Wednesday, February 15, 2017

[Top 5 Wednesday] Favorite Non-Written Novels


It's time for this week's Top Five Wednesday! This has been created by gingerreadslainey and it also has a Goodreads group. I am hoping to do these posts (or other weekly Wednesday posts) more often as long as I am interested in the current prompt! This prompt is to talk about five of my favorite non-written books, so that can be audiobooks, comic books, graphic novels, etc. This way we're talking about other forms of reading. So here we go!


[Comic Book] LumberJanes by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen, & Noelle Stevenson 

This comic series is so much fun to read! I have only read the first three volumes so far but from what I have read I am in love with. It's about a group of girls who all go to camp and supernatural events go on around them and they always find themselves in the middle of it. It's hilarious, beautifully drawn, and each girl has their own distinct personality. It has LGBTQ+ and girl power themes that make it really good for young readers also. Every time I get to the end of a volume and there are all the cover illustrations of other editions and single issues I just want to put them on my walls they're so gorgeous. I absolutely love the art work.

[Graphic Novel] Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke 

This is a graphic novel trilogy following a girl named Zita who's friend is captured by an alien doomsday cult and she rushes to rescue her friend. She finds herself on a strange planet with even stranger alien beings and she becomes this intergalactic hero on the quest to find her friend. She makes other alien friends on the way and it's just so much fun to see her talk her way out of situations. She's a smart little character. I think this is another series that is  great for young readers.

[Audiobook] The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

This audiobook is  narrated by Philip Pullman himself along with a large cast of characters. I think audiobooks are a great alternative to physically reading a story, but sometimes the narrators throw you off and it makes it hard to really love the audiobook. This isn't the case. The full cast and Philip Pullman's voices are so perfect for each role that it sucks you right into the story. I was so impressed with the entire production. I highly recommend this book, but especially the audiobook.

[Comic Book] Kick-Ass by Mark Millar 

Kick-Ass is such an amazing comic book series. It's about our main character, Dave, who really wants to be a superhero. He doesn't have the tragic backstory, the training, or even any superpowers. However, he still buys a weird green wet suit off the internet and decides to go out and fight crime. And it doesn't go as planned for him, unfortunately. This is a dark comic series, especially the second volume, but the whole series is really violent and harsh. It is definitely Rated R so unlike most of the things I read it's not ideal for young readers. However for adults, it's a really fun to read. There's a lot of really interesting character development, backstories, and friendships formed. The themes get dark like I said earlier but they're also deep topics that make you think. My favorite character is by far Hit Girl. She is my favorite superhero ever. The movies are good, but the comics are better.

[Audiobook] Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

I will never stop talking about this book or this audiobook. I didn't expect to love this book as much as I did when I listened to it for the first time. I heard great things, but I knew it was LGBTQ+ between two teenage boys and although I love reading this kind of story I always assume that I can only relate so far as a straight woman. And each time I am proven wrong but especially with this book. This was more than the start of a friendship/romance. It was about two really great characters and their families. The feeling of love that comes out of the narrator, Lin-Manuel Miranda's, voice makes it really hard not to feel something while reading this story. Every time I read or listen to this book I am a mess of all these different emotions. The audiobook especially, Lin-Manuel's voice holds a lot of emotion. He's great at the different voices for each character and I cannot express how much I recommend both the book and the audiobook.

Thanks for reading! 

What non-written novels do you recommend? Please tell me in the comments or even link me to your Top 5 Wednesday so I can read them!

2 comments:

  1. I STILL need to check out the Kick-Ass comic. How long have I been saying that now? hahaha

    ReplyDelete