Friday, October 12, 2018

[Book Blogger Hop] October 12th-18th: Explaining Books





Book Blogger Hop's purpose is to give bloggers a chance to discover and follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend bloggers, and gain followers. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end on Thursday where there will be a weekly prompt following a bookish question.


Question:

You are suddenly transported into a future time in which (horrors!) books are unknown. How would you explain books, and how wonderful they are, to the people of that time?  (submitted by Maria @ A Night's Dream of Books )

Answer: 

I assume in this time that most people tell stories by word of mouth because that is how it was done before books. We discussed this in one of my English classes in college, and we learned that when people read books instead of sharing stories orally some didn't like the change. It was almost like the classic "kids these days and their technology" attitude. So I assume I'd get a lot of that kind of feedback. I think I would describe books as portable stories that you can enjoy alone and how intimate that can be. How this way you can carry it around with you, enjoying it whenever you want to. I would explain to the people of this time that if you're feeling lonely or need comfort you could pick up your favorite story and enjoy it. Also, if you can read the book chances are you can also learn to write your own stories, which is something else I would definitely bring up. The idea of creating new stories and reading each others books is magic.

Thanks for reading!











5 comments:

  1. FAB answer.

    This question definitely has brought out some interesting, excellent answers.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like your answer, and that little tidbit about ancient book technology. Hope you have a great weekend. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was such a cool class, I learned so much about the history of reading. Have an amazing week Katie!

      Delete
  3. Great answer!

    However, if I could time travel, I would just take a few books with me to read to the future people.

    ReplyDelete