Friday, March 9, 2018

[Book Blogger Hop] March 9-15: Thoughts On Retellings



Book Blogger Hop's purpose is to give bloggers a chance to discover and follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend bloggers, and gain followers. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end on Thursday where there will be a weekly prompt following a bookish question. This weekly prompt was created by Billy @ Ramblings From A Coffee Addicted Writer.


Question:
Do you enjoy reading retellings of, or 'sequels' to, classic novels? Why or why not? (submitted by Maria @ A Night's Dream of Books)

Answer: 

Absolutely. Retellings of classics, fairy-tales, myths, all of that good stuff is something I am a huge fan of if it is done well. I think it's a lot of fun to see some of my favorite stories in a different light. And if I don't like the way the author has done it, the great part is that I can go to the original source and remember why I love it so much. And if it's a retelling of something I previously couldn't get into or didn't know about, it gives me a reason to give the original source another try. I love Marissa Meyer’s Lunar Chronicles and Heartless. I love Ash by Malinda Lo. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas. There’s so many. And I have so many on my TBR I cannot wait to get to. Some in particular being Girls Made Of Snow And Glass by Melissa Bashardoust and the many Jackson Pearce retellings I have on my kindle.

What about you? How do you feel about retellings?

Thanks for reading!


14 comments:

  1. I've really liked some of the fairy tale retellings that I've read but haven't tried many classic retellings and sequels. I love the Lunar Chronicles! Those are probably some of my favorite fairy tale retellings and it's really not my genre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Lunar Chronicles are an exception for a lot of readers because I hear that often!! They're just so much fun :D

      Delete
  2. Ahh yes I absolutely love classics and fairy tale retellings as well. Yay for the Lunar Chronicles I absolutely love that series, I really need too read Heartless too. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post here is my blog hop answer
    http://katisbookaholicramblingreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/book-blogger-hop-67.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! It's so good I hope you love Heartless like I did!! And I will check out your answer now :D thanks for stopping by Katiria!

      Delete
  3. I agree, I absolutely love fairy tell retellings! I loved the Lunar Chronicles, Beauty by McKinley, and I have BBW and the Beast on my TBR list. I need to read Sarah J. Mass- the TBR list grows longer!

    Alli Cat's Meow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'll have to look into Beauty! And I hope you love ACOTAR by Sarah J Maas! I definitely think the sequel, ACOMAF is the best one in the trilogy. :D <3

      Delete
  4. I have loads of the books you mentioned on my Goodreads TBR list. I'm only just starting to get into retellings, but I really love the idea of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! They're so much fun. I hope you enjoy the ones you end up reading :D

      Delete
  5. The Lunar Chronicles rule!! Such a fun twist on the tales!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not think about myths! I love a great retelling of myths, especially ones that I grew up reading about. Normally those are also the stories that can stand the test of time! Haven't read Lunar Chronicles yet, but it is definitely on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Myth retellings can be so much fun :D I hope you end up loving Lunar Chronicles when you get to it! It's such a good series! <3

      Delete
  7. I enjoy retellings a lot, especially if they are done well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your information about retellings...I have never read one or knew of them. :)

    ReplyDelete