Sunday, August 20, 2017

[Book Review] See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt


On the morning of August 4, 1892, Lizzie Borden calls out to her maid: Someone's killed Father. The brutal ax-murderer of Andrew and Abby Borden in their home in Fall River, Massachusetts, leaves little evidence and many unanswered questions. While neighbors struggle to understand why anyone would want to harm the respected Bordens, those close tot he family have a different tale to tell - of a father with an explosive temper; a spiteful stepmother; and two spinster sisters, with a bond even stronger than blood, desperate for their independence.

2 STARS 

I have been highly anticipating this book for a long while now. I have been interested in the Lizzie Borden case for the last few years and when I read the synopsis of this book I was really hyped because the synopsis makes it sound like such an amazing take on the real life murder. Unfortunately I wasn't the biggest fan of the execution.

I was hoping that we would get a different twist or take on the story. It's a fictional novel, so I assumed the author would have a little fun with the information we know about the real life event. Instead it was mostly just a story play by play of what could have happened with an added character who is completely fictional. It was boring for a lot of the story, and it wasn't believable. Which was surprising, since the event actually happened.

The characters weren't that great, Lizzie is supposed to be in her twenties but acted like a whiny teenager, so did her sister Emma. According to the synopsis we are supposed to believe that Lizzie and Emma have "a bond even stronger than blood" but it didn't seem like that. I didn't feel much of a connection to them at all. The rest of the characters were fine, I didn't have much of a reaction to any of them. I felt pretty "meh" about most of the characters.

The story itself got exciting during the event of the actual murder but other than that the story slowly drags on and it's very anti climatic. Which I mean, sure, it's anti climatic because it's an unsolved mystery, but because most of the story was so boring I was hoping at least the end was going to be exciting. The writing itself was fine, I didn't feel like it was badly written, just the story wasn't the story I thought it was going to be, unfortunately. 

Overall, I don't know if I recommend this to anyone who already knows the story of Lizzie Borden and the Borden family. If you don't know much about the story maybe it's more exciting, but I don't doubt there are better books on the topic. I am really disappointed in this book, I had such high hopes for it.


Thanks for reading!




6 comments:

  1. Excellent review, Heather, but so sorry it was disappointing :( It sounds so good and has so much potential, but I also hate boring stories and bad characters! I guess it would've been better if it was more fiction than nonfiction, right? A pity the author wasted the opportunity.

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Exactly! I wish the author had more fun with the case! She had no problem adding a fictional character and changing some details so I she definitely wasn't going for the full non-fiction route. It was like she was scared to take a chance and really have fun with it, which is a bummer because it could have been amazing and creepy.

      Thanks so much for reading Amy! <3

      Delete
  2. Aw, damn. I'm glad you read this book first, because you're right, that blurb does sound amaaaaazing. I'm having a true crime moment, and I've listened to probably ten hours of podcasts about this case.

    I'd want a fictionalized account of it to either incorporate some kind of shocking twist (It was a zombie! Black magic! Also, aliens!) or focus on, like, a neighbor family or something, I think. Have you read A Northern Light? That's an example of a historical fiction novel about a real murder that doesn't focus exclusively on the murder; I liked it a lot.

    Thanks for saving me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! Ugh doesn't the blurb make it sound so spooky and fun!? I was hoping for something really spooky like ghosts or magic. Something fun and out there. If I wanted a non-fiction book on Lizzie Borden I would have picked up one that was already out! I wanted the author to have some fun.

      I haven't read A Northern Light but I will add it to my TBR! Thanks! :D

      And of course <3 If you end up picking it up anyway, please tell me what you thought of it! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm SO bummed about this read. Ugh! I had been counting down the days just to be totally let down... We should keep an eye out for a better book about Lizzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh yeah we should. I know the TV movie and show on Netflix with Christina Ricci as Lizzie is really good, but now we just need more books on her!

      Delete