Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Worst Books of 2017


Now that 2017 is over it's time to reflect on my completed reading list! Of course, like I had my Favorite Books of 2017, I am going to do the opposite. I typically do not like having to do a obligatory disclaimer, but I will quickly say that if I end up naming one of your favorite books, this is not a personal attack on you. Please understand that. I understand that us bookish people are passionate about the stories we love, so I am up for a discussion, but let's keep it civil. Also, I'd love to know your least favorite books you read in 2017.

My list will be only five books. There weren't many books I absolutely despised. I don't want to add a book to this list unless I really hated the book. Also, some released in 2017 but others didn't. However, I did read them all in 2017. So let's get into my picks!


See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt
I was incredibly excited to read this book when I heard about it. I impatiently waited for the release date and then immediately requested it from the library. I've always been really fascinated with Lizzie Bennett and her case, so I had high hopes. Unfortunately it was pretty boring and the writing wasn't great.

House of Furies by Madeleine Roux
This was definitely another book I had my hopes for. It just looked and sounded so cool and I was ready for this eerie story. There were moments that were eerie, but they were few and far between and instead the story was focused on a undeveloped romance when there was so much other very cool elements of the story being left in the background barely being used. It was such a bummer.

The Umbrella Academy by Gerard Way
I had high hopes for this because of two things. One being that there is so much hype around this comic series. The second thing, is that I am a huge fan of Gerard Way. I love My Chemical Romance and I love the story in their music, especially in their final album Danger Days. So I was really excited about this comic series but I ended up not really liking the story or the art. 

The Fortress of Blood by L.D. Goffigan
This is the sequel to The Beast in London, a book I loved, but unfortunately I really didn't like the sequel.  The characters I liked in the first book I ended up not liking anymore. I really didn't like a new character added to the story, and I felt like it was anti-climatic. The characters are gearing up for this fight scene which ended up being super short and disappointing. I just was not a fan and I lost my interest to continue the series.

Liefdom: A Tale From Perilisc by Jesse Teller (CW: Rape)
This was probably my least favorite book in 2017. The writing wasn't very good and the story was a mess. There was a lot of  weird mentions and scenes with rape that not only seemed out of place but also felt like it was used almost like a positive thing. It felt wrong and gross and I cannot express how much I do not recommend this book to anyone.

Thanks for reading!



4 comments:

  1. Oh my god, I had forgotten about Liefdom... ugh what a rough one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't care for these. I haven't read any of them, but maybe that's not a bad thing. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha true. I always tell people to give any book a shot, whether I personally liked it or not, because every reader is different. Honestly out of my whole list the only one I SUPER do not recommend is Liefdom. The rest of them could be enjoyed by others, I just personally was not a fan.

      Delete