Tuesday, March 19, 2019

[Top Ten Tuesday] Spring 2019 TBR





Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish but is currently being run by That Artsy Reader Girl. A prompt is given each week, and I hope to do it every week so I always have something going up on Tuesdays. This week I am talking about ten books I plan on reading this spring! These are all ones I am almost positive I will be reading (or attempting to read) in the next few months so hopefully the reviews for each of them will be also be up as I finish them! I am vaguely dividing this post with six new (to me) books that I own and four books I plan on re-reading. Because I own (or will own) all of these books in the Spring I am almost certain I'll be picking them up!


The Near Witch
V.E. Schwab 

Victoria Schwab will always and forever be an auto-buy author for me, and when I heard that her first ever book was being re-published with a new cover I was so excited. I cannot wait to jump into this story I am already hearing amazing things about it! 
Synopsis
All-new deluxe edition of an out-of-print gem, containing in-universe short story “The Ash-Born Boy” and a never-before-seen introduction from V.E. Schwab.

The Near Witch is only an old story told to frighten children.

If the wind calls at night, you must not listen. The wind is lonely, and always looking for company.

There are no strangers in the town of Near.

These are the truths that Lexi has heard all her life.

But when an actual stranger, a boy who seems to fade like smoke, appears outside her home on the moor at night, she knows that at least one of these sayings is no longer true.

The next night, the children of Near start disappearing from their beds, and the mysterious boy falls under suspicion.

As the hunt for the children intensifies, so does Lexi’s need to know about the witch that just might be more than a bedtime story, about the wind that seems to speak through the walls at night, and about the history of this nameless boy.

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow
Jessica  Townsend 

This is a book that I have noticed has amazing reviews and is often compared to Harry Potter in the sense of that childhood adventure feeling that HP is known for. It sounds like such a fun middle grade story so I am excited to read it!
Synopsis
A cursed girl escapes death and finds herself in a magical world - but is then tested beyond her wildest imagination

Morrigan Crow is cursed. Having been born on Eventide, the unluckiest day for any child to be born, she's blamed for all local misfortunes, from hailstorms to heart attacks--and, worst of all, the curse means that Morrigan is doomed to die at midnight on her eleventh birthday.

But as Morrigan awaits her fate, a strange and remarkable man named Jupiter North appears. Chased by black-smoke hounds and shadowy hunters on horseback, he whisks her away into the safety of a secret, magical city called Nevermoor.

It's then that Morrigan discovers Jupiter has chosen her to contend for a place in the city's most prestigious organization: the Wundrous Society. In order to join, she must compete in four difficult and dangerous trials against hundreds of other children, each boasting an extraordinary talent that sets them apart - an extraordinary talent that Morrigan insists she does not have. To stay in the safety of Nevermoor for good, Morrigan will need to find a way to pass the tests - or she'll have to leave the city to confront her deadly fate.
Echo North
Joanna Ruth Meyer

Other than the synopsis I know very little about this book. It was on my wishlist and my fiancĂ© Matt so kindly got it for me for Valentine's Day because he also thought it sounded really cool. I typically try going into books pretty blindly. I noticed it had pretty high ratings on Goodreads so I am generally pretty excited. 

Synopsis
Echo Alkaev’s safe and carefully structured world falls apart when her father leaves for the city and mysteriously disappears. Believing he is lost forever, Echo is shocked to find him half-frozen in the winter forest six months later, guarded by a strange talking wolf—the same creature who attacked her as a child. The wolf presents Echo with an ultimatum: If she lives with him for one year, he will ensure her father makes it home safely. But there is more to the wolf than Echo realizes.

In his enchanted house beneath a mountain, each room must be sewn together to keep the home from unraveling, and something new and dark and strange lies behind every door. When centuries-old secrets unfold, Echo discovers a magical library full of books-turned-mirrors, and a young man named Hal who is trapped inside of them. As the year ticks by, the rooms begin to disappear, and Echo must solve the mystery of the wolf’s enchantment before her time is up, otherwise Echo, the wolf, and Hal will be lost forever.
 The Case For Jamie
Brittany Cavallaro 

This is the third book to the Charlotte Holmes series, so I will be sharing the synopsis below for the book one, A Study in Charlotte, because I don't want to spoil anyone! I absolutely love this series and I cannot wait to continue the story! I didn't love the second book, but I have noticed that isn't too unpopular of an opinion and the third and fourth books make up for it, so I am ready to jump back in!

Synopsis
The last thing Jamie Watson wants is a rugby scholarship to Sherringford, a Connecticut prep school just an hour away from his estranged father. But that’s not the only complication: Sherringford is also home to Charlotte Holmes, the famous detective’s great-great-great-granddaughter, who has inherited not only Sherlock’s genius but also his volatile temperament. From everything Jamie has heard about Charlotte, it seems safer to admire her from afar.

From the moment they meet, there’s a tense energy between them, and they seem more destined to be rivals than anything else. But when a Sherringford student dies under suspicious circumstances, ripped straight from the most terrifying of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Jamie can no longer afford to keep his distance. Jamie and Charlotte are being framed for murder, and only Charlotte can clear their names. But danger is mounting and nowhere is safe—and the only people they can trust are each other.

 Wicked Saints
Emily A. Duncan 

I am so ready for this book. I was lucky to win a pre-order of this book in a giveaway, so once it is published and at my mailbox I plan on jumping right in!! It looks so badass and from what I've gathered from early reviews, it's living up to the hype surrounding it. 

Synopsis
A girl who can speak to gods must save her people without destroying herself.

A prince in danger must decide who to trust.

A boy with a monstrous secret waits in the wings.

Together, they must assassinate the king and stop the war.

In a centuries-long war where beauty and brutality meet, their three paths entwine in a shadowy world of spilled blood and mysterious saints, where a forbidden romance threatens to tip the scales between dark and light. Wicked Saints is the thrilling start to Emily A. Duncan’s devastatingly Gothic Something Dark and Holy trilogy..

 Romanov
Nadine Brandes
I am absolutely dying to get my hands on this book when it comes out. It is an Anastasia Romanov retelling, which I am so pumped for. I am still hoping to maybe win another giveaway, since a lot of our money currently is being put towards wedding funds but if not I may need to scrounge some money and pre-order this book at the very last minute. This is one of my most anticipated books of 2019 so I am so excited! It looks amazing. It also makes me want to re-watch Anastasia ASAP.
Synopsis
 The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them . . . and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of survival are to either release the spell, and deal with the consequences, or enlist help from Zash, the handsome soldier who doesn’t act like the average Bolshevik. Nastya’s never dabbled in magic before, but it doesn’t frighten her as much as her growing attraction for Zash. She likes him. She thinks he might even like her . . .

That is, until she’s on one side of a firing squad . . . and he’s on the other.


Carry On
Rainbow Rowell 

The sequel to Carry On has been not only announced but the cover has also been revealed and I am SO HAPPY! I really love this charming goofy little story and I am really excited to be reunited with Simon and Baz. It has been three-ish years since I've re-read this so I am going to do that to prepare for the sequel, Wayward Son!

Synopsis
Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 
J.K. Rowling

I have been taking my time with this current Harry Potter re-read, and I am really excited to jump right into the fifth book. This is where I start to get even more emotional because I am incredibly attached to the marauders and we get to see Sirius and Remus so much in this one. Opening a Harry Potter book is like coming home after a long tiring journey and honestly I need to visit home a little more often. With the synopsis for this one I am just going to use the Order of the Phoenix one, I assume most people know the general story enough to not be spoiled but just in case I thought I'd mention it here.
Synopsis
 There is a door at the end of a silent corridor. And it’s haunting Harry Pottter’s dreams. Why else would he be waking in the middle of the night, screaming in terror?

Harry has a lot on his mind for this, his fifth year at Hogwarts: a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher with a personality like poisoned honey; a big surprise on the Gryffindor Quidditch team; and the looming terror of the Ordinary Wizarding Level exams. But all these things pale next to the growing threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named---a threat that neither the magical government nor the authorities at Hogwarts can stop.

As the grasp of darkness tightens, Harry must discover the true depth and strength of his friends, the importance of boundless loyalty, and the shocking price of unbearable sacrifice.

His fate depends on them all.

New Moon
Stephenie Meyer

I started my re-read of the Twilight series in February and I think it's time to continue by reading book two! It's been close to a decade at least since I've read this series so it's been a lot of fun. I know this series has a bad reputation and gets a lot of criticisms, and although some of those criticisms are valid I am so grateful for the Twilight saga. They got me into more YA books, I read the series with my Nan, who originally got me into Harry Potter as a little kid, and it's just a fun series. 

Synopsis
I knew we were both in mortal danger. Still, in that instant, I felt well. Whole. I could feel my heart racing in my chest, the blood pulsing hot and fast through my veins again. My lungs filled deep with the sweet scent that came off his skin. It was like there had never been any hole in my chest. I was perfect - not healed, but as if there had never been a wound in the first place.

For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is even more dangerous than Bella could ever have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of one evil vampire, but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realize their troubles may be just beginning...
 Legend
Marie Lu
This trilogy deserves more attention because it's probably my top favorite YA dystopian trilogy I've read. We are getting a fourth book titled Rebel, which should be released at the end of this year. Because it's been so long since I've read this trilogy I am excited to read it before Rebel's release! If you haven't read this trilogy and both liked other YA dystopian stories (The Hunger Games, Divergent, Shatter Me, etc) and aren't completely over the genre please pick this one up. It's worth it. 
Synopsis 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Those are some of the books I plan on reading in the Spring of this year! I'd love to know any books you plan on reading this Spring! Do we have any in common?


Thanks for reading!

12 comments:

  1. The near witch is on my list too, really need to get around to it!

    Lotte | www.lottelauv.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, The Near Witch sounds amazing.

    My Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. That is what I hear! I am so incredibly excited to read it :D

      Delete
  4. I just started Nevermoor the other day and I am loving it so far! Echo North is one I've had my eye on for a while and really hope to read soon as well. Order of the Phoenix is probably one of my favorite of the Harry Potter books (which seems to be an unpopular opinion?), so I hope it's a great re-read! I read an ARC of Romanov and really enjoyed it, I hope you do too! Actually, I hope you enjoy all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I am so excited to pick it up! I hear Nevermoor is amazing!! And Order of the Phoenix used to be my least favorite and now I am honestly not sure. I re-read them two-three years ago and I am unsure if it was the right timing or what but I loved OotP so much!!

      Oooh I am happy to hear you loved Romanov! It looks amazing I hope I love everything too! I hope your spring TBR is filled with five star reads! Thanks for stopping by Jordan! <3 :)

      Delete
  5. I hope you love all these! I’m also excited for the Carry On sequel. I need to read that VE Schwab novel, too. I’m glad they re-released it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And right!? Wayward Son looks SO good. And yess! I saw today it was on the New York Times Bestseller list and I am SO PROUD AND HAPPY for Victoria Schwab!! After her book being taken off shelves this much be such a rewarding/validating experience. I love her so much.

      I hope you love it when you read it! Honestly, I hope we both do :D

      Delete
  6. I really want to read Nevermoor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do itt!!!! I'd love to know what you think when/if you read it! :D <3

      Delete