. I know a lot of people don't like it, but I think most of the popular tropes that are widely disliked are fine, as long as they're well written.

Belle: A book you bought for it's beautiful cover that turned out just as beautiful on the inside. 

Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter. This book is a companion book to the Broadway musical, Hamilton: An American Musical. It has behind the scenes information on how the musical came to be, beautiful photos with lyrics from the music, and annotations from the creator of the musical, Lin-Manuel Miranda. It's one of the most beautiful books I have ever bought.

Bonus answer, since I also loved this book. This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab. I love this cover! The red colors are what originally drew my eye to the cover. After reading the book, which I absolutely loved (review here), I looked at the cover a second time I really loved being able to understand the details of the violin and the city. 

Beast: A book you didn't expect much from but pleasantly surprised you. 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. This book is one of my favorites, and I absolutely love it. However, because of the cover (which honestly, isn't great) and because I had heard mixed reviews my expectations weren't incredibly high. I was blown away by the beautiful writing, plot, characters, and the amazing world Taylor created for her readers. I highly recommend the series.

Gaston: A book everyone loves that you don't. 

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. This book is one I was really excited about. I bought it when it was released, read it instantly, and found myself disappointed. I went on to read it two more times (thinking maybe I just read it during the wrong times, but now I may like it) at later dates before realizing that it just isn't for me. I found the writing to be lacking and the story to be dull.

Lefou: A loyal sidekick you can't help but love more than their counterpart.

Hit-Girl by Mark Millar. Okay, so Hit-Girl would disagree that she's the sidekick in this story but the name on the books is Kick-Ass so I am going with her. I enjoyed Dave's character and the way he portrays Kick-Ass but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't reading the series for Hit-Girl. She's hilarious, crude, and badass. I love her character. However, I do warn younger readers that it's a R Rated, super graphic, not appropriate comic book series.

Mrs. Potts, Chip, Lumiere, and Cogsworth: A book that helped you through a difficult time or taught you something meaningful.

The Harry Potter books are the books I always go to when I am having a difficult time. They're my comfort reads but they also helped shape me not only as a reader but as a empathetic human.  However, a book I haven't read in a while but I remember loving is Hate List by Jennifer Brown. It's about a school shooting, but we don't only get the side of the victims and their families, we also get the side of the shooter and his family/girlfriend. I remember really loving this book because of course when tragedies like school shootings happen, the families who lost their loved ones are grieving, but the families who not only lost their loved one (most likely, since most school shootings the shooter doesn't make it) but their loved one has also done a unthinkable and horrible thing. I think we need more books like this one, where you not only think of both sides, but you imagine people more complexly.

"Something There": A book or series that you weren't into at first but picked up towards the end. 

I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson. When I read this book, I had issues getting into the beginning because the writing style is so unique that it takes some time getting used to it. Plus, the story is slow paced and it took some time for me to really get hooked. However, once I did I really enjoyed the story. 

"Be Our Guest": A fictional character you'd love to have over for dinner. 

Ron Weasley. Honestly, Ron is a character I feel like I have always had a connection with (other than him being my first literary crush) but other than that, I think Ron would be a fun person to have over for dinner. He loves food, he seems fun to be around, and he's a nice guy. I was going to cheat and say the whole trio, but I think Ron deserves to be singled out sometimes.

I don't normally do this, but I tag Erica Robyn Reads to do this book tag!

Thanks for reading! 

Can't wait to see the movie! Don't forget to tag the creator if you do this tag and tell me in the comments so I can check it out!

2 comments: