Wednesday, June 5, 2019

May Wrap-Up 2019



Photo Credit

May has ended so now it's time to reflect on my month! I know it seems like I just had a wrap-up posted because my April wrap-up was posted so late in the month, but I am still really excited to talk about May! I will list my book reviews, other blog posts, movies, tv shows, life updates, music, and plans for the next month. I will of course link any reviews and anything non-bookish (which means I don't have a review) I will write a few sentences of my general thoughts! This is the year I plan on reading books I either on my shelves or on my kindle that I really need to get to. I also need to tackle finishing a lot of series I have started in the past.

Let's jump in!

Book Reviews

My Hero Academia Volumes 7-9 by Kohei Horikoshi
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Shades of Magic Vol 1: The Steel Prince by V.E. Schwab

Movies Watched

[HBO] Bring It On - My mom visited the first few days of this month because I needed to get a root canal and Matt couldn't bring us, and we decided to watch a few movies while she was here. The first being Bring It On, a classic. We both love watching old movies like this that we'd watch together when I was young and it was just a fun time. Also, holy shit did I have (and honestly, still have) a huge crush on Gabrielle Union, she's so pretty.
[HBO] Crazy Rich Asians - Talking about crushes, Constance Wu is one of the prettiest women on this planet. I had seen this before not too long with Matt but I knew my mom would like it, and she did. If you haven't seen Crazy Rich Asians I highly recommend it.
[HBO] Love, Simon - This is another cute movie I thought my mom would love, and she did. Love, Simon is a really great movie based off a great book (Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda).
[Movie Theater] Avengers: Endgame - This movie broke my heart. It's epic, action packed, intense, amazing. But I am still broken over it. I love the MCU so much.
[Netflix] Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, & Vile - Unfortunately, I wasn't a fan of this. I think both Zac Efron and Lily Collins did fantastic jobs in their roles and I thought they were amazing. However,  I thought that the movie was basically a fully acted out edition of the Bundy Tapes, which made it a bit boring and already done. They also changed and twisted some of the real life events to fit a specific narrative and I thought that was a bit gross, honestly.
[Netflix DVD] King of Thorns - This movie was so confusing at times, but I still oddly liked it even if I am so sure I didn't fully understand it. I thought it was fun, and action packed. I just wish it wasn't so confusing.
[Netflix] Thor: Ragnarok - This isn't the first time I've watched this, but it's one of my favorite MCU movies and I am so mad that I never got to see it in theaters because it's amazing. And Thor is my second favorite MCU hero! This movie is a perfect balance of comedy and action. Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, and Tessa Thompson are amazing in it. I cannot recommend this movie enough.
[Netflix] Ant Man & The Wasp - I am so happy we finally watched this!! I liked Ant Man previously but I didn't love it or anything. It wasn't something I would re-watch often but I found it fun. This one was way better! I don't regret not seeing it in theaters like I regret not seeing Thor: Ragnarok but I did seem to enjoy it more than the first Ant-Man.

TV Shows (Finished)

[HBO] Game of Thrones (Season 8) - This season had it's good moments and it's bad moments. I didn't hate it like a lot of fans seemed to but I also wasn't a big fan of all of the decisions made. I'll really miss it though, I already miss it honestly.
[Netflix] Black Butler (Season 1) - This show is so much fun and I cannot wait to continue with season 2. We tried continuing right afterwards but the Funimation app wouldn't let us, it was some weird glitch, but we are hoping to get to it sometime in June.
[Netflix] Umbrella Academy (Season 1) - It took us way too long to watch this but we have done it! And I really loved it. Vanya and Klaus are my favorites. Both Matt and I weren't big fans of the ending, to be honest, but we definitely plan on watching more whenever season 2 is released.
[Hulu] Sailor Moon (Season 3) - This was such a good season! I am in love with Sailor Uranus, Haruka. Overall I really enjoyed this season and I hope Hulu gets season 4 dubbed soon so we can continue.
[Crunchyroll] Free! Iwatobi Swim Club - I am genuinely loving this show so much! Season one was perfect and honestly I got surprisingly emotional in the last episode so I am obviously hooked. 

Currently Watching

[Crunchyroll] Free! Eternal Summer - I really loved the first season and although I am only a couple episodes into season two I'm already loving it. I never thought I'd love the sports anime genre but here I am watching my second one this year and falling in love. 
[Netflix] Voltron - Matt and I watch this show in the morning before he heads off to work now that we finished the third season of Sailor Moon. I am really loving this show but it's not the kind of show that I can binge watch, so watching an episode or two every morning is perfect.
[Netflix] Sword Art Online - This show is one we watched when everyone was super into it a few years ago. We really loved it but it's been so long I forgot so much. It's been fun to watch and we are almost done! Only a handful of episodes left.
[Netflix] Stranger Things - I am trying to re-watch Stranger Things seasons 1 & 2 before season 3 is dropped in July. It's my favorite Netflix original show and I am so excited for season 3.

Music

[YouTube] Plushie Gun by Doll.ia -This is just a fun song. I discovered it on TikTok and it got stuck in my head. So I downloaded Soundcloud just so I can listen to it a bunch and it is a really fun song to rap along to.
[YouTube] Bakugou by Kamil -This song is inspired by Bakugou, a character (my favorite one) in My Hero Academia and honestly it's so much fun to rap to. I love the energy the song has and it fits Bakugou so well.
[EP] 2WAYMIRROR by Gabbie Hanna - I am really happy with this EP! Gabbie's music has always interested me, and I've enjoyed her past singles. Often they're not about anything I can relate to but they're catchy and fun. On this EP my favorite is Perfect Day but Pillowcase gets stuck in my head often.
[Album] Cuz I Love You by Lizzo - This album is amazing. I've only listened to it a handful of times but each time  I've enjoyed it so much. I do have some favorites: Juice, Like A Girl, Tempo, Exactly How I Feel, & Boys. I highly recommend checking out this album!!
[Single] Guiltless by Dodie - This song is one that I didn't know I'd relate to until I really listened to it. It's heartbreaking and so delicate.
[Single] Nightmare by Halsey - This song is such a feminism anthem. I love Halsey so much, and I am so excited for new music from her.
[Single] I Like (The Idea) Of You by Tessa Violet - Tessa is such a badass and she really seems to step out of her comfort zone and honestly she fucking killed it. She looks so confident and empowering and I love her for both the catchy song and the music video.
[Cast Album] Six: The Musical - This musical is SO much fun!! It's fairly short, but my favorite songs from the album are Don't  Lose Ur Head, Get Down, and All You Wanna Do.

New Favorite Apps

Mystic Messenger - This is such an interesting app game!! It's all in real time, so you have to respond to the texts and "calls" as they come in to get the whole story. It's a time suck and takes away a lot of your sleep, but in the 11 days the story you get swept up in all of it. It's so much fun, despite taking away so much time and sleep. There are multiple alternate endings for each character so there area lot of storylines but I've only done it once so far. I think knowing the amount of time it takes I'd want to do it when I knew I could lose sleep. But I am excited to continue!
The Arcana -  This is another app where it's a story based game! It isn't set in real time like Mystic Messenger but it's similar in it's storytelling. I am in love with this game, so much, but I am still playing it. I haven't gone through every character's storyarcs yet.

Movie Trailers

[Trailer] Onward - THIS LOOKS SO CUTE OMG. I am so excited!! I don't have much else to say. Disney and Pixar movies are always the best so I am excited to watch this in theaters.

Life Updates

Thing are slowly getting back to normal reading-wise. I am currently reading a book and I have a few lined up afterwards. I have seven manga books from the library to read and one comic book volume. It feels good to have books lines up to read and to be really excited for them.

Wedding planning has been really picking up as days go by. Invites have been sent out and arriving now, I have to make multiple appointments to make, and I have another dress fitting this month. Which is all super exciting and I cannot wait but it's also time consuming and a bit nerve wracking because I am obviously new at all of this and I want to do everything perfectly. I am a huge awful perfectionist so thank the stars I have Matt to help keep me calm. It's a lot to remember and plan and make appointments for so I am just trying to stay focused.

Overall, things are feeling okay. Mental illness can really suck and although I am experiencing more low days versus high days because of my mental illnesses I have a really good support system. I am hoping reading will help improve because I am always happiest while reading. I've also put a lot of my focus in being creative by continuing to practice calligraphy and continuing my bullet journal, which is getting cuter and cuter as I set up each month's layout. I want to get back into learning tarot as well, because that's another thing that meant a lot to me and I am mad I paused on learning it.

How was your May? What was your favorite book, movie, or tv show you consumed? I hope you're well.

Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Oh, Bring It On! You just hit me with a WAVE of nostalgia, I'm going to have to go back and watch it asap - might even do a double feature with 10 Things I Hate About You. I've just finished watching the first season of Dead To Me on Netflix, one of the darkest comedies I've ever encountered, but I loved it. Keep trucking on, doll, and I hope June has more high days in store for you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE 10 Things I Hate About You!!! I need to still watch Dead To Me, I hear nothing but amazing things. Thank you so much Sheree you're the sweetest <3 <3 <3

      Delete