Tuesday, September 5, 2017

[Top Ten Tuesday] Books I've DNFed


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am highlighting the ten books I've recently DNFed. I want to have a disclaimer that if I have DNFed any of your favorite books please understand this isn't an attack on your reading preferences, they just weren't my cup of tea.


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

I really enjoyed reading the first three Mortal Instruments books, and I plan on reading the rest of them, but I cannot get into this book at all. I have tried three times, each time I have gotten just over half way before giving up and picking something else up. I am incredibly bummed, but three times seems enough tries for me. I am just going to look up what happens in the trilogy so I am up to date and I am going to continue the other series.



Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer

This is another book I've given multiple tries and have finally decided it isn't for me. I think if I read it when I was younger I could have been more interested in the story but I just couldn't get past the writing style.






The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

This cover is so gorgeous. I don't have too much to say about this one, I got about 30% before giving up. I was just too bored and it was putting me in a slump. Which is a real disappointed because I was hearing such great things about it and there is talk about it becoming a movie. I think if the movie does come out, I will watch it and then try the book again.





How To Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran

I couldn't really get into this one. I was pretty bored throughout it and I wasn't into the main character. I got about fifty pages in before realizing I was going to have to pick something else up in order to keep me out of a slump.






Empress of a Thousand Skies by Rhoda Belleza

This is another story that disappointed me that had a beautiful cover. I wouldn't mind trying it again in the future, but I just couldn't get into it. It was just too all over the place for me and I didn't want to force myself to read it if I wasn't feeling it.





A Pedigree To Die For by Laurien Brenenson

I was really excited about this book because it's a mystery involving poodles, which is my favorite breed of dog and the breed I own. However, I couldn't get into the writing style. It was too slow and I didn't care much about the characters.





Guardians of the Galaxy: Rocket Raccoon & Groot Steal the Galaxy by Dan Abnett

I really couldn't get into the writing style of this book. It was kind of everywhere and I couldn't figure out what was happening. I am not sure if it was me or maybe the time I was reading it, but I was really disappointed. I own it, so I could always go back to it at some point. I just don't see that happening yet. I may stick to the movies and/or comics.


Dreamstrider by Lindsay Smith

Another beautiful cover with a disappointing story. I couldn't get very far into this at all. It was an absolute mess and I cannot believe it was even published. It obviously needed more editing. I cannot bring myself to donate the book because of how much I love the cover. 





Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

I tried this book when I had a stack of other library books waiting for me and I think the pressure of the stack I had was hovering over my head and I couldn't focus on this story. I could not get into it and I swear the moment I brought it back to my library I started seeing rave reviews for it everywhere. It makes me want to try it again so I am hoping to sometime before the year is up.




Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

This series is so hyped up, and so I tried it out. Unfortunately, I couldn't get into it but I wouldn't mind trying it again. Maybe I will read the first series and then try it again. I was told I didn't have to, but I was just confused and a bit bored.





Thanks for reading!


18 comments:

  1. Ugh I forgot about Dreamstrider. What a mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so bad haha. Which is such a bummer because that cover 😍😍

      Delete
  2. hahaha I've been seeing Six of Crows on so many lists today!! I'm planning on picking it up soon and I'm starting to get nervous. Maybe if I go in with low expectations, I will be happier with it? lol. Empress of a Thousand Skies is another one making a lot of people's lists today. I was intrigued by it when it first came out but I haven't seen too many great reviews for it so I skipped it for now. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Both of them seem like they could have really been good. So I am not writing them off entirely. :)

      Delete
  3. Every Heart a Doorway is on my TBR-- I've heard a lot of good things about it, but then today suddenly I've seen it on a lot of DNF or Struggle lists. Hmmm. It's pretty short, so I'll probably give it a shot, but it's definitely giving me pause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I want to give it another try because I've been hearing great things. I just couldn't get into it and I got a fair amount into it (especially for a short book). Hopefully you like it when you read it! :)

      Delete
  4. I've tried several times to get into Tearling. And always come away without finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :/ there just isn't anything there gripping me unfortunately.

      Delete
  5. You're the second person now who has mentioned really struggling to get into Clockwork Angel. I find that very interesting, although I hadn't heard of that series until today.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I enjoyed the first few books in the Mortal Instruments series but I just could not push through Clockwork Angel!

      Delete
  6. Hi! I've seen Six of Crows on a lot of lists. I never read it even though I went to a talk by Leigh Bardugo and bought the book. haha. :) It's on my TBR still, but it's slowly moving down the list!
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I just couldn't seem to get into it. But it's so popular I may try it again! I hope you like it! :)

      Delete
  7. I loved Artemis Fowl, but I read it when I was 14, so probably more target audience age! I really loved Six of Crows, but can definitely understand why it might not have been for you.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/05/top-ten-tuesday-123/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to try out the first series before trying Six of Crows again. I'm hoping getting a better idea of the world will help me like SoC!! :)

      Delete
  8. I dnf'd Empress of a Thousand Skies too.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :/ I just couldn't get into it. It definitely makes me feel a little validated to know others had the same issue! <3

      Delete
  9. Of your list, I have only read A Pedigree to Die for, and I don't remember much about it, which says something doesn't it? LOL Great list, Heather! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a bummer! I own a poodle and I was so excited for a poodle based story!

      Thank you for reading! <3

      Delete