Tuesday, February 18, 2020

[Top Ten Tuesday] Reads That Gave Me Book Hangovers




Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week we are talking about books that have resulted in a book hangover. A book hangover is defined as: "a condition in which attachment to a book or series that has ended causes the reader traumatic emotional distress. It usually lats for one or two weeks or until a new book of higher-than-average quality enters the reader's life". This list was a bit of a harder one to put together because I typically don't have issues moving onto a new book, no matter how much I loved the one I finished because I get all of my thoughts and emotions out while writing my review. However, these are recent-ish (in the past year or so) reads that made me so emotional it took longer than normal to pick up the next book, even if that is only a handful of days or so.

Let's jump into my list!

* * *

 Gideon the Ninth
Tamsyn Muir 

This was the last book I read in 2019 and the first one that popped in my head when I read this week's prompt. This book absolutely shattered me, and I am dying for book two. I am honestly even dying to re-read it so I am hoping to buy it soon so I can do that. I wasn't sure what to expect when I went into this book, and honestly I was blown away. 

Synopsis
Gideon the Ninth is the most fun you'll ever have with a skeleton.

The Emperor needs necromancers.

The Ninth Necromancer needs a swordswoman.

Gideon has a sword, some dirty magazines, and no more time for undead bullshit.

Tamsyn Muir's Gideon the Ninth unveils a solar system of swordplay, cut-throat politics, and lesbian necromancers. Her characters leap off the page, as skillfully animated as necromantic skeletons. The result is a heart-pounding epic science fantasy.

Brought up by unfriendly, ossifying nuns, ancient retainers, and countless skeletons, Gideon is ready to abandon a life of servitude and an afterlife as a reanimated corpse. She packs up her sword, her shoes, and her dirty magazines, and prepares to launch her daring escape. But her childhood nemesis won't set her free without a service.

Harrowhark Nonagesimus, Reverend Daughter of the Ninth House and bone witch extraordinaire, has been summoned into action. The Emperor has invited the heirs to each of his loyal Houses to a deadly trial of wits and skill. If Harrowhark succeeds she will become an immortal, all-powerful servant of the Resurrection, but no necromancer can ascend without their cavalier. Without Gideon's sword, Harrow will fail, and the Ninth House will die.

Of course, some things are better left dead.

Echo North 
Joanna Ruth Meyer

I picked this one up only last month and I fell in love almost instantly. I was completely swept up by this fairy-tale adventure/romance and I think it's one of the most beautiful stories. I am so excited to re-read it (hopefully) every winter because it was the perfect winter book for me. 

Synopsis
Echo Alkaev’s safe and carefully structured world falls apart when her father leaves for the city and mysteriously disappears. Believing he is lost forever, Echo is shocked to find him half-frozen in the winter forest six months later, guarded by a strange talking wolf—the same creature who attacked her as a child. The wolf presents Echo with an ultimatum: If she lives with him for one year, he will ensure her father makes it home safely. But there is more to the wolf than Echo realizes.

In his enchanted house beneath a mountain, each room must be sewn together to keep the home from unraveling, and something new and dark and strange lies behind every door. When centuries-old secrets unfold, Echo discovers a magical library full of books-turned-mirrors, and a young man named Hal who is trapped inside of them. As the year ticks by, the rooms begin to disappear, and Echo must solve the mystery of the wolf’s enchantment before her time is up, otherwise Echo, the wolf, and Hal will be lost forever.

Sadie
Courtney Summers

I read this one the first time around the time of publication and I remember being absolutely stunned when I finished it. It's a while ride, and the ending really just stabs you in the gut. I re-read it with a friend last month, and even with knowing the ending of Sadie, I felt the same exact way I did when I read it the first time. It's honestly hard not to feel the same way. 

Synopsis
A missing girl on a journey of revenge. A Serial―like podcast following the clues she's left behind. And an ending you won't be able to stop talking about.

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray―a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America―overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. Sadie is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page.
  

Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Tomi Adeyemi 

I absolutely loved this sequel so much. I know sometimes I am a bit apprehensive about the second book in a series because often second books have a lot of filler and can sometimes be a disappointment, but this one wasn't one of those books. It absolutely loved so much of this story, the character's developments, and the plot itself had me hooked. I cannot wait for book three. 

Synopsis
After battling the impossible, Zélie and Amari have finally succeeded in bringing magic back to the land of Orïsha. But the ritual was more powerful than they could’ve imagined, reigniting the powers of not only the maji, but of nobles with magic ancestry, too.

Now, Zélie struggles to unite the maji in an Orïsha where the enemy is just as powerful as they are. But when the monarchy and military unite to keep control of Orïsha, Zélie must fight to secure Amari's right to the throne and protect the new maji from the monarchy's wrath.

With civil war looming on the horizon, Zélie finds herself at a breaking point: she must discover a way to bring the kingdom together or watch as Orïsha tears itself apart.

The Miracles of the Namiya General Store
Keigo Higashino 

I picked this one up completely on a whim. I was in a bookstore and kept going back to it because the cover and synopsis wouldn't leave my head and I decided  I wasn't leaving the bookstore without it. I'm so happy I trusted my instincts because I am in love with this book. It's such a heartwarming and touching book that has different stories but they all tie together beautifully. 

Synopsis
When three delinquents hole up in an abandoned general store after their most recent robbery, to their great surprise, a letter drops through the mail slot in the store's shutter. This seemingly simple request for advice sets the trio on a journey of discovery as, over the course of a single night, they step into the role of the kindhearted former shopkeeper who devoted his waning years to offering thoughtful counsel to his correspondents. Through the lens of time, they share insight with those seeking guidance, and by morning, none of their lives will ever be the same.

By acclaimed author Keigo Higashino, The Miracles of the Namiya General Store is a work that has touched the hearts of readers around the world.

Red, White, and Royal Blue
Casey McQuiston
The hype around this book was so intense I had to see what everyone was talking about, and I absolutely loved it. I don't have a lot of romance books on this list because I am pretty picky about romance, so for this to be on this list says something! The characters were perfect, the story was filled was so much hope and sweetness, and the writing/dialogue were both hilarious and heartwarming. This is another I need for my collection so I can read it whenever! 
Synopsis
What happens when America's First Son falls in love with the Prince of Wales?

When his mother became President, Alex Claremont-Diaz was promptly cast as the American equivalent of a young royal. Handsome, charismatic, genius—his image is pure millennial-marketing gold for the White House. There's only one problem: Alex has a beef with the actual prince, Henry, across the pond. And when the tabloids get hold of a photo involving an Alex-Henry altercation, U.S./British relations take a turn for the worse.

Heads of family, state, and other handlers devise a plan for damage control: staging a truce between the two rivals. What at first begins as a fake, Instragramable friendship grows deeper, and more dangerous, than either Alex or Henry could have imagined. Soon Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret romance with a surprisingly unstuffy Henry that could derail the campaign and upend two nations and begs the question: Can love save the world after all? Where do we find the courage, and the power, to be the people we are meant to be? And how can we learn to let our true colors shine through? Casey McQuiston's Red, White & Royal Blue proves: true love isn't always diplomatic.

Song of the Dead
Sarah Glenn Marsh

This is the sequel to Reign of the Fallen, a book that could also be on this list, but this one had me a bit more hungover after reading, I'd say because it's the last one in the duology. This duology is one I have talked about way too much (and will continue to talk about) on my blog and just in my everyday life. I love the characters, story, and writing. It's just perfect for me, and although I'd die for more, I am happy to be able to go back and re-read whenever I can. 

Synopsis
The Dead must stay buried.

Karthia is nothing like it used to be. The kingdom's borders are open for the first time in nearly three hundred years, and raising the dead has been outlawed. Odessa is determined to explore the world beyond Karthia's waters, hoping to heal a heart broken in more ways than she can count. But with Meredy joining the ocean voyage, vanquishing her sorrow will be a difficult task.

Despite the daily reminder of the history they share, Odessa and Meredy are fascinated when their journey takes them to a land where the Dead rule the night and dragons roam the streets. Odessa can't help being mesmerized by the new magic--and by the girl at her side. But just as she and Meredy are beginning to explore the new world, a terrifying development in Karthia summons them home at once.

Growing political unrest on top of threats from foreign invaders means Odessa and Meredy are thrust back into the lives they tried to leave behind while specters from their past haunt their tenuous relationship. Gathering a force big enough to ward off enemies seems impossible, until one of Queen Valoria's mages creates a weapon that could make them invincible. As danger continues to mount inside the palace, Odessa fears that without the Dead, even the greatest invention won't be enough to save their fates.

In this enthralling, heartrending sequel to Reign of the Fallen, Odessa faces the fight of her life as the boundaries between the Dead and the living are challenged in a way more gruesome than ever before.
 Our Dark Duet
Victoria Schwab

This is another sequel to a duology that absolutely shattered my heart. I've read the first book, This Savage Song, so many times but I've only read this one once because it honestly broke me and I am not brave enough to re-read it. I want to, and hopefully will do it soon, but this one had me very hungover when I finally finished it. 

Synopsis
THE WORLD IS BREAKING. AND SO ARE THEY.

KATE HARKER isn't afraid of monsters. She hunts them. And she's good at it.

AUGUST FLYNN once yearned to be human. He has a part to play. And he will play it, no matter the cost.

THE WAR HAS BEGUN.

THE MONSTERS ARE WINNING.

Kate will have to return to Verity. August will have to let her back in. And a new monster is waiting—one that feeds on chaos and brings out its victims' inner demons.

Which will be harder to conquer: the monsters they face, or the monsters within?
A Conjuring of Light 
V.E. Schwab

To be honest, this entire trilogy had me messed up, and the fact that we are getting more makes me not only incredibly excited but also a little nervous. Also, I'm due for a re-read sometime soon! I love this trilogy with my whole heart, and I cannot wait to read more. I need to get the comic book volumes as well, I read the first one but it was so long ago. I am planning on just buying them for my collection. 

Synopsis
Witness the fate of beloved heroes - and enemies.

THE BALANCE OF POWER HAS FINALLY TIPPED...

The precarious equilibrium among four Londons has reached its breaking point. Once brimming with the red vivacity of magic, darkness casts a shadow over the Maresh Empire, leaving a space for another London to rise.

WHO WILL CRUMBLE?
Kell - once assumed to be the last surviving Antari - begins to waver under the pressure of competing loyalties. And in the wake of tragedy, can Arnes survive?

WHO WILL RISE?
Lila Bard, once a commonplace - but never common - thief, has survived and flourished through a series of magical trials. But now she must learn to control the magic, before it bleeds her dry. Meanwhile, the disgraced Captain Alucard Emery of the Night Spire collects his crew, attempting a race against time to acquire the impossible.

WHO WILL TAKE CONTROL?
And an ancient enemy returns to claim a crown while a fallen hero tries to save a world in decay.
The Seven Husbands of  Evelyn Hugo
Taylor Jenkins Reid

I read this one back in 2018 and I remember it giving me such a heavy book hangover. It's one of those books that sneaks up on you. While reading you're enjoying it, you're interested, you like the characters and the plot enough to continue, but then all of a sudden it kind of just rushes at you and suddenly you're hit with a wave of emotions. Once I finished this book I was pretty shattered for a while and even after picking up new books and seemingly moving on, this one never left my mind. 

Synopsis
Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one is more astounded than Monique herself. Why her? Why now? Monique is not exactly on top of the world. Her husband has left her, and her professional life is going nowhere. Regardless of why Evelyn has selected her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career.

Summoned to Evelyn's luxurious apartment, Monique listens in fascination as the actress tells her story. From making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the '80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way, Evelyn unspools a tale of ruthless ambition, unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love. Monique begins to feel a very real connection to the legendary star, but as Evelyn's story near its conclusion, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique's own in tragic and irreversible ways. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a mesmerizing journey through the splendor of old Hollywood into the harsh realities of the present day as two women struggle with what it means--and what it costs--to face the truth.

Thanks for reading!!
What are some books that gave you a major book hangover?
 

16 comments:

  1. Sadie and Evelyn Hugo are on my list too!!! Sadie was so powerful and left me with so many thoughts-- and Evelyn Hugo was a character that I couldn't forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both so good! I am so due for a re-read of Evelyn, it's been way too long!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It really just rips out your heart you know? I recommend it though!

      Delete
  3. I adore the cover for Echo North.

    My TTT .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same. Even when a book totally engulfs me, I don't have a problem moving right on to another one. I guess that's why I decided to do a different topic for today's TTT. The book hangover one was too tough for me.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I get more hungover about shows than I do books, I think it's because I have my book blog where I just spill out all my thoughts so it's easier to move on! Happy TTT! :)

      Delete
  5. Good list! I've got R/W/RB on my list, too! Great book!

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2020/02/18/top-ten-tuesday-the-last-ten-books-that-gave-me-a-book-hangover/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evelyn Hugo was definitely one of those books that made you think and feel a lot. It stuck with me long after finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just hits you hard and leaves you kind of shocked right? It's so well done!

      Delete
  7. I love this prompt! And I still haven't managed to track down a copy of Sadie, it sounds SO GOOD, I really want to read it! (I'll be sure to keep a few book-hangover-cures on hand when I do hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good prompt!! And ahhh I hope you love it when you get your hands on Sadie! It's absolutely worth it!

      Delete
  8. I need to read Sadie.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I hope you love it when you read it! It's a hard one to read but absolutely worth it! <3

      Delete