Friday, January 18, 2019

[Book Blogger Hop] January 18th-24th:Writing Pet Peeves



Book Blogger Hop's purpose is to give bloggers a chance to discover and follow other blogs, learn about new books, befriend bloggers, and gain followers. Each week the hop will start on a Friday and end on Thursday where there will be a weekly prompt following a bookish question.


Question:

Is there anything that drives you bonkers when you're reading a book and makes you want to tell the author a thing or two?  (submitted by C.Lee @ cleemckenziebooks)


Answer: 
I don't have a lot of writing pet peeves, but one that definitely bothers me is when there are a lot of POV's and they don't all seem necessary. Or, when all of the POVs seem the same and there isn't a distinct voice for each character. I feel like there being more than one perspectives in a story is such a hard thing to pull off and when it's done right it can be super great but sometimes I'll read a book and it'll be unnecessary to the story.

Thanks for reading!




9 comments:

  1. That drives me nuts as well! If they all sound the same, it's so hard to keep them all straight as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Double "as well" haha I'm running on fumes... it's been a LONG day! haha

      Delete
    2. Hahaha you're good girl! Yeah! It sucks when the perspectives are not unique enough in how the voices are written!

      Delete
  2. I don't mind multiple POV's sometimes, but I'm with you - it has to work for the story!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah!! I love multiple POVs as along as they work with the story and that the voices are unique so it's not too confusing on who you're reading!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I don't like this, either. I think that two POVs in a book is enough! The switching back and forth can be confusing if there are more than two POVs. Some authors can do it very well, though. It all depends on the author's skill. But I do prefer it when there are no more than two people telling a story! :)

    Thanks for sharing!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!! Some authors really do pull off multiple POVs so well!! But others just don't.

      Delete
  4. I like multiple POVs as long as they work. I've read a few where you get a scene from person 1's POV and then the same scene from person 2's POV as the second chapter. Then back to Person 1 for chapter 3 and chapter 4 is same scene from person 2. It doesn't really progress the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! If the multiple POVs work well I can love them! I also agree that the multiple POVs need to serve a purpose to the story! Otherwise it seems so unnecessary.

      Delete