Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Book Courtship Tag


This tag was originally created by Hi I Love Books on YouTube! I decided to do this in honor of Valentine's Day since it's a cute little tag about falling in love but in this case with books. Enjoy and Happy Valentine's Day! Hope that you have a good day with your loved ones whether they be platonic, romantic, or fictional.

Phase One - Initial Attraction: A book you bought because of the cover.

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. When I originally bought the hardcover copy of this book I bought it because of the beautiful cover. I saw that it was getting great reviews, but I didn't know what the book was about other than being a fantasy book. The cover is gorgeous. 

Phase Two - First Impressions: A book that you got because of the summary.

Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake was a book that had a summary I was very interested in when I originally read it. The idea of three sisters being separated at a young age to be trained at certain skill sets to prepare to fight each other to the death and then the victorious sister becoming the new queen sounds so cool. I loved that idea and the moment I knew what the book was about I immediately put a request for it at my library. 

Phase Three - Sweet Talk: A book with great writing. 

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor has beautiful writing. I absolutely love Laini Taylor's writing in the entire series. I haven't read any of her other books other than the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series but I do plan on it.

Phase Four - First Date: A first book of a series which made you want to pursue the rest of the series. 

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab blew me away. I am so excited for the next book in the series Our Dark Duet. I loved her writing, the characters, the world building, etc. I am constantly impressed with Victoria Schwab's books. 

Phase Five - Late night phone calls: A book that kept you up all night long.

A List of Cages or Robin Roe is a book I recently read and devoured. I was up so late reading this book, and when I woke up my first thought was to grab the book and keep reading. There's a moment in the book that feels like a punch in the gut, and in that moment you need to know what's going to happen. It was like getting news about someone I loved and not knowing if they were okay. You can't fall asleep not knowing, it just keeps you up at night. It felt just like that. 

Phase Six - Always On My Mind: A book that you could not stop thinking about. 

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz. I was honestly shocked at how this book affected me as I read it. I assumed I would like it, or I'd find it sweet, because it's about two teenage boys who become best friends and then see themselves as more than friends. But it's so much more than that, it's about family and self acceptance. I cannot recommend this book to enough people. It owns such a big piece of my heart.

Phase Seven - Getting Physical: A book in which you love the way it feels. 

If you mean how the physical copy of the book feels, then I would have to say Dumplin' by Julie Murphy.  It's got this velvety smooth cover that's so simplistic and beautiful. I love that cover. If you mean how the story feels, I'd have to say The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. I recently read this book and I loved the world so much. I felt like I was in the story all the way through. I would jump into the story and then all of a sudden three hours have flew by and I would be so shocked. A good portion of the book is in this snowy and freezing setting and I swear when I read the book I would feel so cold, even if I was snuggled in a blanket and swearing sweaters. The writing was just so good that I felt like I was there.

Phase Eight: Meeting the Parents: A book in which you would recommend to your friends and family. 

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness is one of the most important books about grief I have ever read. It was so well done and so heartbreaking. I think this is the kind of book that will be a classic. It's written so well, the illustrations are so simplistic and beautiful, and the story breaks your heart. However, for something that's not heartbreaking and sad, a happier book I'd recommend is probably The DUFF by Kody Keplinger. The Duff is about a seventeen year old girl who thinks of herself as the "Designated Ugly Fat Friend" and between dealing with those kind of insecurities, her feelings about a guy, and her family life she has a lot on her plate. I really love this book because it's very body positive and realistic. However, it is also a little more mature than most young adult contemporary books. Just wanted to give that warning.

Phase Nine: Thinking About the Future: A book or series that you know you'll re-read many times in the future. 

I re-read the Harry Potter books as often as I can, it's hard not to. Same with most of the books I previously mentioned. I like re-reading fantasy books because being in fantasy worlds is always a fun reading adventure. I also re-read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland a lot. Also all three of John Corey Whaley's books are books I love to re-read. I think re-reading is always so much fun and I try to do it often without much guilt. I am all about re-reading books especially if you're in a slump or if you need a comfort read.

Phase Ten: Share the love! Who would you like to tag? 
I tag Erica Robyn Reads to do this tag! I also tag anyone who has any interest in this tag! Go for it! If you end up doing it because of my post please comment and tell me that you did it so I can read your responses!


Thank you for reading!

Are there any of my answers you agree or disagree with? Don't forget to tell me if you do the tag! I love reading other people's answers.

1 comment:

  1. Here's mine! :) http://ericarobynreads.blogspot.com/2017/02/book-tag-courtship.html

    ReplyDelete