Tuesday, August 29, 2017

[Top Ten Tuesday] Book Gems: Autobiography & Non-Fiction


Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am highlighting the ten books I think are hidden gems in the genres Autobiography and Non-Fiction.Like always, if I have reviewed it I will link it.

Buffering by Hannah Hart 


This is definitely one of the top autobiographies I have ever read. I love Hannah's writing style and she's an amazing story teller. I can only imagine how hard it was to he so transparent in her writing about her hardships but I believe it made her book a more powerful and inspirational story.
My review. 





Scrappy Little Nobody by Anna Kendrick 

 

I have always been a fan of Anna's acting and humor in the past but I didn't know much about her, other than that she was from Maine (where I live). So I picked it up kind of on a whim hoping it'll have her humor. And it totally did, I was pleasantly surprised not only by how funny it was but how talented she is. I knew I didn't have much knowledge about her but her being on Broadway was something I hadn't expected. I found myself looking up videos of her on Broadway and she was so good (and adorable!)
My review.




How To Fight Presidents by Daniel O'Brien 


I picked this up because at the time I didn't know what to read and my fiancé (boyfriend at the time) suggested this. I remember him laughing so hard while reading it, so I decided to give it a shot. I found it super hilarious just like my fiancé did (maybe not as much as him) and I found the little tidbits I learned from past presidents really interesting. It was both humorous and educational. Plus I was still riding my Hamilton-obsessed high.





Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter 


Talking of Hamilton, this book is amazing. If you're a fan of Hamilton this book is a must read/have. It's got gorgeous photos of the original cast on stage, the lyrics, and behind the scenes on making the musical. It's well written and beautifully put together.I think it's probably one of the best well manufactured books I own. 




Every Night, Josephine by Jacqueline Susann 


I picked this autobiography up because it's about a woman with her toy poodle Josephine, and I am a woman with a toy poodle Rolo so I was really excited to relate. Granted, Jacqueline Susann was older, married, and rich, so I couldn't exactly relate there, but when she talked about her poodle Josie, it was similar to the way I talk about Rolo. It's honestly a super cute autobiography.
My review. 




Binge by Tyler Oakley 


I recognize that Tyler Oakley is a required taste, but I love him. I have been a fan of his YouTube videos for a while and I really enjoyed his book. He talked about high school, relationships, his eating disorder, and coming out. I think his overall message about being true to yourself and not being ashamed of yourself is a great one to spread, especially to his younger viewers.  




The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher 


This book is a collection of poetry and writing Carrie Fisher did when she was on set of Star Wars. Carrie was an amazing writer, even at such a young age and I really want to read more of her work. However, I recommend this book to mostly Star Wars fans, because it focuses a lot on her affair with Harrison Ford, which wasn't something I was prepared for but I think this book is worth the read just on her writing alone.
My review.
 


Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien 


My favorite animal (other than dogs) are owls. Most of my friends and family get me owl inspired gifts because they know I love them. One day in college I read this book when I saw it in the library and I absolutely loved it. It's such a sweet story about a woman (who was a professional) taking care of a injured owl and forming a bond with him. I also learned a lot about owls, which I really appreciate because I am always up for more owl trivia/knowledge.




All I Know Now by Carrie Hope Fletcher


This is one of the books I have read that although is geared towards a younger age demographic than I was when I read it, I recommend it to younger readers. Carrie gives great advice and I definitely would have benefited from it if it was available when I was 12-15 years old. If you have a young teenager, I recommend giving them this book. 





Marley & Me by John Grogen 

 

This book has a little place in my heart because I read it the summer before my first family dog passed away. She was getting older and there was a good chance she wasn't going to make it the year. I remember laying on our living room floor, using her body as a pillow (she was a Husky/German Shepherd mix), and just sobbing as I read this book. I haven't read a book with a dog that dies at the end (or even watch something where a dog is going to die) since then because I am transported to that feeling of dread of losing my best friend. I recommend it because the first chunk is pretty sweet and funny. But know the end is incredibly sad. 




Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

  1. I'm not really a dog person, but I adored MARLEY & ME. It made me laugh and ugly cry at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Princess Diarist looks like such a good book. I need to read it soon.

    Here is our TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to try that Hamilton book! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Scrappy Little Nobody was so good! :)
    My TTT
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! She's so funny!! I'll check out your blog post now! :)

      Delete