Wednesday, November 1, 2017

October Wrap-Up


This is where I talk about how the month went for me when it came to reading and some events that maybe sparked me to read more (or stopped me from reading as much as I wanted to). I also link all the reviews I did in the month, talk about any books I DNFed, discuss my plans for the following month, and give updates of my life.

This month reading wise I did really well! I am actually super proud of myself and I am hoping this means I am on the end of my reading slump. I read some really good books this month and I am really excited to share them!

Book Reviews

Ultimate Sacrifice
We Were Liars 
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Turtles All The Way Down 
The Broke-Ass Bride's Wedding Guide 
Trick or Treat Murder
There's Someone Inside Your House 

DNF

Soul Journey by Miranda Shanklin

I won Soul Journey in a giveaway back in the summer, but saved reading it until October because it had witches and other supernatural elements that I thought would be really fun to read around Halloween. Unfortunately, I couldn't get more than forty pages in before having to stop because of how bad the writing was. It felt like a first draft, it needed a lot of work. I just couldn't get past the bad writing.

Non-Book Updates 

We have had a interesting month. From looking at wedding venues, to my birthday where I turned 26, to all the Halloween plans we had and this awful storm that ruined some of those plans, to my uncle getting sick (and passing away just yesterday). It's been a crazy month with a lot of ups and downs. Which is why I am surprised at how many books I read.

I had a goal of being more active in the community, and honestly I could have done better. I commented on posts here and there but for the most part I was focused so much on reading. I am hoping to try to keep improving, but I am not sure how much improvement will happen this month with NaNoWriMo starting today.

November Reading Plans 

Like I said, with NaNoWriMo starting today I am worried it'll affect my reading. However, I plan on reading books that will help me be inspired to keep writing. So these books will have elements that my story will have, so I can learn from them and basically use it as research. First, I need to finish the book I am currently reading, which is The Diviners by Libba Bray. I have about 150 more pages and I plan on finishing it today. I also plan on posting weekly updates on my NaNoWriMo progress (hopefully I can stick it out the entire month! ah!).

Overall, I am really proud of my reading this month. I read some really amazing books and I am hoping I can keep it up for November. How was your reading month? I hope everyone had a spooktastic Halloween.

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Great wrap-up!! :) Good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also cutting back on reading because of NaNo. Hope your writing goes well!

    Don't worry about not being super active in the blogosphere. I've been so busy recently and I also feel terrible because I'm missing people's posts, etc, but life comes first. I have to remind myself of that constantly.

    Hope you have a wonderful November, Heather! ❤

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh good luck on NaNo! I hope you’re having a good week!

      I know. I always feel bad. There’s so many posts every day and it’s so hard to keep up with them all! Everyone’s so talented and I just want to comment on everything. <3 you’re sweet.

      Thank you so much Amy. Have an amazing November! ❤️

      Delete