Saturday, June 2, 2018

May Wrap-Up



This is my monthly post where I talk about how the month went for me when it came to reading and some events that maybe sparked me to read more (or stopped me from reading as much as I wanted to). I also link all the reviews I did in the month, update any reading challenges I've signed up for, discuss my plans for the following month, non-book things I've enjoyed, and give updates of my life. This year I have decided that I am not making a big deal on how many books I read or letting myself feel any guilt for the amount I didn't read. I am just going to read what sounds good in the moment without any guilt or pressure. I hope everyone has had a fantastic reading month and that next month goes even better! Let's jump into how May went for me!

 * = favorites of the month

Book Reviews

The Way I Used To Be by Amber Smith
Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire*
The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
The Ghost, The Owl by Franco & Sara Richards 
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling*
Zenith by Sasha Alsberg & Lindsay Cummings
The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty*
The Summer the World Ended by Matthew S. Cox
All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories Throughout the Ages edited by Saundra Mitchell 

In Case You Missed My Other Posts

Free Comic Book Day
[Top Ten Tuesday] Best Character Names

Movies/TV Shows (Finished)

Avengers: Infinity War - I am so excited that we got to finally see this movie!! I loved it so much and I wish we could see it again before it leaves theaters. It's definitely one I plan on buying once it's released on  DVD!*
A Monster Calls - This is such a great book to movie adaptation and I really enjoyed it. However, I did find it a bit boring in parts. Maybe I wasn't in the right headspace. But overall it was a really good watch.
Iron Man - My fiancé and I have decided to start rewatching the Marvel movies from the start, and so we have started! We are hoping to be done by the time Infinity War Part Two is out, so we are taking our time while also trying to make sure we don't fall behind. We are also hoping to make a list and see which  ones we need to buy for our collection. I will go down with this opinion: but Iron Man is one of the best (maybe even the best) Marvel movie to date*
Thor: Ragnorak - THIS WAS SO GOOD!! I loved the crap out of this movie!! Thor is by far one the best characters ever.*
Dancing With The Stars (Season 26) - This weird only four episode series was a damn mess. They were handing out high scores because it was the end of the season but the dancers had barely improved because they literally only had four weeks. It was lackluster and I barely cared. I was rooting for two people (Adam and Mirai) and that's because one - they're both the cutest ever and two - they were already so good to start off so I knew one of them would probably win. I hope they never do this four week season thing again.
Jane the Virgin (Season 4) - This show is probably my favorite non-supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy type show I've ever watched. It is such an amazing show with an amazing cast of characters. I cannot praise Jane the Virgin more. The writing is so well done and I cannot help but get caught up in all the drama, family love, romance, and suspense. I also think that the writing is well done when it comes to character arcs. Characters I hated in season one I now somehow absolutely love, and vice versa. If you have not watched it yet I say go for it.*

Currently Watching

Supernatural (Season 13) - Supernatural is probably my favorite show. Supernatural is like the friend you don't talk to for weeks or even months, but the moment you finally hang out it's like no time has passed between the both of you. Every time  I finally get a chance to binge watch the new season I am reminded why I love this show so much. I know Supernatural gets a lot of crap from people who thinks it's been on for long but I cannot disagree more. Sure, some seasons are weaker than others but I am watching for Sam, Dean, and Cass (and even Jodi!). This show is my heart. And I am really loving Season 13.
Charmed (Starting from beginning) - After the awful trailer for the new rebooted show I decided to re-watch the original. It's so amazing. Sure, the CGI isn't the best (but honestly I don't think it's the worst I've seen from a show from the late 90's/early 2000's. I love the stories, the three sisters, the acting, the writing. All of it. It's such a timeless show and if you're into witches or anything supernatural, want a story with a really great sisterhood plot, and just overall some great tv I recommend checking out the original.

Music

Sleeping At Last -I have discovered a definite new favorite musician of mine. I cannot believe how emotional all of the songs they've released make me. They are releasing a song for each Ennegram types (they currently have released four) and number two has BROKEN me. I am not sure which type I would say I am (maybe I'll do a test soon) but  I loved two. I have also discovered a song of theirs that my dad and I will be dancing to at my wedding, which is very exciting. I cannot recommend their music enough.*
Janelle Monáe - I must have been living under a rock when it comes to Janelle because oh my god her music is so good. I am slowly going through her music but I am really liking her Pynk song she recently put out, along with Make Me Feel

Apps/Games

Cooking Fever -  okay I am with you, this sounds stupid but it really isn't. It's such a fun app and I cannot recommend it enough if you're in the mood for a really weird but fun cooking app. I feel so accomplished getting through all the levels and opening up new restaurants. I am addicted.*
Depop - this is a cool app where you can make an account and sell stuff you may not want and go around to different shops and buy stuff from them. It's incredibly easy. I haven't sold or bought anything but I am fairly new at it. I am thinking of maybe selling books I don't want anymore maybe? I am not sure. But I wanted to spread the word.

Life Updates

I have been writing again. Slowly getting back into it. I think I have tricked myself into almost being scared to write. Maybe it's my anxiety disorder or maybe it's just normal writing insecurities but I am hoping to get myself back on a schedule and to be more productive. May had great parts, like Free Comic Book Day, my fiancé Matt's birthday, and a lot of other distractions from reading. It's been a busy and a bit of a stressful month and I am hoping that my reading is a bit better next month.

June Plans

Matt and I have picked out a book for each other to read. He picked out Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky which I am enjoying but also taking my time reading. I picked out Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi for him, so when the movie comes out we will both have read it. I am hoping that we can do this a couple more times this year, because this way we get to open our TBRs to books we may have not picked up otherwise. I am trying to read books I have on my shelves in June, so that means as little library borrowing as possible. I want to continue with the Song of the Lioness quartet (I still have book 3 & 4 left) and I am hoping to read An Ember in the Ashes and A Torch Against the Night to figure out if I want to continue with the series or not (since book three comes out in June and I don't remember enjoying Torch a lot the first time around).

Also, June is Pride Month, so I am hoping to read a lot of LGBTQIA+ reads this month. I read a lot of queer books all year around so I am not sure if I have a lot on my shelves I still need to read. I just finished (and have my review linked above) the queer book of short stories All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories for Queer Teens Throughout the Ages edited by Saundra Mitchell

Other queer books I want to read this month:
Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann
Golden Boy by Abigail Tarttelin
Prince in Flames by Ben Alderson
Fat Angie by E.E. Charlton-Trujillo

I may find more I want to read, I may not read all the ones I've listed. I own three and one is already on my shelf from the library so I'd love to read all of them but we will see how the month goes. I recently went through my kindle and wrote down all the books I still haven't read that I have owned for far too long. I even have a few series I'd love to re-read and be able to have reviews up on my blog for each of them. I just have so many reading plans that it can sometimes get overwhelming so I am trying to just go slowly through the books I already own while also allowing myself to request new books from the library.

Overall,  I am hoping to read some queer books and some other books I own on my shelves/kindle.

Thanks for reading! 

How was your month? What was your favorite read?


2 comments:

  1. I read 5 books in May and I think my favorite was Seashells,Spells and Caramels-Erin Johnson, this is a new favorite series of mine!!

    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/06/my-may-wrap-up-post-i-had-pretty-good.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I will have to look into those!! I will check out your wrap up now :D <3 thanks for reading!

      Delete